• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    In the market for a 22 can. For fellas that have one with aluminum baffles, how do you clean them? I have saw ones with stainless at quite a bit more cost that I could throw in my sonic cleaner. Is it worth the extra $ for the stainless, or are the aluminum good? I will be running this on a bolt gun. Thanks for any help fellas.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I don't have a 22 with aluminum baffles, but I have a 9mm can with them.

I use a soda blaster to clean them.

If I were buying a can today, I would buy spend more and buy anything that was did not have aluminum baffles. Even 22lr is rough on the anodizing and the aluminum.

I use my 9mm can for both 9mm and 22lr. My baffles are starting to lose the anodizing and beginning to erode and pit. It sees more 22 and 9mm, roughly 98% of the time.

My last can was a Liberty Mystic built with Stainless steel / Titanium.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    If you're worried about cleaning it, you should probably spend the extra and get one with stainless baffles. Depends on how much you plan to shoot. If you're not going to put it on anything else, I wouldn't expect it'll ever need cleaning on a bolt action .22. I've got a bunch of aluminum baffled .22 cans and I never clean them,........but the key is that I have a bunch of them. I'll never pump enough rounds through any one of them to bother worrying about it.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I have an AAC Prodigy which is an aluminum monocore can. I use a soda blaster to clean it. Wouldn't buy an aluminum baffled can again.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    Yeah I am leaning towards letting the wallet take a bigger hit and go stainless or titanium. I have been looking at the Tatical Solutions Cascade online but not sure yet if any dealers near me deal in them.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I bought the dead air mask 22 due to the fact it's got stainless baffles. I say that due to the fact that you are talking about using it on a bolt gun... Check out the video by twangnbang about it.

A stainless baffled can won't ever be as light as aluminum but if it's a concern get a stainless one. It's a price difference that's less than your tax stamp.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Corn cob media in a blast cabinet works well, as it doesn't get cloudy like soda. Individual baffles are way easier to clean then a mono core...it is hard to shoot baffle faces from the side. Aluminum is nice for weight, and in some cans they have better tones than SS.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Get a stainless or Ti can and don't worry about the problems with aluminum. Save up the extra money and enjoy.

You will find out that spraying with carbon cleaner as stated in the above ad is not going to help if you shoot a lot. I have filled up a couple of suppressors many of times and the carbon cleaner is not a "walk away" cleaner. I wish it was. There are other methods that actually work, Its just that they are corrosive to aluminum.

Chuck

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    My .22 suppressor has Al baffles, and I clean it like my firearms - after every shooting session. I soak the baffles in Hoppe's #9 for a few minutes, then scrub them with a nylon toothbrush. They clean up pretty well. I've not seen any sign of corrosion. It was my first supressor, and I was on a tight budget. That all said, I have a few extra $'s now, and I'd love to switch them for SS or Ti and use "the dip".

Top Bottom