• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I would have never thought I'd see this on an interstate, but there's a first time for everything. I was on a work-related road trip this morning, driving west on I-88 between Dekalb, IL and I-39. The car in front of me made a sudden swerve away from the right shoulder. By the time I figured out why, I almost hit the coyote trying to cross the interstate with my right tire. He finally changed his mind, turned around, and ran back into the field. Was already daylight out, about 8:30 this morning.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I would have hit it if it would have been safe to do so.

I didn't "try" to miss it, it happened so fast that I didn't have time to react to it. I was driving 75 and looked down and there it was. If it didn't decide to turn around, I would have hit it. Was a decent size 'yote, not sure I would have wanted to hit that thing at 75mph!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I didn't "try" to miss it, it happened so fast that I didn't have time to react to it. I was driving 75 and looked down and there it was. If it didn't decide to turn around, I would have hit it. Was a decent size 'yote, not sure I would have wanted to hit that thing at 75mph!

Several years ago I hit one at about 60mph and had to replace the headlight assembly on the car afterwards--and didn't kill the ornery beast. A state trooper finally put the thing out of its misery.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    About 90% of the coyotes that I have seen while driving were crossing or getting ready to cross a highway/interstate. I nailed one about 3 or 4 years ago on I-70 in IL. going 75+. It was around 10 at night. He didnt make it. Didnt hurt my GMC Sierra. Got him with front and rear passenger tires.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    i've seen dead coyotes on the road occasionally, but have never been too close to hitting one myself. one a related note, a few months ago there was a dead beaver on i-65 in merrillville on an overpass. this section of the road has median and shoulder barriers; the thing must have found a storm drain with a broken grate or something to get up there.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Ive seen 3 foxes in the city in the past 2 months ive never seen one before inside city (including one in the middle of downtown) limits, coyotes are common to see around the outskirts of town.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Pretty common from what I've seen. I always see dead coyotes along the highways. Almost as many dead coyotes as dead deer.

I hit one a few years ago. 2 am I69 South north of Indy. It had snowed and the roads were pretty bad but they were deserted and I needed to get home to catch some sleep before work in the morning. I was moving much faster than I could have possibly made a safe stop for but the roads were completely empty so the risk was minimal. Anyways, moving on, I pop over a little rise and there is a coyote on the right shoulder. No way I'm touching my brakes. No need to risk a wreck when I'd rather hit him anyways. He quickly makes a dash toward the median, gets close to the median and changes his mind and decides he wants the right shoulder and dashes back. About the time he is almost in the right shoulder my headlights hit him and he 2nd guesses himself again and makes a mad dash for the median. :dunno: He was right in the very middle of my lane at the point when my car entered his path. I'll be darned if he didn't run straight into my front bumper going very, very fast. Upon initial contact he went down and under the car. He thumped on the bumper, thumped on the skid-plate and oil pan, and thumped somewhere else along the rear of the car. I cautiously slowed down, got out, check my car quick. The only damage was my broken front license plate and chunks of hair caught in the license plate screws. No other damage to my Buick (car).

They always look much bigger than they really are because they have fluffy fur. They won't do much damage to a vehicle. Mostly just crack plastic parts like headlights and such. Not really enough mass to do major damage to paint and metal in most instances.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I live in Richmond but work in Fishers and travel 70 both ways. I would venture to say I see at least 1 yote per month with the most recent being Thursday morning. Oddly enough, I only seem to see them in the morning. I thought they were nocturnal and evil?

Rand60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    We see coyotes behind our home from time to time. We live in central Indiana. First time I say one ... they were running in pairs. I thought they were some small German Shepards. I took a video and showed it to a friend from Colorado who grew up around them. He confirmed that they were coyotes. We often here them howling in the woods behind our home. I think some states offer a bounty on these...as rodents. Im not sure about Indiana.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i like this hit!!!....190mph!!!....LOL

nascar-driver-hits-coyote-300x226.jpg

davebradley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Martinsville, IN
    Probably would have been better to send that guy on a bumper ride. Swerving cars cause other people to swerve. I can see swerving to avoid a deer just because of size, but not a coyote. I know its instincts to swerve, I'd just rather avoid other traffic.

davebradley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Martinsville, IN
    Forgot to mention, had a pack of coyotes once run out in front of a semi in northern Nevada in winter. Truck almost lost control on the icy roads. A few 100 feet closer and I would have been in his out of control way. I would have lost in my Honda crx.... Over coyotes.. I have no love for them

pingme

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    once they decide to move into an area its very hard to get rid of them. that ***** will have as many as she needs to keep the numbers up.

pingme

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    i have seen very aggressive, large ones,, but most were very timid. It's eerie to have them howling around you in the woods at night!

Top Bottom