• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    How many rounds do you prepare when attempting to find the right powder charge for a particular rifle? I have been running 41g of Varget in my Savage FLCP-K in .308. I want to increase the powder charge. I only prepared 10 rounds of each other charge. 42, 43, 44, 45 and 46g. If I get close, I will do .5g increments. I would like to run 46 but I don't know if it will be accurate.

Do you think 10 rounds of each charge is enough to get an idea as to accuracy?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I think you're likely to miss some very good groups moving in 1gr increments.

I'd likely be going on .3 gr increments, 10-15 rds of each. Anything you don't shoot can be pulled down and reused.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    +1 for smaller increments when developing loads. I had a Rem 700 30-06 that shot very well with one particular load of IMR 4350. A half grain in either direction opened the groups up quite a bit.

As far as number of rounds per load, I would do at least 10, but 20 would be better.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    How far away is your target? Always, regardless of every other factor, range will tell you the most about a load. Evaluating loads at 100 yards reveals more about you than your components.

It seems you are going at this from the wrong direction. I'd seat the bullet square in the lands, find pressure, then see where small powder drops (half grain or less) take you. If max or near max pressure loads aren't working, change components.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Well, I really didn't want to load 1000 rounds to test so I am starting with 1g increments. Then if 46 works, I will stay around that and work my way out. Right now, I have been loading 41.1g and regularly shoot groups that fit under a dime at 100 yards. I am looking for a similar group with a little more velocity.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    It seems you are going at this from the wrong direction. I'd seat the bullet square in the lands, find pressure, then see where small powder drops (half grain or less) take you. If max or near max pressure loads aren't working, change components.

Yes this is my plan, but I haven't tried any max pressure loads. I have been loading the bullet square in the lands. I have that dialed in from a lower pressure load that I have been using. I just want to go up to max pressure then work my way back. I believe max pressure should be around 46g.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have read, in the magazines, the "experts", and they always, use the .5 gr., increments, I used, the half grain on my .44 mag rifle, and it worked out for me... I started out, with 5 of each round, and load, and had to go reload, more, and make another trip to the range.... love going to the range, but dissappointed, didn't get the job, done, in one trip.... will load, 10 rounds, from now on ..... :twocents:

Top Bottom