• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Forced labor at prison to support inmate cost?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

vesan87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    A little south of Indy
    It bothers me so much that criminals and murderers are sent to prison. Yea it's bad but it no bad enough. I would love to see prisoners have to work for their room and board. Who pays for it right now? I do! You do! The people who don't commit the crimes. What about bailing out the auto industry by giving them a work force that would work for just enough money to pay for their essentials. Food, housing, etc. Then they could lower the price of a new car so I could afford one. This would have to be done without taking jobs away from hard working people who do it now but theoretically it sounds good!

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I am not so certain that the American public would be behind forced labour camps.

Ha, tell that to these guys.

Long-term jobless could face compulsory manual labour

I voted NO. At the rate this country is going, it would be you and I in those forced labor camps some day. With the expansion of government, more and more things becoming illegal, bans on arbitrary items, restricted rights, government licensure for everything, gun control everywhere, liberty hating citizens abound, a rabid Police State, unconstitutional "emergency" powers of the Feds, terror-obsessed Homeland Security, no-fly lists, etc, etc, etc.... We do not need to give the government the power to literally enslave us.

With stuff like this going on, it actually seems like a horrifying idea.

15 year-old student arrested for sharing chicken nuggets
    New York: 60 Days in Jail for Un-mowed Lawn
    Police Begin "Guns Drawn" Raids on Organic Food Stores in California
    Disturbing trend of the day:states now arresting people for taking video of police
    Government raids barber shops for cutting hair wihout a license
    Illegal to catch rainwater
    Georgia farmer sued by county for growing too many vegetables

If you want to reduce the cost of prisons, repeal all these horrible laws!!

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm not sure I totally agree with the concept, but I'm certainly not against it. However, the way I see it, a great majority of the prison population did something to get there, so I wouldn't necessarily call it forced labor. I would call them volunteers.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I say give them the option of doing manual labor or maybe even learn a basic trade. Their only other option should be sitting in the cell staring at the bars. No tv, no weights, no basketball. Work in the laundry, kitchen or some shop set up to save the taxpayers money or sit in your cell. You can have all the books, magazines, paper and pencils your family or friends are willing to send you.

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    I'm not sure I totally agree with the concept, but I'm certainly not against it. However, the way I see it, a great majority of the prison population did something to get there, so I wouldn't necessarily call it forced labor. I would call them volunteers.

:lol2: :yesway: Perfect, simply perfect! I am a fan of Arizona's Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio :chuck:. He makes them work for their "room and board," and he has a sense of humor.
    Arizona Sheriff Forms DUI Chain Gang Dressed in Pink.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I voted yes. The reason for going to prision is PAYING BACK SOCIETY. But now, Society pays you if you go to prision.

I definitely would support this, but also not mixing the crimes etc. Why do we house killers, rapist and robbers with petty crimes?

Also, I'd take this a step further. More death penalties for 1). Killers 2). Rapist/child molesters.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Individuals behind bars for victimless crimes should be set free. To force labor on anyone else detained is slavery, no matter how you paint it. Are you seriously wanting to revert to something that is illegal?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I say give them the option of doing manual labor or maybe even learn a basic trade. Their only other option should be sitting in the cell staring at the bars. No tv, no weights, no basketball. Work in the laundry, kitchen or some shop set up to save the taxpayers money or sit in your cell. You can have all the books, magazines, paper and pencils your family or friends are willing to send you.

This. Although, I would think making prisoners who are not learning a trade when they can utilize when their sentence is up, make them fix the roads, clean up parks, various government jobs that are, well, bottom of the barrel and easy to monitor. That way the state isn't paying workers so much money and can direct that money for things the state needs to function.

Just a thought of course. Look at it this way.... It puts teeth to the say "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime."

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy

I agree.

However, back in the good old days of the penal system, when inmates were put to work on public projects all was well. But when prisons started bidding on private projects there was, how shall I say this, a good bit of corruption. Think bribes lining wardens pockets.

If a good sytem of how the projects were chosen and bid on were in place, I say put the incarcerated to work.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I think they should have to be forced into labor, I'm sick of paying for them. However if they really didn't want to work, I would be happy to donate a few bullets, but one way or another I'm getting really sick of paying for criminals to live. Though I am sure may would choose to be killed, and I don't know if I'd be able to afford all those bullets, but ropes reusable right?

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    If they wouldnt allow prisoners to sit on death row for years and I mean years that would save a lot of money for feeding and housing them. The courts are so booked up (or say they say) that is why they sit there so long due to their appeals. Put a time limit on death row. :twocents:

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    178   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I am not an expert & those who are please set me straight where I am wrong, how different is that than enlisting for military duty? Our Men & Women protecting our country know (or at least have a good idea) of what they are getting into & make the conscious decision to do this. They are no longer their own during their term.

(please don't mis-interpret this, I am not making criminals equals with our heroes, just a comparison of "slavery")

CRIMINALS when committing a crime are conscious of what they are doing, it is a conscious decision to break the law, many times affecting victims & their families for the rest of their lives. Knowing that if they get caught that it is going to mean that they have to perform labor to support their sentence.
    Citizens have to work to support their existance.
    Maybe actually charge them for the expense (non bankruptable) & give them the option to "work it off" while incarcerated.
    The way that "the system" has seemed to produce better criminals is proof that it doesn't work
    I beleive there are lots of better choices than the way the system works now & there is room for abuse if power gets into the wrong hands. Power has been in the wrong hands & look where we are now.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I'm not one for "labor camps" but i would have no problem with contracts of indenture for non-violent offenders being sold to pay for damages.

Indentured individuals would still retain all their rights, however if they didn't fulfill the terms of their contracts they would face prison time.

Example: Man gets drunk and crashes his car through the front of city hall. With injuries and property damage it is calculated that he caused 100,00 dollars in damage. The prosecution as well as a judge determines that he isn't a risk to society so an intenturement contract is drafted and signed by him and his lawyer after agreeing to it. The contract is then placed on a market and a local waste management company picks it up and negotiates a 5 year term with a 800 dollar per month cost of living stipend. The company pays the city and victims their restitution. The man spends the next 5 years working off his debt while wearing a GPS monitoring device. Once his 5 years are up he is free to go on about his life, free and clear.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Ha, tell that to these guys.

Long-term jobless could face compulsory manual labour

I voted NO. At the rate this country is going, it would be you and I in those forced labor camps some day. With the expansion of government, more and more things becoming illegal, bans on arbitrary items, restricted rights, government licensure for everything, gun control everywhere, liberty hating citizens abound, a rabid Police State, unconstitutional "emergency" powers of the Feds, terror-obsessed Homeland Security, no-fly lists, etc, etc, etc.... We do not need to give the government the power to literally enslave us.

With stuff like this going on, it actually seems like a horrifying idea.

15 year-old student arrested for sharing chicken nuggets
    New York: 60 Days in Jail for Un-mowed Lawn
    Police Begin "Guns Drawn" Raids on Organic Food Stores in California
    Disturbing trend of the day:states now arresting people for taking video of police
    Government raids barber shops for cutting hair wihout a license
    Illegal to catch rainwater
    Georgia farmer sued by county for growing too many vegetables

If you want to reduce the cost of prisons, repeal all these horrible laws!!
    I agree with you 100%. It is already a crime in some states to be homeless.
    They way things are going you are correct it could be any one of us for any reason in a COOPERATE run forced labor prison system.I voted no.

I do agree the current system is broken,but forced labor camps are a very bad idea.Most prison systems in America are already run by a cooperation to make a profit for shareholders,can you imagine the abuse of free slave labor? If this actually became a law the biggest business in America would quickly be building for profit prisons and things like a traffic ticket would be so high many would be forced into prison work camps.They are already jailing people for the inability to pay fines,this would take that to a whole new level.

Last edited:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I say put them to work. Too many have it made while incarcerated. IMO we have taken the punishment out of it. Prison needs to be run in a way that people won't want to go back.

Some have said prison is for rehabilitation. BS!! Prison is punishment for a crime. Put the POS's to work! If nothing else make them work on public projects like roads ect.

North Carolina sure does make them work. I have seen them cleaning ditches and cutting weeds many times. Complete with the shotgun armed horse mounted guards. Love it.

Top Bottom