• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • forthehousew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    indy
    I see no harm in picking up discarded brass but am careful to get once fired brass, at my club they want it picked up so the lawnmower does fling them

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    we always used to lay a huge tarp out, this covered most of our shooting area & then some. we would simply fold the tarp until all brass was in the center & then start refilling the boxes. cleanup was a breeze.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    The firing line at the range I belong to is paved with a layer .22 brass. If I could invent a magnet that picked up brass, I think I could get enough money in scrap to pay to actually pave the firing line.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    jtull01 - Yes to the question about selling brass to scrape places. They do and will. They pay between .40 cents to .50 cents a pound.
    But if you clean them up (45's, 308's and such) you can sell them for more than scrape.
    I love to pick up brass. There is one think that I noticed abou the brass, is that if you are unsure that it is once fired or not, look near the primer end and about 1/4" to 1/2" up there may be some streach marks. This is a sure indication that they have been sized at least once.

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    it is pretty obvious when brass is to nasty to pick up but are there sutble signs to look for. for example, can you tell if the brass has been reloaded before? Is twice reloaded the limit?

chipperej

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Boone County Indiana
    Is it woorth it to pick up the Steel casings? In other words, can you reload the .223 steel cases? I see lots of those at the range. I am thinking of reloading and I pick up my brass, but didn't know about the steel.

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    Is it woorth it to pick up the Steel casings? In other words, can you reload the .223 steel cases? I see lots of those at the range. I am thinking of reloading and I pick up my brass, but didn't know about the steel.

I don't think you can reload steel. the steel is not as pliable as the brass and might split. You should also check to see it is boxer primed most steel is not

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I hope to start reloading in the next couple months. The other day at the range i picked all my brass up to have a nice starting point. It felt good sweeping it all up into a pile and throwing it into my bag.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Glad I'm not the only one doing this. But you have to think if we all are doing it who is leaving it all behind?

When my boys go to the range with me I ask my youngest (7yr) to pick up all the brass he sees on the ground and throw them this coffee can(which is mine). I get a lot of 22 brass but worse case I take those in to recycle at some point

AKg20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    up yonder
    I was at the range a few weeks ago and one of the gals only intro to handgun classes had been there the day before, left their brass. They shoot right down by the berm, my wife notices it first. So when the range cleared out, my wife and I started scooping it up, really exciting to find a lot of brass like that.

Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I love it when someone else gets a new rifle or pistol in the lane next to me, and its for something that I shoot. I almost always wind up with a huge pile of brass to take home.

Top Bottom