• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Like I said....shoot the damn dog. We have had serious issues in the past with this. Idiots owning pits and chows ....breeding them in the house/garage/back yard.
    Pit jumped the fence and chased the neighbors wife into the house. It jumped my fence and came after my daughter.....end of story. No more pit.
    Pit owner came over the fence after me....serious mistake. No firearm required. LEO removed owner and dead dog. I had some explaining to do but in the end....no more pit.

If you own a dog of any size be responsible and see to the animal. We used to have dogs but moved on when we started racing and were always gone. Found them good homes with good people.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The aggressive dog next door is a rottweiler if I'm not mistaken. Heard it charging my fence trying to get to my dogs towards the end of summer.

Scary stuff.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The aggressive dog next door is a rottweiler if I'm not mistaken. Heard it charging my fence trying to get to my dogs towards the end of summer.

Scary stuff.

Next door neighbor has some of the biggest dogs I have ever seen. He has a kennel set up for them. He lets them out in his fenced yard (6 ft. privacy) and they rule the area. Anything that moves gets attention. They know us and our voices. I am glad they are there. They got out once and I managed to coerce them back in the gate. Owner repaired and strengthened the gate ASAP. That is responsible dog owner.

The idiots with the pit/chow breeding farm have long since moved away. That house had to be totally demoed inside and re-built. I just do not get it.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Yeah, our neighbors are that type, less the breeding and more the bringing home lots of dogs.

If I took a picture of their deck in the back right now... You'd probably vomit just looking at it. Called the health department on them just the other day, they have this bad habit of stacking up weeks or months worth of trash bags on their back porch and then their loose dogs tear them open all over the place. It's truly disgusting.

Cottong2001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Down the road a piece...
    Sorry to hear about your loss. We just lost 3 of our chickens to a predator of some kind. Been setting a trap every night since. Caught a huge raccoon and a large opossum. Got home from work to find the coon. Boom with my pocket carry 380 (after I swapped out a target round in place of the golden saber round). Woke up my kids and scared em pretty good. Decided on the 10/22 for the opossum. Much more discrete. Definitely makes you think about readiness in the face of a real threat. These were caged critters. And weren't going anywhere.

Heard a disturbance the next night. Grabbed my EDC to check it out along with a light. I keep them together close by at night now. Got me thinking about a night scope though. Don't have the $$$ for that right now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, our neighbors are that type, less the breeding and more the bringing home lots of dogs.

If I took a picture of their deck in the back right now... You'd probably vomit just looking at it. Called the health department on them just the other day, they have this bad habit of stacking up weeks or months worth of trash bags on their back porch and then their loose dogs tear them open all over the place. It's truly disgusting.

Maybe the idiots from my area re-located by you. Sounds about right.
    I can not put y mind in a place dark enough to live like that. It is a bug draw and just not healthy.

Coyote are becoming a menace closer into urban areas. A good friend lives out past Brownsburg along the I-74 corridor on several acres. He has chickens. He has popped a few coons and 3 coyote this winter. The Coyote seem to know when he is home now and stay out far enough so as not to offer up a shot.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    That really sucks. Whats almost worse is having a dog you think you may have to put down in the future. I have a male lab border collie mix that Im worried about. My fiance loves him to death and I do too but he bit me on the foot the other day when I barely nudged him in my sleep and left a dime sized bruise. I told my fiance if he ever bites her or anybody else he is done we are going out to the woods and I already have a spot for him. I just don't trust him especially around any kids and it makes me sad. Why do dogs seem to get so agressive it seems like its always the males who get this way. I think part of it is he doesn't get enough exercise but Ive seen female dogs who behave much better and aren't as territorial or aggressive. I don't think I want another dog after this despite having dogs all of my life.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    A car saved me the trouble two weeks later.

I had a next-day carma incident a few months ago... Dog was running loose, but was a neighbor's pet... they apparently didn't feed it, cuz it went from warily accepting treats to stealing our trash over about 4 weeks... then I was out walking late one night, OCing, and the dog comes at me, somewhat friendly, then when it sees I don't have anything, starts growling at me and baring its teeth. I started backing away, yelling at it, shining my light in its face and unbuckling my OC holster. I finally backed into a car, and I didn't want to turn my back to it... just when I was about to draw, it ran off... maybe it sensed the determination to kill it, but whatever reason...

got hit by a car less than 24 hrs later.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    In all seriousness, would this Indiana law (the above mentioned IC) override a local ordinance prohibiting the discharge of firearms within city limits? Or would there still be hell to pay when local LEO shows up?

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    When I take my dog out at night, I don't usually carry my gun since I live right in the middle of a bunch of closely spaced houses, but I do generally take my knife and my D battery maglite. If someone's dog attacks mine, I'm stabbing/beating the poop out of it. We don't have as much problem anymore, but when we first moved in someone had a mean pit (I don't think they are a mean breed at all as a whole) that ripped the head off of this nice kitten that roamed the area after the pit escaped out of its yard.

I also have no chickens to worry about, but I do have mice in my house trying to steal my food, so I catch them on glue traps and then take them outside and blow their little mouse brains out with my bb gun.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I take my dog out at night, I don't usually carry my gun since I live right in the middle of a bunch of closely spaced houses, but I do generally take my knife and my D battery maglite. If someone's dog attacks mine, I'm stabbing/beating the poop out of it. We don't have as much problem anymore, but when we first moved in someone had a mean pit (I don't think they are a mean breed at all as a whole) that ripped the head off of this nice kitten that roamed the area after the pit escaped out of its yard.

I also have no chickens to worry about, but I do have mice in my house trying to steal my food, so I catch them on glue traps and then take them outside and blow their little mouse brains out with my bb gun.

Glue traps rule...............:rockwoot:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    and they're "back"... chickens are locked up though... and they haven't come on my property yet...

They must have told their friends because there are 4 dogs this time. Lawrence County Animal Control is busy until Monday... so I went out to see how friendly they were (armed of course). All but one of the dogs came right up to me. 2 adults and 1 puppy about 3-5 months old by my estimate. The puppy laid down and curled up at my feet, the others just sort of milled around for a while and then they all laid down about 30 yards away for nap time... Only one of them has a collar but no tags present on the collar. They are obviously accustomed to humans but not being cared for.

The adult female (the one I'm certain did the chicken killing) appears to be blind in one eye, as does the adult male. The other one never got very close but it did appear somewhat healthy. The puppy has the most eery looking baby-blue eyes I've ever seen...

So now I have a moral dilemma...

Wait for Monday at which point I'm certain they won't be here when animal control is here and hassle with keeping my chickens locked up until Animal Control can catch them (could take weeks) ... or coax them onto my property by letting the chickens out and go hunting when they come to attack...

FWIW, their attack of my chickens was not just for the game as some dogs would do, these dogs really are hungry and that was an easy meal for them... I don't really blame them, if I were starving I'd take the easiest thing I could get too ... they are currently holding about 200 yards from my property line so it may be tough to coax them on the property.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Why even go outside? I would have just opened the back door shot the dog, close door and go back to bed. Sub sonic 22 lr in a bolt action can be a very useful tool. I have an old Savage that I keep handy just for the critters that pose a threat on our property.

I don't know a thing about hunting. Can one round of subsonic 22 kill a dog?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Now that those Dogs have a taste for your chickens, they are going to continue to kill them unless the Dogs are eliminated. Either by you or Animal control.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis

I use the garbage disposal in the sink and then a bunch of bleach afterwards to dispatch mice.

My wife has extremely vicious dogs, you got to watch out for Dachshund's and Corgi's they might love you to death you know.

I do worry about them with the coyotes about. I keep a 45 and a M1 Carbine at the ready now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't know a thing about hunting. Can one round of subsonic 22 kill a dog?

Yes, it will. If not right away it will eventually end it. That is why if you are forced to do this put the shot in a good place.

As to the moral dilemma....I understand but un-less you are willing to feed and care for them (and even then they will kill your chickens. They are dogs after all) you are going to have to end them.

Once an egg sucking dog...always.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Now that you have meet the dogs. Have you thought about asking them to stop eating your chickens? :dunno:

But seriously unless it's a good shot a 22 isn't going to drop a dog in its tracks so be prepared for a mess on your hands. I shoot raccoons all the time on our property and it usually takes two shots because they always seem to move.

Top Bottom