Aluminum cases no-go for reloading, right?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    They are intended to be nonreloadable. IIRC, they are also Berdan primed for that reason. I did once know someone that did go to the trouble and expense of acquiring the tools to reload Berdan cases just so he could reload these. I would certainly not recommend it though.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My understanding is that aluminum and steel are both no gos for reloading. Also some guns like my Marlin lever action tell you not to use aluminum cases. Apparently the bullets can be pushed back into the cases.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    They are a no go for reloading! But they have started using them to make jacketed swagged bullets out of. Dont know if thats what you call them or not but its something like that. There was a thread on here about it.

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Aluminum cases are designed to contain pressure for one firing only. If you reload them you WILL get to see what happens when one lets go.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    My understanding is that aluminum and steel are both no gos for reloading. Also some guns like my Marlin lever action tell you not to use aluminum cases. Apparently the bullets can be pushed back into the cases.

That goes for revolvers too.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for the responses guys. I've put them in my scrap aluminum box and they'll go with the next load of scrap I take in.

They are berdan primed by the way, which is a nice safety feature I suppose to prevent someone from accidentally reloading them.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I reload steel cased, boxer primed 45acp cases ONCE. No problems so far, and I've shot several hundred. Aluminum cases I've not done, and I don't know anyone that does.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    That goes for revolvers too.

I have seen the recoil from light weight snub nose revolvers make bullets move forwrd in the case. I would imagine this would be even more of problem with aluminum cases. I shoot Blazers in my Model 10 and it eats them up. No problems there.

My wifes .380 loved the aluminum Blazers. Wish I could find some more of them.

indymadcaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    morgan co
    Berdan = scrap Boxer? well i have done them and OLD steel cases 2 or 3 times with low loads AND do not have to chase 'em BUT i started with cast bullets and low charges

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I noticed some of the steel cases in .45 are boxer primed, but I had never tried reloading them. It sounds like if a guy were in a pinch he could get by with the steel ones. I buy (and/or sell) my brass by the 1000, so I probably will not be needing steel ones, but it is nice to know that it can be done.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I noticed some of the steel cases in .45 are boxer primed, but I had never tried reloading them. It sounds like if a guy were in a pinch he could get by with the steel ones. I buy (and/or sell) my brass by the 1000, so I probably will not be needing steel ones, but it is nice to know that it can be done.

I did a few at first with a light load and a cast bullet, and had good results. Then worked up a slightly more stout loading so my main range gun could hit POI at 25 yards. Shooting cans and steel plates is all I use this load for, but in a pinch, I bet it would work against soft, fleshy targets just fine.

As with any loading advice on the net, use your brain first!

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    Winchester used to sell, I think it was a 16ga, aluminum shotshell years ago. Obviously much lower pressure. I don't know if anyone tried reloading them.

Top Bottom