Alternatives to Wounded Warrior Project?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's been discussed several times about how anti-gun WWP is...

I've found a FEW of those links here on INGO, and placed them in this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...y_tax_experts_quick_question.html#post4232339

Any one have any more links to their attitude / stance?

Alternative charities?

Please post the information in the thread linked above. The OP of that thread has asked for references and alternatives, and I'm not able to come up with more than I've already added.

Thanks,

-J-

racr28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    Vincennes, IN
    As a 100% disabled combat veteran, I can say from my experience that there is no better military charity than Fisher House Home | Fisher House Foundation. This is who I support with my time and money.

Fisher House is one of the few military charities that has an A rating from charity watch.

The Semper Fi Fund Semper Fi Fund » Home is another highly rated charity. I have no experience with this one.

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    My suggestion would be INGO - Take a Vet Shooting Day...

I know I'd be honored to host day of shooting with our Vet's and I'm sure there would be a ton of other members that would support the same at local gun clubs/ranges.

Maybe not as noble but anything we can do to help improve their day or to make them feel more normal with all they've given for our great country would be fine in my book.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My suggestion would be INGO - Take a Vet Shooting Day...

I know I'd be honored to host day of shooting with our Vet's and I'm sure there would be a ton of other members that would support the same at local gun clubs/ranges.

Maybe not as noble but anything we can do to help improve their day or to make them feel more normal with all they've given for our great country would be fine in my book.

The housing thing looks good. Will look into this. We put up a lot of time, energy and money a few years back with wounded warrior. We Donated a new Harley Davidson, raffled it off with all moneys going to the charity. It was a nightmare. They were really not pleasant to deal with after the initial contact. It was almost like they were doing us a favor letting us play in their lot. No more, ever from our group. We were glad to do it but will not get involved again.

As to the shoot....I am in. Will help out...supply guns and ammo.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Helping Veterans | Donations to Troops | Remembering Fallen Soldiers | Military Charities
    Freedom Is Not Free provides assistance for specifically pre-defined uses deemed necessary, including:

• Rapid financial response to families’ immediate needs in cases of the tragic loss or severe injury of a service member.
    • Financial assistance to service members’ relatives and “non-conforming” relatives, enabling them to travel to their troop’s bedside for surgery, extensive physical therapy or extended hospital stays; or to a funeral, in the case of a fatal injury.
    • Funding to assist with the expenses involved in adapting service members’ homes (or their caregivers’ homes) to accommodate a disability resulting from a combat-related injury.
    • Special sports camps for the children of our wounded and fatally wounded service members geared specifically to this group’s unique needs. Freedom Is Not Free has held both all-around sports camps and surf camps.
    • Basic living expenses: mortgage, rent, utilities, car payments, car insurance, school supplies, clothing, food, gas, etc.
    Freedom Is Not Free does NOT pay for credit card debt, legal fees, alimony, or child support.

Here is a list gathered by Military.com(around 100 listed).
    http://www.military.com/spouse/military-life/military-resources/military-charity-associations.html

http://freedomalliance.org/ Very pro second amendment. http://freedomalliance.org/highlights/turkey-hunt-for-combat-vets/

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Just drink!!

Both Heroes Vodka and Sobieski give back to vet programs.

Heroes is owned by Travis McVey, and Indiana native and Marine vet. They give 25% of their annual PROFITS back to AMVETS.
    http://heroesvodka.com/index.php
    http://www.buyveteran.com/Search.aspx

Sobieski is a Polish Vodka with Bruce Willis as a part owner/spokesman. They give a portion of ever case sold to Fisher House. As of last year, they were the FASTEST vodka brand to hit ONE MILLION cases.
    http://www.fisherhouse.org/news/201...-milestone-faster-than-any-other-vodka-brand/

I know this isn't the same as giving cash or items to charities, but if you drink vodka, these are two to keep in mind if you want to give back.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Old, but helpful thread. Dropping some of my monthly patreon donations and looking for a good vet charity to route that money to.

Also good to know regarding sobieski. It's the only vodka I drink. Excellent quality for the price.

WWP seems to be generally panned here on ingo

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    There are several good choices here. Have you considered something local? I know there are some veteran organizations around me that will always welcome help. My group, FVGD, accepts donations. Anything and everything, all gets put to use.

Find something local that you can support. Just my 2 cents.

And thank you for even considering helping our veterans.

MrsSilverlight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I'm a vet and I'd never donate to WWP. When we were desperately needing help a few years back, I didn't qualify for their services because I was never deployed, even though my injuries were from simulated combat training. Ridiculous. I mean I get it, there are veterans far worse off than I am, but it still rubbed me the wrong way. Injuries are injuries, overseas or not.

I'll be sending my donations to Fisher House now, thank you all for that link!! I've been looking to get more involved in veterans organizations.

Right now I have a contact in AmVets that is trying to further women's services in Indiana. Can't ever give too much to veterans though!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Thanks for your service.

The anti-gun/anti-hunting thing with WWP rubs me the wrong way, but it also seems as though it, along with many other charities, have become, primarily, a means to provide high salaries to executives, and, oh yeah, they'll hand some money out too.

To really hear me rant about certain charities, wait until I'm watching some football games in October.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    Definately Semper Fi Fund. My Club, Marine Riders North Central In donates all of our fundraisor funds there. Check them out SemperFifund.org If anone rides we will be having a poker run July 22nd out of Logansport.

Top Bottom