• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Several threads lately have got me thinking about less lethal alternative weapon use in conjunction with my carry pistol. I already carry OC spray but can imagine scenarios where I might desire a self defense weapon other then my gun. Some options I am considering are kuboton, some sort of concealable baton, stun gun, taser gun. It appeals to me to have the option of incapacitation while retaining the ability to escalate the level of force as needed.

I don't believe there are any legal barriers to these options. Please list any you are aware of.

Anyone have concerns about bulk, too much weight, etc.

Any concerns about the logistical difficulty of deploying multiple weapons. That is, going from the taser to the gun if you miss or others.

Anyone carry these type of items? What is your experience?

Any recommendation I have overlooked?

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Any of the options you listed will work depending on one thing......you MUST train with them, train for the transitions, and train on what you will do after the deployment of the LL item. I would recommend the Taser C2, I know my views are jaded, but I have used the Taser numerous times and been hit with it numerous times and am FULLY confident in it's capabilities.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Also for home defense don't forget about impact munitions for the 12g that are available to the public and the good old salt load. When I used to work on an ambulance I transported a guy that had been hit by a salt load in a 12g, he actually told me he wished the old farmer had just hit him with a regular load because the salt imbedded in the wounds hurt so bad. Don't know if any of these suggestions help, but good luck.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I'm assuming that you have considered a good carry knife.:dunno:

Yes, but that falls under the deadly force heading. Being as such I can only think of a few situations that a knife would be preferred over a gun like inside a car. i am looking for ways to defend myself when I don't want to use deadly force with the option to escalate. Let's say a 350lb man starts punching someone in the restaurant I am in. He is unarmed and not currently a direct threat to me. If I only have my gun on me there isn't much I could do. I would like to be able to maybe taze him or otherwise defuse the situation without deadly force. There are probably holes in that scenario but I hope you get my point.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Tazers r good, so is OC/CS. You must be careful with projectile munitions, they can still cause death. I carry bean-bag rounds and if aim for the upper chest or head=death. One must aim for the belly. Same with impact weapons. Location of impact determines if it is lethal or non-lethal.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Tazers r good, so is OC/CS. You must be careful with projectile munitions, they can still cause death. I carry bean-bag rounds and if aim for the upper chest or head=death. One must aim for the belly. Same with impact weapons. Location of impact determines if it is lethal or non-lethal.

point taken.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Read this thread in the Politics and 2nd Am. section:

Indiana Good Samaritans are protected from civil liability"

Sorry to be so cynical, but it does happen.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Any concerns about the logistical difficulty of deploying multiple weapons. That is, going from the taser to the gun if you miss or others.
    Once the manure makes contact with the propeller, acceleration is rapid.

What I mean to say is that escalation of force happens very quickly, making everything between "STOP!" and "BANG-BANG" a blur. You may be better off getting hand to hand training (I don't mean to assume that you haven't already done that) to use when non-lethal force is required and just carrying your gun for other circumstances.

my :twocents: and something to consider.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Let's say a 350lb man starts punching someone in the restaurant I am in. He is unarmed and not currently a direct threat to me. If I only have my gun on me there isn't much I could do. I would like to be able to maybe taze him or otherwise defuse the situation without deadly force.

My last reference to the other threat was to just inform you. If a 350lb man is punching another person, is it your responsiblity to intervene with a Taser, club, knife or gun?
    The Good Samaritan Law may pertain to this and then again, maybe not.:dunno:

Just a comment that blurted out of my head.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Let's say a 350lb man starts punching someone in the restaurant I am in. He is unarmed and not currently a direct threat to me. If I only have my gun on me there isn't much I could do. I would like to be able to maybe taze him or otherwise defuse the situation without deadly force.

My last reference to the other threat was to just inform you. If a 350lb man is punching another person, is it your responsiblity to intervene with a Taser, club, knife or gun?
    The Good Samaritan Law may pertain to this and then again, maybe not.:dunno:

Just a comment that blurted out of my head.

Oh, ok. got it. You are saying I don't necessarily need to do anything.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Once the manure makes contact with the propeller, acceleration is rapid.

What I mean to say is that escalation of force happens very quickly, making everything between "STOP!" and "BANG-BANG" a blur. You may be better off getting hand to hand training (I don't mean to assume that you haven't already done that) to use when non-lethal force is required and just carrying your gun for other circumstances.

my :twocents: and something to consider.

You make a good point. I do have what I feel is adequate unarmed hand to hand training. I would however like to have a step up. In hand to hand the other guy could be bigger, stronger, faster or in some other way generally better then me. I'm looking for options that would negate a physical advantage. Even Chuck Norris would succumb to a taser. (Maybe :rockwoot:)

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I understand what your asking , but IMO damn near everything around you is a weapon .

It's how you use it that determines lethality , I have a large ceramic ash tray in front of me , I can hit a BG with it but if it breaks I've got a lethal edged weapon .

You've got feet right? , a couple of kicks to the knees or nads , possibilities are endless but require training .

In a restaurant I'm thinking taser cause it can be aimed , OC/CS could effect more people than the BG .

Top Bottom