• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Yeah the main issue is algae growth in the fuel. They make additives that retard that.

The shutdown airlines actually spiked the stock of the additive manufacturer this past week because they are adding so much to the tanks on grounded airplanes.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    This may not be what you are looking for, but I saw a video on Youtube on how to heat your rooms with a large candle, all threaded rod, bolts and washers, and a
    couple of large flower pots.

Basically you bolt the flower pots in a series overlapping with space between onto the rod, put it over the candle with the flame on the bolt and rod setup.
    It should keep a room above freezing to toasty warm depending on the number of candles.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    This may not be what you are looking for, but I saw a video on Youtube on how to heat your rooms with a large candle, all threaded rod, bolts and washers, and a

Basically you bolt the flower pots in a series overlapping with space between onto the rod, put it over the candle with the flame on the bolt and rod setup.
    It should keep a room above freezing to toasty warm depending on the number of candles.

Going to check this out !! I love these kinds of outside the box heating ideas , always amazed me some of the things people come up with

I appreciate the responses everyone !
    For those asking about kerosene storage I too have read that it can last a very long time

I've thought about propane as I use propane salamanders in my garage and my shop so considering getting a larger propane tank and heaters rated for indoor use...I'm in town so I need to see if there are any laws concerning tank size in city limits , I'd think I could have anything I want but I'm sure in this semi-free country someone has come up with a rule to govern me in that department

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Going to check this out !! I love these kinds of outside the box heating ideas , always amazed me some of the things people come up with

I appreciate the responses everyone !
    For those asking about kerosene storage I too have read that it can last a very long time

I've thought about propane as I use propane salamanders in my garage and my shop so considering getting a larger propane tank and heaters rated for indoor use...I'm in town so I need to see if there are any laws concerning tank size in city limits , I'd think I could have anything I want but I'm sure in this semi-free country someone has come up with a rule to govern me in that department

You might look into in-ground propane storage. The link is for a 1000 gallon tank there is also a 500 gallon one.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-37890-1000-gallon-underground-propane-tank.aspx

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009

I thought using a sterno or a small propane bottle for this but the cans warn about carbon monoxcide. Wouldn't that be an issue with other heaters? what do you guys do about venting fumes?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Im setup to use a tank top propane heater. We use propane for out heat anyways but w/o electric you wouldn't be able to use the furnace. I need to spend the time and find a kit somewhere on the internet that would let me fill small tanks off our bulk tank. I have asked the propane provider several times and they wont set me up, also dont get caught using one bc they may not fill your tank if they see it. I'm also working on a project with a $70 harbor freight generator. I'm thinking I can bring it inside and maybe run a large copper coil off the exhaust with a fan in the center and set it all up to go out a window. In the end I would store the power in 2 large deep cycle batteries and take advantage of it with a 2000w inverter when needed but not loose the heat generated by the motor (still working out the details). The kerosene idea isn't bad but what would worry me is the shelf life if your not steady using it. No one can seem to come to a consensus on how long it lasts, I've heard anything from months to years.

Good reason for that. If you make a rig to pull from your main tank into small tanks you'll be getting vapor instead of liquid. To get liquid you'd have to pull from the bottom of the tank. What you could probably do is put a splitter type valve on the outlet from the main tank, one line going to your furnace then a secondary line with shut off going to a hose running to your heater. I wouldn't do it and the hose length would most likely be excessive but otherwise I don't see why it couldn't be done.

We use kerosene for our secondary and emergency heat source. Got a 23k for power outages and a smaller 10k that we use for cold mornings to take some of the load off the furnace. Actually we even use the 10k for primary heat when its just a little cool in the mornings and just want a little warmth. If you go with kerosene, don't forget spare wicks, igniters, and batteries for the igniter.
    It is my understanding that packaged kerosene (5 gal buckets, 55 gal drums) is good for 10 years as long as the seal isn't broken. Once the seal is broken, then about a year. The stuff in plastic is good for 5 years max if stored properly. Bulk sales from the local gas station is crap (lots of dirt, impurities, moisture, and mold) and best avoided unless you have no alternative. We use about 10-15 gal most years and buy the 5 gal buckets. If not date marked on the can I mark the date I bought it. Keep about 50 gallons on hand and cycle the oldest out first.

Top Bottom