• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have been discussing with Allen via PM for a bit now some work I was interested in him doing on one of my Glocks. I had picked up a Gen 3 Glock 19 a few months ago and it was to be the project gun.

I just was not sure exactly what I wanted, but I knew that I wanted Allen to work some magic. I knew I wanted some metal work done and that would then require a refinish. Since I am a Glock guy, my priorities were that it had to be ultra functional, and subtle. After that I wanted it to look good. I was interested in doing something that would not be instantly obvious that some work had been done, but rather that someone would pick up and think wow, that is really nice.

So after discussing with Allen quite a bit in private messages (Allen really took the time to discuss what I was after, and I sent him a few pics and he sent me back pics of some of his other work), and looking around on the web and coming up with some ideas I dropped my gun off with Allen on a Saturday morning. We discussed the work to be done for about 30 minutes, and he showed me some of his personal firearms that he had finished in the color that I was looking at.

Unbeknownst to Allen, I had actually brought along a second Glock (26) that I had that had some finish wear from being carried quite a bit. I asked Allen since he would be breaking out the cerakote and heating up the oven if he would also refinish the slide, barrel and extractor on the 26. Allen said no problem. We discussed timing, and I thought it would be a couple of weeks before the guns would be done. I was not in a rush, as I had other guns I could carry.

Wednesday afternoon of that same week, I was heading home and got a call from Allen on my cell. "I've got 2 pistols for you to pick up..."

Here are some pics. I will apologize up front as these were taken quickly with a cell phone and don't properly capture the quality of the work.

The Glock 19 had the slide beveled/dehorned/melted (whatever you choose to call it) front and back, had the stock sights replaced with night sights, and the slide was refinished in Cerakote Sniper Grey. The barrel and extractor were not refinished as they were still in good shape.

I only have a couple of pics of the Glock 26 here, but the slide was refinished in Sniper Grey, and the barrel and extractor were done in Graphite Black. The night sights already on the gun were removed before the finish and then re-installed.

Channel liners on both guns were replaced.

Glock 19:

Here are some comparison shots with my Glock 23 in the pic so you can see the difference and what Allen did. For those that are not Glock guys, a 19 is the 9mm compact and the 23 is the .40 S&W compact, but are virtually identical from the factory as far as exterior and dimensions, etc. Not any more :):

Here are a couple with the Glock 26 and the 19. I need to get some better pics of it to post, that include the ejection port so you can see the barrel/extractor refinish.

The Glock subcompacts (26,27, etc) already have the slide beveled on the front. I thought for a moment about having the rear of the 26 slide beveled, but there is not much real estate back there to work with.

These pics don't do Allen's work justice.

He does great work, got it back to me well before promised and really took his time to understand what I was after.

I will be going to shoot these hopefully in the next few days, and will report back on that.

I have more Glocks that I may need drop off to Allen in the future :rockwoot:

Thanks for reading.

I'll have to drop a couple of pics in the Plastic Gun Show n Tell thread as well.

Last edited:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Allen.... A Glock? Really? Surely this is a one time thing.... Hopefully your 1911s won't find out about you cheating on them with a plastic gun! In all seriousness, it turned out really well. The finish looks great too. I like the color choice. Makes you wonder why Glock doesn't do some of the melting at the factory. I know the G30 I used to have could have used a bit of work to make it a bit more comfortable.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I really envy people that can type well. Thanks guys, I did the work by eye. I started with a hand grinder and finished with a file.

I really kinda owe Glock an apology. The more I work on them the more I can appreciate their simplicity. Speaking from experience working on Glock vs 1911 Kinda like 2002 Toyota Sienna Van vs 2003 BMW M5. I am sure I'll have more apologizing to do in the future :)

Here are a couple other pics as well.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    There's not much that can be done to make a Glock look good :) - but that is some fine work. AllenM did some astounding work on a somewhat abused 'Nork 1911 I brought him, and since then I've been trying to figure out what else to drop off on his doorstep. (I tried to cajole him into rebuilding/restoring an '88 BWW M3, but thus far have been unsuccessful :D). But I've got some other ideas...

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Again, I have to say, IMPRESSIVE work Allen. Why haven't you told me you could make a Glock so stunning? I was thinking of sending a Wilson I have back to get the Extreme dehorn treatment but it looks like I'll just need to contact Allen.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Just a quick update.

Got to shoot the Glocks late this afternoon. 100% function just as I expected on both guns, and I must say, I love this 19 even more now.

The 19 shot well, just as I expected it to. I was in one of the bays at MCF&G mostly shooting plates. (I need to try and remember to being some spray paint next time to start on clean unmarked plates. :yesway:)

May be purely subjective, but the 19 seemed to throw brass a bit better than it did before. This particular 19 seemed to dribble brass just a bit previous to Allen working his magic (but then I have been used to shooting Gen 3 .40's which really sling the brass. I had previously put a 30274 ejector in it a bit back to see if that helped, which the ejector change did seem to help with the occasional brass to the face that occurred when I first got it).

Today I put 200 rounds of 9mm down range between the 26 and the 19. Most of it went through the 19. I just did not want to put it down.

50 rounds of Blazer Brass, 50 PMC, and 100 WWB. The 19 seemed to be putting the brass over my shoulder with authority and for the most part in the same area. I was by myself, so not 100% on the ejection path but seemed to be placing them nicely based on peripheral vision and where they were landing. This is an improvement, I attribute to lightening the slide.

I'm wondering if the slide beveling lightened it up enough to change the recoil impulse a bit. This may be all subjective, but it felt like the 19's slide is cycling a bit faster now.

I'm not sure I'd have any metal taken off of a .40 slide without thinking about it really hard due to this, but on the 19, it is Perfection.

Thanks again Allen.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The weight reduction on the slide is likely increasing slide velocity a bit and affecting the ejection behavior.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The weight reduction on the slide is likely increasing slide velocity a bit and affecting the ejection behavior.

Agreed, and in this case, it is a positive. The newer Gen 3 19's seem to dribble the cases out, and I like this much better.

Win, Win. It looks better and runs better.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    could be the oil i use. :)

seriously though nothing quite like having your weapon personalised like you want.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom