• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    You don't want to try them in less you have a 1in 10 twist or faster. Most 22 are 1 in 16. I have a bout 2000 of the 60 gr and am building a 10-22 to shoot them because my rifles or hand guns will not shoot them with out key holing. I hope that helps.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    6mm has it right. I tried them in every .22 I own. Most keyholed at 10 yds. I think back in the day Ruger made a short run of 1-9 twist 10-22 barrels for such a thing. My barber claims he done some black ops stuff with the Army in Columbia using the Rugers and and the SSS rounds. Do I believe it ? Who knows ?

ironman870

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    NE
    I have a savage mark ll which is a bolt action. The brother has a Henry golden boy. Not sure on the twists but ill definitely look into it.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    OP-- don't know your 10-20, but Midwest in Elkhart has boxes & bricks at around the same price.

I've shot this in a Marlin 80 bolt action & 39a with good success to 25 yds.
    Don't think it'd cycle or feed well in a semi-auto.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I love them in my .22lr revolver. Good for backyard pests without disturbing the neighbors or worrrying about cycling the action.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    ...by not giving this stuff a try?

Aguila SSS Sniper Subsonic Ammo 22 Long Rifle 60 Grain Lead Round Nose

Its in stock now and has been for about a half hour. Ive been looking for some .22lr for my little brother, but im probably going to pass this up.

Thoughts? :popcorn:

I have a stockpile of this stuff, and a 10/22 purpose built to shoot it. As all the others have said, it needs a slow twist, 1:9 is good, to stay at its best accuracy. In my other .22 rifles - Winchester 290 lever(good), Marlin 990 semi(not good) some shoot it well, some do not. My Ruger Mk II did not like it, but the Walther P-22 shot it well. I have a Rough Rider with a 4 1/2" barrel that does ok with it, but the S&W K-22s I had did not do well with it.

Effective range is right around 35 yards. After that, it drops way too fast. Aguila uses some weird powder that does not smell very good, and in the 10/22 it can hang around and get stinky if I shoot too fast. The accuracy in the 10/22 that I put together to shoot the SSS round is quite good. And as DeadeyeChristasDad said, it is eerily quite thru a suppressor.

I would suggest buying a box or 2 of 50 rounds, and seeing how it performs in your guns, then make a decision on a brick or more after that.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    What's keyhold?

It's when the past-tense of "keyhole" is spelled without the required "e". --> keyholed ;) (Freakin' grammar Nazis..! :rolleyes: :chillout: ;))

Where the bullet goes U instead of o

:+1: ..and this as well. :yesway::)

When a bullet becomes unstable in flight, instead of remaining tip-/narrow-/pointy-end forward, it will often start to tumble end over end. When a tumbling bullet strikes the target, instead of a nice circle O, you will see an elongated U/cone-shaped/irregular hole that resembles the keyholes of the old-style (late 1800 to early/mid 1900's) locks that you could see all the way through. This is called keyholing.

Keyholing.jpg

:cheers: :ingo:

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan

I have some and it works great in AR conversion kits (thetype where the kit replaces the bolt) but yes it can have stability issues instandard twist 22LR barrels. Green mountain makes a 1-9 twist barrel for theseif you are so inclined and have a 10/22.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I bought a brick from Elmores about a month ago. It was very inconsistent and often didn't have enough power to operate the bolt on my Ruger Mark II. As above in a bolt gun it might be ok. but I wouldn't plan on marking any great scores.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I've been using it in my 10/22 Target Model for about 10 years without any issues at all. Accuracy has been within the acceptable range, and it's pretty quiet. Knock-down power in small game is impressive at moderate ranges.

Top Bottom