• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    I was looking on the Allen County Sheriff's Department website about the LTCH and found it odd that all they refer to it as, is the "concealed carry permit". I was surprised that that's what they call it through out the whole section about gun permits.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    And now you know what to expect if you decide to open carry.
    Sheriff3.jpg

Just kidding. :): But daaaamn...those boots are bad. :D

bat54r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a few friends that are Allen County Sheriffs and have talked with many others through shooting with my buddies and have not heard one negative thing about open carry from any of them. Last Monday I had the day off work and met one of my buddies along with 2 other sheriffs I have never met before for lunch at the Chinese buffet on coldwater road and dupont and OCed my XD the whole time. One of them was really interested in the XD line and asked me several questions about reliability and capacity etc.. and asked if he could come along and shoot it next time we went out. Most of the problems I have heard about come from FWPD when it comes to OC in Allen county. Now before I get flamed I'm not saying all leo on FWPD are that way but several of us here have read the threads where they have had run ins with them, me personally never an issue YMMV.
    -Bret-

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    The Sheriff's department may have the name of the permit wrong, but Sheriff Fries is very pro gun. I have spoken with him a number of times on civilian-involved shooting issues, and he has always been very helpful.

Allen county, I believe, is the largest county in Indiana, and Fort Wayne has most of the population; so, most of the Sheriff's department deals with country folks, a lot of whom have guns. The police chief in Fort Wayne, however, is not as gun friendly as the Sheriff.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I was looking on the Allen County Sheriff's Department website about the LTCH and found it odd that all they refer to it as, is the "concealed carry permit". I was surprised that that's what they call it through out the whole section about gun permits.

But you refer to the LICENSE as a PERMIT yourself so why do you find it so surprising that someone else would do the same, do you not see the irony in your own words :dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I OC in Ft. Wayne and New Haven (both in Allen County) quite often and have not had a single incident.

Sheriff Fries is very gun-friendly, and yep, Chief York is not. Nor is Officer Joyner gun-friendly in the discussions I have had with him on the telephone.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I OC in Ft. Wayne and New Haven (both in Allen County) quite often and have not had a single incident.

Sheriff Fries is very gun-friendly, and yep, Chief York is not. Nor is Officer Joyner gun-friendly in the discussions I have had with him on the telephone.

"Gun friendly" is not relevant. I have known, and worked with the Chief and Officer Joyner for many years. I know each is only interested in enforcing the LAW. They have no interest in pursuing personal agendas in their Law Enforcement duties.

The Sheriff also understands the law and human behavior.

All fine gentlemen and we are lucky to have these men in our community.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    "Gun friendly" is not relevant. I have known, and worked with the Chief and Officer Joyner for many years. I know each is only interested in enforcing the LAW. They have no interest in pursuing personal agendas in their Law Enforcement duties.

The Sheriff also understands the law and human behavior.

We'll just have to agree to disagree! :)

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana

Fully agree with you.
    Still, there are differing levels of support for civilians having and-or carrying guns.

I recall Officer Joyner on TV saying that we should not have guns for personal defense because bad guys will only snatch them away from us and use them against us. Sheriff Fries does not share that opinion.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    We'll just have to agree to disagree! :)

:+1: The Sheriff's Office and the FWPD are on totally two different pages when it comes to gun owners right. Joyner has OPENLY bashed people who O.C. on the the FWPD forums and has miss informed people several times saying people must CC . I've posted some of the things he's said in other threads on here before. I believe one thread was about a INGO member being proned out by FWPD at gas station for OCing.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    All Police Officers have differing views and opinions on a wide range of subjects because they have differing backgrounds, experiences, and they have been recruited from the ranks of the human race.

All Police Officers are tasked with keeping the peace and enforcing all laws. Sometimes in situations that the Officer does not agree with.

I have provided security for the KKK rallies in town. Do I agree with the KKK? Of course not..I protected both sides and my city.

I have provided security at the abortion clinic during right to life protests. Do I agree with the agenda of planned parenthood? Absolutely not...I protected both sides and my city.

I have provided security during a military funeral when the westboro folks came to town with their signs. This was probably my most distasteful assignment, but I protected both sides and my city.

An Officer can have an opinion on citizens owning guns, but only the law can be enforced. To do otherwise is to risk a lawsuit.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    All Police Officers have differing views and opinions on a wide range of subjects because they have differing backgrounds, experiences, and they have been recruited from the ranks of the human race.

All Police Officers are tasked with keeping the peace and enforcing all laws. Sometimes in situations that the Officer does not agree with.

I have provided security for the KKK rallies in town. Do I agree with the KKK? Of course not..I protected both sides and my city.

I have provided security at the abortion clinic during right to life protests. Do I agree with the agenda of planned parenthood? Absolutely not...I protected both sides and my city.

I have provided security during a military funeral when the westboro folks came to town with their signs. This was probably my most distasteful assignment, but I protected both sides and my city.

An Officer can have an opinion on citizens owning guns, but only the law can be enforced. To do otherwise is to risk a lawsuit.

Good on you!

However, in the case of Officer Joyner saying, on TV, we shouldn't have and-or carry guns for personal defense because criminals will just snatch them away and use them against us, he was speaking on behalf of the FWPD as its PIO; so, it was more than just his opinion.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    The Sheriff's department may have the name of the permit wrong, but Sheriff Fries is very pro gun. I have spoken with him a number of times on civilian-involved shooting issues, and he has always been very helpful.

Allen county, I believe, is the largest county in Indiana, and Fort Wayne has most of the population; so, most of the Sheriff's department deals with country folks, a lot of whom have guns. The police chief in Fort Wayne, however, is not as gun friendly as the Sheriff.

Most Police Chiefs are not as gun friendly when they are from a city (as opposed to a town with a town council). Usually this is due to the population of most cities electing a Mayor (often a democrat) and the Chief being appointed by the Mayor. Agree with the Mayor or back to Lieutenant you go.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Good on you!

However, in the case of Officer Joyner saying, on TV, we shouldn't have and-or carry guns for personal defense because criminals will just snatch them away and use them against us, he was speaking on behalf of the FWPD as its PIO; so, it was more than just his opinion.
    I agree. Chief York (still sucks to even say that):( is NOT gun friendly at all. His department reflects that. Allen Co PD is much more realistic and 2A friendly.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Most Police Chiefs are not as gun friendly when they are from a city (as opposed to a town with a town council). Usually this is due to the population of most cities electing a Mayor (often a democrat) and the Chief being appointed by the Mayor. Agree with the Mayor or back to Lieutenant you go.

Bingo!
    Police Chiefs are appointed and Sheriffs are elected--makes all the difference in the world.

Top Bottom