Along came a spider.....ALWAYS shake your boots and britches first...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I went through a morbid curiosity thing a while back where I was reading up on all kinds of deadly animals, and I found out that all spiders of the Sicariidae family (which includes the genus that includes the brown recluse) have similar venoms, with similar effect. Sicarius hahni is said to be the worst. Massive tissue loss possibly leading to amputation, damage to every organ in your body, hemorrhaging, aneurysms, heart attacks, strokes and more. These things are all just possible with brown recluse but they're LIKELY with S. hahni.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Indy - that's not likely to be a recluse bite.

If so - you'd definitely know it by now.

And Rhino - I also doubt it was a recluse in your living room. The odds just aren't in favor of it considering where you live. HOWEVER - they are indeed moving ever northward... Should've gotten pics to be sure. :D

To this date, the only BR spiders I've seen in Indiana (and I look for them) has been in Evansville. Our remote job-sites are often PRIME habitat for all kinds of creepy-crawleys and I always check for BRs as a matter of course.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Maybe...I just finished out the antibiotics...The hole is still there and looks like it's going nowhere soon....I have heard the venom can affect people differently so who knows (where my wallet went?)

It sounds way cooler being a brown recluse or fiddleback bite so I think I am going to go with that....Unless...Do you think...It could have been a Mountain Lion bite???? Maybe?????:)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

And Rhino - I also doubt it was a recluse in your living room. The odds just aren't in favor of it considering where you live. HOWEVER - they are indeed moving ever northward... Should've gotten pics to be sure. :D

To this date, the only BR spiders I've seen in Indiana (and I look for them) has been in Evansville. Our remote job-sites are often PRIME habitat for all kinds of creepy-crawleys and I always check for BRs as a matter of course.

You never know . . . people said we didn't have big cats in this area and yet, there they are on the trailcams.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Yeah those range maps are BS. I used to install cable, I've seen them in crawlspaces all over NE IL and NW IN.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Here in the GSF I've run across the black widow, never have seen a recluse though. Picked this one out next to the barn.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Interesting thread.

Indy: Your family only goes back to 1790? Most of us go back to Noah. :)

Spencer: I grew up mostly out west where you were never more than 8 feet from a spider. I guess the wide open prairies spread them suckers out a bit.

Didn't realize we don't have black widows in Indiana.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's just a black hole now...It looks like a lady put out one of those skinny Misty cigarettes on my calf...

And that IS NOT what happened....Not this time anyway....:nailbite:

:)

Talk to Downrange75 about his spider bite experience. Very scary!

Here in the GSF I've run across the black widow, never have seen a recluse though. Picked this one out next to the barn.

Dang leadeye...That gives me the heebiejeebies....I am assuming you had a 45 long colt with shot loads in the other hand pointing it at that evil little lady in case it came back to life???

Okay, I officially have the heebiejeebies too.

I like spiders when I am looking at them in photos or on video. When they're in the house, not so much.

hallbest-heebiejeebies.png
    =
    11258_2_heebie-jeebies.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Indy: Your family only goes back to 1790? Most of us go back to Noah. :)

In Kentucky brother.....

It ain't written in the Book but I have heard it said that I was Adam's favorite g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-grandson......

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have seen a real dead recluse, but only in Evansville. There are a lot of brown mid-size spider that are not recluses, and they are hard to identify without close examination. The genus Loxosceles has a lot of look-alikes.

Back in the summer of 1981 I shared a small park entrance booth with a family of black widows for a few months in western North Dakota. They lived under the "floorboards" (more like a pallet). Probably 20 or so. I didn't bother them, they didn't bother me.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    In Kentucky brother.....

It ain't written in the Book but I have heard it said that I was Adam's favorite g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-grandson......

Hate to disappoint you, but I think he seems to have preferred Robin.

gallery_movies_batman_through_years_adam_west_1.jpg

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I have seen a couple of black widows in Rockport so they are definitely in Indiana. I know two people that ended up with Brown recluse bites that got nasty. From what I have read even though most spider venom isn't directly dangerous to us, the bite sites are likely to get infected and cause the resulting issues.

I was bitten by a wolf spider last week when laying down weed barrier. It felt like I got pinched. I washed it off, took an antihistamine and went about my day.

This isn't the one that got me, but it sure is big.

Attachments

• spider.JPG
      spider.JPG
      436.5 KB · Views: 16

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Any kind of puncture wound is prone to infection, so it makes sense that punctures from spider fangs would be as well.

Top Bottom