• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    I had to go to my doc for a checkup yesterday and was wearing my ACU INGO hat. I already knew that docs may ask about guns, but hadn't been asked by mine yet. So, he comes in and comments about the hat asking were it's from. I tell him Indiana Gun Owners, and he asks "do you own a gun?" I say no. I'm telling the truth because "a" is singular and I own alot more than one!!:rockwoot: I told him I got the hat because I like the camo pattern. Maybe he believed me or not, but I didn't see him quickly typing on his PC after I answered.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    The dr that I have had for years knows I carry, he works as part of the st Vincent group so of course there is a no gun sign on the building. Last appt he told me he is moving out of state so my next appt will be with a new dr. Gonna have to keep my fingers for another good one.

tmfinney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    New Castle
    If I had a doctor ask me about my guns, I'd flat out tell him for the money that I'm paying for this visit to worry what's going on with the inside of my body and not what I'm carrying on the outside.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went to a brand new doc yesterday. Was worried about the guns question. Took the "Physician or Educator Qualification and Liability" pamphlet with me, all properly printed out and neatly tri-folded. The questions never came, so it stayed in my bag. I still dropped a couple of blatantly obvious gun-related metaphors to see what his reaction might be, but never got him to bite.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Why on earth do you guys fear answering that question? I talk guns with every patient who is wearing something from the industry or talks about having land. To think the government is not tracking background checks is laughable. They watch these forums and I'm sure catalogue everything.

this topic comes up all the time and I just don't get it. Bear in mind, if you are prescribed a controlled substance and you have lied to your prescriber it could be a felony. Unlikely to ever happen from the gun issue, but it's in the realm of possibility.

how can you help the cause of gun ownership if you keep denying you even own one :dunno:

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Why on earth do you guys fear answering that question? I talk guns with every patient who is wearing something from the industry or talks about having land. To think the government is not tracking background checks is laughable. They watch these forums and I'm sure catalogue everything.

this topic comes up all the time and I just don't get it. Bear in mind, if you are prescribed a controlled substance and you have lied to your prescriber it could be a felony. Unlikely to ever happen from the gun issue, but it's in the realm of possibility.

how can you help the cause of gun ownership if you keep denying you even own one :dunno:
    I definitely do not understand it. I guess I have a different relationship with my doctor than many here do. If I felt I could not honestly let my Dr know I owned guns, I would find a new Dr.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Because with government control of health care now, and don't tell me it's not, it's one more avenue for .gov to stick its nose where it doesn't belong. If you mention to your doc that you are feeling depressed and he knows you have firearms, now you have to risk being SWATed for your own good. And some people have never purchased a firearm through an FFL. They aren't on any lists.

I think it's fairly obvious why doctors having that information is hazardous to one's health.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    About whether he has firearms, yes. Tell me how that's even relevant? Tell me how ownership of firearms has anything to do with a visit to a health care professional?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    My doctors are not qualified or licensed to counsel me on the use or storage of firearms, therefore, my ownership of firearms is not relevant to the purpose of my visit. Much like informing an LEO that I'm armed during a routine traffic stop, I will not provide information that COULD be used to my detriment.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    About whether he has firearms, yes. Tell me how that's even relevant? Tell me how ownership of firearms has anything to do with a visit to a health care professional?

I am not debating whether the question is appropriate or relevant, I'm debating whether lying is appropriate. There are ways to answer without lying that might actually make them think the question is not appropriate. We support handing cards that say no guns no business, but will just lie to the doctor and Move on?

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    First why not leave your gun related clothes at home, then you can answer any way you want, truth or not. Very simple.
    Why make should a big deal out of one question.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I am not debating whether the question is appropriate or relevant, I'm debating whether lying is appropriate. There are ways to answer without lying that might actually make them think the question is not appropriate. We support handing cards that say no guns no business, but will just lie to the doctor and Move on?
    Yes, lying is appropriate if the individual wishes to protect himself from the risks of a doc complicit in tyranny.

Businesses don't have the authority to send LE to my house. I know you see the difference.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    And you might be surprised by your doctor. I've been with mine for over 15 years. He likes guns and owners them. We have been to the range many times.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yes, lying is appropriate if the individual wishes to protect himself from the risks of a doc complicit in tyranny.

Businesses don't have the authority to send LE to my house. I know you see the difference.

And what's wrong with: "Sir, that is not relevant to my care today and I'm not going to answer that."?

if I suspect a patient is lying to me that really hurts my ability to help them. It calls everything they say into question. I'd respect them if they say "not relevant" and move on. Lies just cause problems.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    And what's wrong with: "Sir, that is not relevant to my care today and I'm not going to answer that."?

if I suspect a patient is lying to me that really hurts my ability to help them. It calls everything they say into question. I'd respect them if they say "not relevant" and move on. Lies just cause problems.
    That's what I told my Dr. I talk to him about hunting and such all the time, but once it's patient-dr conversation I simply say "defer" he says "we will mark no" and we go on to the next question. I appreciate that he keeps personal & professional relationships separate.

Top Bottom