• ...and so much more!
  • DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    LOL... Reminds me of the range nazi at Frank Merry.

Wanted to know if my friends and I were members of the shooting club there.
    Didn't know how to respond when I told him no, we just owned the place.
    (It's a mutual association sort of thing. Several hundred of us own the place. )

And good lord, that guy could not shoot.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    LOL... Reminds me of the range nazi at Frank Merry.

Wanted to know if my friends and I were members of the shooting club there.
    Didn't know how to respond when I told him no, we just owned the place.
    (It's a mutual association sort of thing. Several hundred of us own the place. )

And good lord, that guy could not shoot.

The RO could not shoot.....?????

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I've recently started shooting indoors. RSO's I've experienced will pay attention to the newbies and the rental people, and leave the experienced shooters alone. Like any other business, if you get a bad apple, you should discreetly let management know.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    After shooting indoors and outdoors, I find I prefer outdoors. Though, I prefer going with a friend or friends, so I will go wherever. I've shot at Parabellum, Point Blank (Carmel & Greenwood), Tim's in Westfield and Proteq.

I prefer Proteq, the drive is the only issue, since it is an hour drive for me. Going to Proteq just means I am spending an afternoon our, and usually I am going with Cameramonkey, so we get to hang out for an afternoon.

Parabellum is probably my second favorite to go to.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    My clubs private indoor range will be much better once people who actually shoot start showing up and voting. I enjoy shooting indoors, especially when I'm the only one there.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    There is/was one RSO at Greenwood Point Blank who always wants to offer unsolicited advice. We just ignore his advice and tell him we'll be picking up our brass to reload. Keeps him and his squeegee away.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    The RO could not shoot.....?????
    I'm surprised at your surprise CM... I've see RSOs that are extremely short on shooting skills as well as instructors and NRA instructors. Every time I'm in the range the same thought comes to mind. Why in the world would you try to teach someone else a skill that you don't possess? I see it every time I work and it's not occasionally but the norm when there are two people on the same lane. The blind leading the blind.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm surprised at your surprise CM... I've see RSOs that are extremely short on shooting skills as well as instructors and NRA instructors. Every time I'm in the range the same thought comes to mind. Why in the world would you try to teach someone else a skill that you don't possess? I see it every time I work and it's not occasionally but the norm when there are two people on the same lane. The blind leading the blind.
    [FONT=&]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&]

[/FONT][FONT=&]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&]
    [/FONT][FONT=&]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&]

[/FONT][FONT=&]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&]
    [/FONT][FONT=&]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Yeah I see your point.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've recently started shooting indoors. RSO's I've experienced will pay attention to the newbies and the rental people, and leave the experienced shooters alone. Like any other business, if you get a bad apple, you should discreetly let management know.

This is how it has been for me at IndyArms. They don’t have a dedicated RSO for just typical range time as far as I can tell, but the staff will rotate through particularly when there are more renters or first timers on the lanes. I’ve had days where I’ve been the only person on the range and the only reason anyone stops in is just to make everything is ok.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The only RSO I've about come to blows with worked at the outdoor Atterbury range. :xmad:

Pretty sure I know of whom you speak, since I'm unfortunately basically stuck with AB as the closest useful range. Yelling at my son for having the nerve to grab a target off the bench on the way up to change targets during cease fire got me a little bothered.

It seems to me that care pretty much about their own liability, not the actual users because they know we have no real alternative to their location.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I shoot at an indoor range in Cincy with my best friend. They have 50y and 100y indoor rifle. Sounds great, and it is. Until the guy next to you is launching 7.62 from an M1a in that tiny little bay with 5 stalls. You suddenly realize just how shell shock could become an actual thing.

We go there mostly for indoor .22 with our souped up CZ455s. But the long line bay is so small that even my AR (with compensator) gives offensive muzzle blast to where you really don't want to shoot much. It's surprisingly fatiguing.

Outdoors, no such problems at all.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    So it was snowing when my buddy wanted to go out and have me help check out a .38 spl revolver. A bit too cold for him, so we headed to Point Blank Carmel per his request. First time I’d been there since an RSO threatened to confiscate my suppressor and call the police because I wouldn’t show my tax stamp.... fast forward a couple years to this time.

We first heard this RSO (name withheld) asking a young couple shooting a .22 if his gun was 3-round burst because it wasn’t allowed, wait for it....... while they were firing single shots. The RSO then approached us and asked if he could give us shooting advice based on what he saw. I politely said “no thanks”, and then he began to give Goodcat more advice than I’ve heard in many courses about my shooting. He then wandered over and helped the couple with their gun again, and asked if he could finish off shooting their entire magazine, and did.

For those who only have indoor range access, I applaud your patience. Really.

Edit: I would like to add that during this recent visit, the RSO before this kid came out was very kind and knowledgeable and we had some good chats with him.

Nearly all owners or managers of businesses appreciate feedback on their facilities performance or product. If done discreetly, you could help them improve the negative behavior of this employee. For instance, I once bought a like-new Miroku-made Winchester model 63 rifle, and had it shipped to my local shop. When I went to do the transfer, the employee at the counter raised the rifle up high and dinged the barrel on the metal beam of the ceiling, putting a mark in the perfect Miroku blueing. Just an accident, but still ... So next time I went in there, the owner was at the counter, and I told him about it. I wasn't trying to ding the employee, but I urged the owner to get some padding on the low steel beams. The employee worked there for several more months, but eventually was let go. I think enough people let the owner know that the guy was a ying-yang (and he was) that he finally took action to improve his facility.

A call to the PB general manager describing your experience would probably be well received.

Top Bottom