• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for all the advice and comments, all!

I got prescription for olopatadine (generic for Patanol) and after two applications of the drops, the itching is much diminished.

My left eye is still swollen and droopy, so I'm still a Forrest Whitaker lookalike, but at least the discomfort has eased.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    The kids and my wife used to get so miserable this time of year (one of the kids would then turn into a terror because he couldn't handle feeling so lousy); we've been using essential oils (lemon, lavender, peppermint) for the past few years and haven't had to go to our long-standing prescriptions and such. It's a nice change, for sure, and no side effects.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Zyrtec is the only allergy pill that works for me.
    But the downside is, after taking it for a few days it makes me feel edgy.
    So I only use it when I really need it.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I had this problem back in February when the temps got up to the 80's once or twice. My eyes would be glued shut in the morning, flushed them 5 or 6 times a day with saline, tried OTC allergy drops, Zyrtec and Benedryl in near fatal doses, nothing was working. Finally broke down and went to the doc, got some prescription eye drops for what turned into an infection. Used those up and had to get a refill before it was finally kicked. Miserable as hell and nothing was working. Neti pot helped my congestion but not the eyes. It took about three weeks before it ran its course, and about five before they were back to normal.

Never had spring allergies this bad... wife wants to go mushroom hunting but I just want to stay inside in the AC, wear a respirator and not even look out the window.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    The single best treatment I ever had was allergy shots. While it lasted, it was glorious. I could be outside this time of year with no issues.

But at one point they hit me with a bit too much and I went into aniphilactic shock in the doctor's office. Got to ride in an ambulance, too!

So now I use pretty much the same cocktail as you, Rhino. Generic Zyrtec, the occasional Claritin-D (stuff gets expensive!), Flonase (have a cheap prescription through work) and Naphazoline HCl eye drops.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    Crap....I thought once you built up a tolerance after getting a ton of shots that you were done and didnt need boosters. I guess that is no longer an option I wanted to check into.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wonder how people dealt with allergies in days of yore. Maybe pu**ies like me didn't survive long enough for it to be an issue!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My eyes are taking more punishment than usual from seasonal allergies this year. The itching/inflammation is really bad.

I'm using the following meds:

1. Cetirizine HCl (generic Zyrtec)
    2. Fluticasone propionate nasal spray (generic Flonase)
    3. Two different OTC antihistamine eye drops - Naphazoline HCl/Pheniramine Maleate and Ketotifen (generic Zaditor)

I'm also doing my best to keep my face around my eyes and my eyelids and lashes as clean as possible which helps.

Any suggestions for relief from the eye itching? I have sent a message to my doctor's office, but I welcome your advice as well!

When I don't have OTC Ketotifen eye drops (which works for me) I take Benadryl. For me it is this time of year and mostly tree pollen. Highly allergic to cottonwood.

Top Bottom