• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    We had a little at home date night last night order some Texas Roadhouse and shot the pellet guns and she blew me away. Her first time shooting and she was blowing up chalk board chalk and her groups could be covered with a dime. I just went out and bought her another hatsan edge

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We had a little at home date night last night order some Texas Roadhouse and shot the pellet guns and she blew me away. Her first time shooting and she was blowing up chalk board chalk and her groups could be covered with a dime. I just went out and bought her another hatsan edge

Nice! My gun seems to like the H&N Terminator pellets. I nailed a starling from about 32 yards this morning. I still need to re-zero it but it's an improvement over the Crossmans for sure. My Beeman pointed pellets came today. They weren't marked, so I weighed one and it was 15.4 grains, so in between the H&N and Crossmans in weight. Haven't tried them yet.

freekforge

Master
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    The new edge is shooting the h&n baracuda hunters pretty good. For as cheap as the are they seem to be good shooters. I thought about picking up a cheap b3 rifle to tinker with.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Forgot I had this picture. This is from my Gamo Wasp 17cal. Not to bad.

AGAhjLh.jpg

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Here's my Norinco .22 cal side cocker. I picked it up from a friend for $20. It had the box and manual. The 4.3mm (I think) was crossed out on it and hand written was 5.6.

It's every bit of 6 pounds, maybe more. But it's accurate and fun to shoot.

YPHfAub.jpg

hUln8kM.jpg

A3bZMru.jpg

freekforge

Master
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Has anybody played with a 2400kt I've been looking at getting a pair from the custom shop for the lady and me to play with. Might even grab some hipac hpa kits.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    So I did a little accuracy testing the the pellets I have on hand. The .22 are Crossman Premier 14.3 gr. The 2 .177 cal I have are Crossman. One is Premier SuperMatch 7.9 gr and the other is the Copperhead hyper velocity pointed pellets.

Here's the rifles.

hPcCABN.png

Top is a Gamo Wasp Maxxim in .177. It has the factory scope. The middle is a Norinco side cocker in .22. The bottom is an Umarex NXG. (I picked up two of these for $11 each when Walmart had there last cleanse.

And the target.

SWrgE2n.jpg

#1 was the Norinco. With the iron sights and the direction of the sun, I had a tough time seeing the rear sight. But it wasn't horrible.

#2 was the UX with the Copperheads. The fiber optic sight was a bit easier to make out.

#3 was the UX with the Super Match. Notably better.

#4 was the Gamo with the Super Match. Yes that's five shots. I put 2 exactly on top of each other.

#5 was the Gamo with the Copperheads.

freekforge

Master
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    That gamo did great.

We shot some yesterday since I got her hooked. shes able to split drinking straws in half at 20yds. I got the chronograph out today and did some math and I'm getting 17.87fpe on the her hatsan edge.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I forgot to say this is at 11 yards. That's the longest shot I can get with a decent backstop behind my target trap.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    at 25 yards (distance most bunnies are from me) The Premier 14.3s wouldnt hold but a 1" group. That was yesterday at a buddy's range.

Today my overpriced (supply/demand issues) Crow Magnum 18.21gr showed up. They supposedly group in half that. I'll have to try those soon.

And I'm at a bit of a disadvantage. I shoot better with a scope, but I'm typically seeing my prey at dusk to civil twilight; too dark for a reasonably priced (for an airgun) scope to be able to see anything. And no more than I shoot it, no way in hell I'm putting a scope on it that is double the cost of the airgun. (that may or may not hold zero below 1/2" groups anyway)
    Just wish I had a place to shoot it closer than 30 mins away.

two70

Master
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    A bit different type of airgun varmint hunting:
    [video=youtube;ehIGpO1DCPM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehIGpO1DCPM[/video]

[video=youtube;enQpWktRqiQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enQpWktRqiQ[/video]

[video=youtube;yQEXhZbAm70]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQEXhZbAm70[/video]

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Recently picked up a Gamo Whisper .22cal. Haven't had time to mount the scope and sight it in. Looking forward to taking it to the range.

freekforge

Master
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I ordered 2 custom shop 2400KTs for our birthdays. Hers will have a 18" .22 barrel and mine will have a 24" .22 barrel. Said it will take 3-6 weeks, can't wait.

freekforge

Master
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Our rifles get here tomorrow. way faster shipping than the website said. I'm going to pick up a couple scopes and some co2 powerlets after work to have ready.

freekforge

Master
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Picked up a cheap center point mil dot scope to put on my 2400 and a box of 40 co2 Powerlets. I'm going to put a scope I already have on hers, I don't want a really busy reticle distracting her.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Looking forward to a range report, I'm considering getting one. I can't see myself sending $$$$$ for PCP Rifle. I mostly do causal shooting.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Aug 2, 2008
    Been shooting a .25 Benjamin Marauder for 3-4 years.Unbelievably accurate-sub 1/2" at 50 yards and a blast to squirrel hunt with.Shooting a 25.9 grain pellet at 850 fps.Point of impact never changes,unlike the springers I had.

freekforge

Master
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    With the 2400 you can get high pressure air cylinders so you can pump them up externally.

I ordered a 2240 pistol today that I plan on cutting the barrel down on and putting a micro red dot on top of. Might have to make a pellet pistol thread next.

freekforge

Master
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    If you ever consider a 2400 I have two words "get it".
    These things are laser beams. I haven't collected too much data but with room temperature co2 powerlets I was getting a 623fps average for the first 10 shots out of my 24" barrel. Groups off of a front bag at 25yds are about 5/16" could definitely tighten those up with a back bag since I was a little shaky. I didn't get a speed on hers but we used a bog deathgrip tripod and got a 1/4" at 20yds. The target that came with hers showed 3/16" at 10yds with 5 shots in the upper 500s for fps. This was with crosman premier 14.3gr HPs.

Top Bottom