• ...and so much more!
  • Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    My wallet is full (fat) with cards/license/medical cards/etc. Made this small one for the summer time in shorts. Holds my license, a credit card and a couple bills. Much easier when we are walking a lot. Hand sewn.

My ancestors were Swedes, DNA shows they traveled a lot along the traditional Viking routes. It has my first name on it. I know the middle letter is crooked, oh well. It is in my pocket anyhow.

Don
    wallet.jpg

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    My wallet is full (fat) with cards/license/medical cards/etc. Made this small one for the summer time in shorts. Holds my license, a credit card and a couple bills. Much easier when we are walking a lot. Hand sewn.

My ancestors were Swedes, DNA shows they traveled a lot along the traditional Viking routes. It has my first name on it. I know the middle letter is crooked, oh well. It is in my pocket anyhow.

Don
    View attachment 294241
    I like it I think the crooked letter makes it look even cooler.

I made a 4 pocket card wallet when I first started seriously doing leather. I wanted something smaller than my regular wallet and now it's bigger than my old wallet:ugh:

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    Really glad I found this thread. Over the weekend I decided I wanted to give leather working a try. I'd like to start off with a simple walled or some mag pouches. Any advice on the bare minimum tooling I need to get started would be appreciated. Also, which supplier would you recommend I get the basics from? Thanks for any help.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Really glad I found this thread. Over the weekend I decided I wanted to give leather working a try. I'd like to start off with a simple walled or some mag pouches. Any advice on the bare minimum tooling I need to get started would be appreciated. Also, which supplier would you recommend I get the basics from? Thanks for any help.
    If you're going to put designs on stuff, I'd recommend practicing on scrap leather.

And I haven't done any leather work in YEARS, but I used to use Tandy Leathercraft.
    I don't know what's available anymore.

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    If you're going to put designs on stuff, I'd recommend practicing on scrap leather.

And I haven't done any leather work in YEARS, but I used to use Tandy Leathercraft.
    I don't know what's available anymore.
    Thanks for the feedback. Along with the basic tools I plan on getting some scraps to practice on for a bit.

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    I can loan you my leathercraft tools till you figure out IF you like it, and what you want to get.
    No charge.

I think I have some leather with the box, and you can have that.
    That's such a generous offer! I will take you up on that so long as you set a deadline date to get them back to you by. I don't want to take advantage and keep them longer than you're comfortable with.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Bare minimum tools you need are box cutter or xacto knife, plastic cutting board or self sealing hobby mat, some sort of hammer/mallet/maul, awl or stitching chisels. That would get you a rough finished product. To have it look and feel more finished you'll need an edge beveler and slicker and a stitch groove if you like the stitches set into the leather.

A lot of guys look down on the Amazon kits but I did a bunch of work with a kit from Amazon. Everything I made up to and including dadsmiths holster were made using tools from a sub $20 kit.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Haven't had time to do much leather work since I've been working on the house alone after my dad messed his back up again and is waiting on surgery #4 now. Then I messed mine up and now my right leg decided not to work so I have time again.

Knocked out a BUNCH of coasters. Did plain ones of different colors, sun and moon, infantry rifles, and flags. Would post pictures but don't think I can make it down the stairs without tumbling down lol.

Still need to finish my wife's long wallet for our anniversary last month. This is our leather year so it's my time to shine.

Top Bottom