• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    wait a minute !!! while i have no particular love for KY , i have lived in indiana for all of my 51 years and absolutely LOVE the ne patriots just because all the psychotic colts fans hate them so !!!

Not a true Hoosier.
    Reported.
    :):

Last edited:

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    This most certainly sounds like an issue we should be bringing to the attention of pro 2A state legislators like Jim Lucas. It makes no sense that someone with an out of state permit / license, should lose the ability to carry on that license the first day they officially "move" to Indiana.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Do you still have your TN driver's license? If you were stopped, you could show valid ID along with you TN permit. Why would they question it any further?

chenowethpm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Indianapolis
    HoughMade got it right with the written law. It does seem silly that when I surrendered my Tennessee drivers license at the bmv in exchange for my Indiana drivers license, that even though I still hold a valid government issued picture license to carry a handgun from Tennessee I cannot carry anymore. Especially since Indiana honors Tennessee’s permit. Also I had to have the Indiana ID to complete the application for the LTCH here. Seems they haven’t thought about the fact that I can’t legally carry while this process plays out. Maybe it’s about them getting their revenue from license sales. Either way it sucks that I’ve been carrying almost everyday for the past 5 years and all of a sudden I would be breaking the law. But obviously I won’t becaude I wouldn’t want to jeopardize the opportunity to carry when my LTCH does get finished processing.

chenowethpm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Do you still have your TN driver's license? If you were stopped, you could show valid ID along with you TN permit. Why would they question it any further?
    i totally agree that it should be valid.
    i had to surrender my TN DL when I got the Indiana one from the bmv. I now understand the law is not on my side so it’s not worth it.

Last edited:

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Not to hijack the thread but I have a question from the other direction. I have a relative that has an Indiana Lifetime license but he moved to Michigan a year ago. He contends that he's still legal. Has Mich address and driver license. Is his Lifetime license still good here? there? If he moves back?

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Not to hijack the thread but I have a question from the other direction. I have a relative that has an Indiana Lifetime license but he moved to Michigan a year ago. He contends that he's still legal. Has Mich address and driver license. Is his Lifetime license still good here? there? If he moves back?

Nope. It's not revoked, but if he notified Indiana like he was supposed to It's not valid. It goes inactive until he decides to move back.

I was told when I moved here from Ohio that I could only carry in Indiana with an Indiana license if I had residency here. It's pretty dumb. I still had an active Ohio license and Ohio no longer revokes licenses when you move. I called the Sheriff's department in the issuing county and was told that it would be valid until it expired.

I ended up not carrying for 60+ days waiting on my Indiana license. Those were dark days.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This most certainly sounds like an issue we should be bringing to the attention of pro 2A state legislators like Jim Lucas. It makes no sense that someone with an out of state permit / license, should lose the ability to carry on that license the first day they officially "move" to Indiana. It seems like a 120-180 day grace period would be reasonable.

Approval for my LTCH took 16 weeks (112 days) back during the panic period after Sandy Hook when seemingly everyone in the state was applying for licenses. Had someone else moved here from out of state, they would have no ability to carry, even if they had a valid license from their former state.
    ^^^THIS!!! X2!!!!^^^^

This needs to be addressed. It is a problem and the current law creates a catch-22. You have to be an Indiana resident, when we get around to it we'll let you exercise a Constitutional Right that you could exercise until we gave you an Indiana drivers license.

Whether it's Jim Lucas or Ben Smaltz in the house or Senators Sandlin and Tomes we have strong 2A supporters at 200 W Washington Street.

My son waited 7 months for his LTCH in 2013.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    This is all good information for me to be reading at this time, every week I look for homes for sale in Indiana. I love my home but the state of Illannoy is becomming unbearable. It is kind of sad that I will be un able to carry legally for a transition period if and when we do make the move. Especially since besides the Illinois CCW I also have a Florida and Utah permit. Jim.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    You cannot obtain a Lifetime if you are not a resident.

Ind. Code Ann. § 35-47-2-4.

If he's not a resident, he is still legal to carry on his Tennessee license.

According to 35-47-2-21. (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

If he is a resident, then he can apply for the lifetime.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Nope. It's not revoked, but if he notified Indiana like he was supposed to It's not valid. It goes inactive until he decides to move back.

I was told when I moved here from Ohio that I could only carry in Indiana with an Indiana license if I had residency here. It's pretty dumb. I still had an active Ohio license and Ohio no longer revokes licenses when you move. I called the Sheriff's department in the issuing county and was told that it would be valid until it expired.

I ended up not carrying for 60+ days waiting on my Indiana license. Those were dark days.

I changed my address to North Carolina, and my lifetime license is still valid. There's nothing in the law stating that it goes inactive. It just says you have to notify the state of address changes.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If he's not a resident, he is still legal to carry on his Tennessee license.

According to 35-47-2-21. (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

If he is a resident, then he can apply for the lifetime.

Sure he can apply for a lifetime- but for whatever amount of time it takes to get it, he is not legal to carry. What he does with that information is up to him.

chenowethpm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Well, I made it down to the county office and paid the last fee for the lifetime permit today, we’ll see how long it takes to get to me. Meanwhile I’ll have to be “naked” until then unfortunately l.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Well, I made it down to the county office and paid the last fee for the lifetime permit today, we’ll see how long it takes to get to me. Meanwhile I’ll have to be “naked” until then unfortunately l.

Glad to see you taking care of business and not whining about how terrible you're treated moving to a new state.
    Good for you being a stand up guy. Rep on the way.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    Indiana has been doing very well on the economic side of things and this attracts a lot of people from other states. accommodations should be made in the law to allow new comers a grace period where their license in their former state is still valid for a limited period of time.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom