• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    How many rounds are through the Kel-tec? There is a break in period. I have roughly 1000 through mine and with carry rounds I have not had any issues. Has the gun been cleaned and properly lubed? These might all contribute to the issues.

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    All right. Let's get down to the brass tacks here:

Rip-Off:
    There is not a handgun manufacturer who has not borrowed or out-right copied technical and aesthetic designs from other manufacturers. Do you think that all those 1911 manufacturers just happened on the same design as the original by John Moses Browning? Were you aware that even Glock ripped off Sig Sauer in their 1st generation pistol trigger mechanism. Or, the latest Sig Sauer P238 is a Xerox copy of the Colt Pony? Oh... How about all of the Walther PPK clones out there? How did that happen? If Kel-Tec had anything that could be patented in their design, they would have done it.

The Recall:
    It amazes me that a company that does the right thing without government intervention gets a black eye for it. The hammer mechanism that was the issue of the recall is being fixed for free at great expense to Ruger. The part that you gloss over is that Earlier P-3AT's have the exact same design flaw. Kel-Tec has modified their P-3AT to address this same issue by making an in-production change. The difference is that Ruger is recalling all of the guns because they consider it a safety issue, while Kel-Tec simply made a running change and isn’t offering to fix any of the guns already on the street. Niether Kel-Tec nor Ruger has had anyone injured or killed by their "fatally-flawed" original designs, but only one company handled the issue properly.

If you are going to hold up Ruger to this kind of myopic scrutiny, then you should probably be equally critical of every other firearm manufacturer.

I could throw up some silly emoticons to emphasize my point, but I'd rather do it with facts.

My only issue with this arguement is that if Ruger is going to rip off another design, why would you design the same flaw into the gun before initial release? I would think one would look at issues and fix them instead of placing the same flaw back into the gun?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Ruger LCP
    NAA Guardian 380
    Colt Mustang/Pony Pocketlite
    Kahr P380

HEY LOOK GUYS, SOMEONE ACTUALLY ANSWERED THE QUESTION!!

Imagine that. He asked for P3AT alternatives and shooter521 responded with alternatives. What a crazy idea.

This is a very specific application. If you are going to suggest a G26 or whatever why not suggest a bazooka.

EDIT: I understand those who are trying to help the guy determine the cause of his buddy's gun's failures. However, he has made it clear he is not interested in a Keltec. I don't think he's going to see the light if you ignore his position.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Hard to find something in the same price range that does the same thing as the P3AT, other than the LCP. Personally, I would try another P3AT, because I know many that run fine. However, I agree that the most important thing is that you believe the gun will run. Everything else is secondary. Confidence is the biggest factor in a fight.

INGunLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Ruger LCP
    NAA Guardian 380
    Colt Mustang/Pony Pocketlite
    Kahr P380

Jez!

Thank you all who actually answered the question. I think the NAA is at the top of my list then the Ruger.

I know its probably just his kel-tec and others would run better, but it is like food poisoning, once you get sick it hard to eat the food again even though you know it won't make you sick. If I know there is a chance the gun will fail its not something I want to put my life on. I mean hell its a .380 you are going to need all the bullets to begin with.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    [AMT Backup] Local gun shop has one for $200. I've put about 1,000 rounds through mine and never had a problem...

Forgot about them! The single-action models are decent, but the trigger pull on the double-action models is among the stiffest/heaviest I've ever had the displeasure of trying. Being of all-stainless steel construction, they aren't lightweights by today's standards (nor is the Guardian, for that matter).

Also bear in mind that AMT has been out of business a long time now; getting parts and/or service could be problematic.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Forgot about them! The single-action models are decent, but the trigger pull on the double-action models is among the stiffest/heaviest I've ever had the displeasure of trying. Being of all-stainless steel construction, they aren't lightweights by today's standards (nor is the Guardian, for that matter).

Also bear in mind that AMT has been out of business a long time now; getting parts and/or service could be problematic.

I agree the trigger pull is very heavy, but that's what sold my wife on it. I don't think you could ever accidently pull the trigger on it.

Top Bottom