• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    I just wanted to get some feedback on this.

I live on 11 acres of which 4 is grass the rest rough woods. My property backs up to Silver Creek about one mile from the mouth of the Ohio river. I am not exagerating when I say I am daily dragging some large locust, oak, elm, poplar, maple, sage orange, walnut, ash, etc...limbs out of the lawn to chop and burn in my fire pit. I use Stihl chainsaws for the real big jobs but mainly I chop.

I find myself chopping away at a log over 12" inches in diameter which I could chainsaw through in a second, yet I chop. My neighbor looks out accross his front field often and screams "use your chainsaw dummy"! It would be easier and faster but the bottom line is I enjoy chopping. It relieves stress and is good exercise and even though it can be brutal hard work sometimes depending on storm damage or what not I enjoy it still.

This thread is to express that what I have found to be the best chopper bar none is my Fiskars hatchet. Ive got a BK14 machax and a Omnivore bladeworks ETA tomahawk which are nice. The BK14 is more heavy duty machete and the tomahawk chops great. I wish I could say my $400 tomahawk chopped better than my $40 Fiskars but it doesnt. I realize the tomahawk is a tactical type tool where my hatchet is built strictly to chop. I have a slew of cheap machetes and axes and that damn Fiskars puts everything to shame.

Have any of you guys used a Fiskars hatchet and does anybody know of something that may chop through an 8" piece of green hardwood better.

I painted the head red at one point, I was bored I guess. I just added the cushioned grip tape and its nice but not necessary. I purchased the wrap for another project and I didnt like the way it turned out so I put it on the hatchet.

2012-10-14072525.jpg

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Right now I am torn between getting the Fiskars or the Eastswing Camping axe. Right now I am leaning towards the Eastswing because I really dig the leather sheath that it comes with. Lol..

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have both. One thing I like about the Estwing is the handle doesn't vibrate as bad when you chop. The Fiskars stuff makes my hand hurt after prolonged use. However, you can't beat them if your your putting it on a pack, and want to keep things light.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Estwing

If you like sharp objects then Estwing is going to be getting more of your money. Check out their website. They are releasing a Tactical hawk and a double headed axe

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Thanks for the heads up. I don't have any tomahawks yet. My wife was trying to talk me into buying one a few weeks ago that she was looking at on arizonacustomknives.com. I have my sights set on a Busse Bush Wacker Mistress right now.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    if you want the ultimate chopper then get you a gransfors bruks small forest axe. it's the same size and is a freaking laser from the shop. it came sharper than most my knives lol. if you want a cheaper version then check out wetterlings. they are wood handled but are crazy sharp and 2 of the best woods tools out there imo.

DSCN0174.jpg

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Its a Gerber

Now I remember, Its a Gerber camp axe!

I work at a Stihl dealer and Stihl has several shears, hatchets and axes they offer that are made by Fiskars. I found that the identical hatchet laveled Gerber was $10 less at Bass Pro than the same hatchet with orange paint. I wore the Gerber name off ib the first few months as it was paint. The Fiskars and Finland are raised in the polymer handle.

Gerber calls it an axe, its a hatchet. I cant weild an axe with a single hand as vigorously as this and I cant use two hands on this as its to compact, well I can but less comfortably. The sheath was some nylon volcrow deal thats a rats nest in my barn now. It was a decent sheath for backpacking, again this was Gerbers sheath most likely.

Grunt thats a real nice axe!

For $40 this is an 18" handled unit. The head is a beast chunk of forged steel and it really does hold its edge great.

My chopper is a Gerber 31-000914 high performance camp axe and for $40 I say try it and if you find something that tears through wood better I need to know

Top Bottom