• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    Hehe, and I was argued with when I expressed my concern over STUDENTS shooting at steel from 10 yards in a NRA pistol course. I was told, "...the bullets and lead ONLY go away from the target in a 20 degree pattern." I then bent down and picked up a partial copper jacket from the line and asked which 20 degrees this came from.

Again, good grouping.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    First round I fired from my first AR (left handed, no deflector) left a little red circle on my neck. Could have come back at eyebone height just as easily. My regular prescription glasses are impact rated, but I should probably get some goggles to cover them so I don't wind up with dings.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Nevermind. Seems that the mods took out the trash.

(for those that missed it, some yahoo was posting his personal countdown to 50 posts. one every few minutes. all in this thread.)

Last edited:

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Good thing it hit your forehead instead of your eyes! Another reason why I won't shoot at MILD steel targets!!

I wouldn't shoot FMJs or even other types of bullets too close to a MILD steel target, because things like that can happen.

I was approximately 17-yards from the Steel Dueling Tree, and the shooters were probably 10-yards away. I was not, and would not shoot at MILD steel that close. I would rather hit the same Steel Tree at 20 to 25-yds

I took one years ago in the eyebrow just above my glasses. Watch the MILD steel targets!

This is a good reason for a range requiring [STRIKE]frangible ammo[/STRIKE] AR400/AR500 where steel targets are being used. Glad that it wasn't any more serious.

Hehe, and I was argued with when I expressed my concern over STUDENTS shooting at steel from 10 yards in a NRA pistol course. I was told, "...the bullets and lead ONLY go away from the target in a 20 degree pattern." I then bent down and picked up a partial copper jacket from the line and asked which 20 degrees this came from.

Assuming AR400/500 was used, the students are mostly correct.

OP - Sorry you were on the recieving end of the impact. I'd be very interested in knowing more about there dueling tree! Feel free to send me any details via PM you do not want to discuss here.

Everyone else quoted - fixed your posts to clarify. :yesway:

I agree with the title of this thread. ALWAYS wear your eye protection. No exceptions.

General rules of thumb or shooting at AR500 targets is 10yds for pistol and 100yds for rifle, and even those aren't black and white.

I'd be happy to answer any questions related to steel shooting. It is important to know that there is proper and improper grades of steel to use as targets. I'd hate for someone to miss out on the joys of shooting steel because they have been improperly informed.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I caught a sliver in my plastic shooting glasses at Pops Indoor range from a guy 3 stalls down, RIGHT EXACTLY where the center of my eyeball was, picked the shard off my glasses, left a gouge in the plastic and not my eyeball.
    Never shoot without eye and ear protection., I been whacked in the shins by a .44 mag rebound once..........no fun! Also caught a grenade fragment in my Kevlar helmet in while in the Army , no fun either and I was the clown who tossed the grenade.

Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    This thread turned but...I'm not sure how to tell the difference between the steel grades. I can tell the difference between 20 degrees and 180. I think I'll source some ar500 steel and build some targets myself and run a few tests. Is it supposed that the "harder" steel does not "rebound" the impact? If AR500 steel is truly "safe" then I'm all for it. Just that in my backyard I've seen bounces off of regular steel. I've seen evidence of a bounce at a training facility but I'm not sure of the steel. Thanks for the information.

Last edited:

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    AR500 is hard enough that the round fragments on impact. Roughly four times that of mild steel. There is no way to tell the difference without running physical tests, which is a requirement for all AR steel.

If you are looking to source some, give us a shout!

revolvers&w

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Albany
    Not just at the range

It is a good practice during your home improvement, lawn care projects, as well as motorcycle riding
    I have had nails come back at my face and bounce off of $5.00 safety glasses, they don't bounce off of eyeballs, I had the stem of a leaf embedded in my eye while mulching one time when I was young (no glases).
    Bugs and rocks to the face/eyes at 60 m.p.h. have a way of getting your attention while motor cycling.
    Be Safe !

Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    Thanks, I will. I'm very curious about this.

If you are looking to source some, give us a shout![/QUOTE]

I wear a helmet and eye pro to bed.

Top Bottom