• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I haven't yet taken an Appleseed class, but several years ago I got in a discussion about it with a friend and he showed me the qualification test. It intrigued me and I ordered some of the targets from the Appleseed website. Over the last couple years I have played with it a few times, shooting a 10/22 at 25 meters, and always had fun with it. I was curious if there are any other folks who ever try this on their own, or would be interested in gathering at the range and giving it a couple practice tries, playing with rimfire rifles, swapping lies and telling jokes? I in NWI, but would gladly drive a little bit to do this. Winamac fish and game area is where I usually go and seems well set up for this.

Thoughts?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    IMO, Appleseed without the instruction and history is just punching paper at the range. You may be using a AQT, but it's not an Appleseed.

Why not get with some of the Shoot Bosses on here and set one up for real? There's nothing really "amateur" or "professional" about it, it's just a group of people with all different skill levels who'd like to learn to shoot a little better and celebrate their heratige while doing it.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I think you misunderstood the point of my post. I have every intention of taking a real class at some point. The point of my post was to see if there was a few other guys who wanted to meet up and punch holes in paper. I wasn't trying to say we should do our own version of an Appleseed and definetly didn't refer to the Appleseed group as amateurs, I was referring to myself and anyone else who wants to join as amateurs. It was intended to find a couple people who want to meet up and shoot rimfires with this interesting AQT test as one of the things we could try.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I haven't yet taken an Appleseed class, but several years ago I got in a discussion about it with a friend and he showed me the qualification test. It intrigued me and I ordered some of the targets from the Appleseed website. Over the last couple years I have played with it a few times, shooting a 10/22 at 25 meters, and always had fun with it. I was curious if there are any other folks who ever try this on their own, or would be interested in gathering at the range and giving it a couple practice tries, playing with rimfire rifles, swapping lies and telling jokes? I in NWI, but would gladly drive a little bit to do this. Winamac fish and game area is where I usually go and seems well set up for this.

Thoughts?

I'm as amateur as you can get! I'll shoot some AQT targets with you, sir. I'll even let you admire my Winterseed Rifleman patch! Heh!

In fact, I haven't really established a hard zero with my Savage Mk II. That would be a good change to do so and see how well it shoots.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I see both points by yourself, and Chez.

When I signed up for my first seed, I went and printed some targets. I shot an AQT. And then realized, with the usual reminders of bringing an 'open mind and teachable attitude' that I probably shouldn't be practicing without any of the lessons. Best decision I made.

Having said that? Shooting holes in paper is always fun... and perhaps shooting with a few riflemen may get you some pointers and ideas of what to expect (though you can find most needed info at RWVA's website).

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

Thoughts?
    We have a few members do this at are Meet & Shoots. Come join us.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...eason-6-nwi-meet-shoot-sat-25-apr-2015-a.html

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Bolt guns are manly! And more fun because you have more stuff to do for each shot. You get more for your money.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Robby, I totally get where you are coming from, but you can still bring a teachable attitude without coming in blind. The idea was more to get some camaraderie going and perhaps that will fuel a mild competitive spirit or at least a couple $1 bets just to keep us having fun. When I used to shoot a lot of NRA AP, if we got a few guys together, we would all put $1 in the hat and then pick your score. Whoever shot closest to their score, won the pot. Very seldom did anyone shoot less than the score they named.

Lonehoosier, I would love to attend and I certainly will in the future, but my wife should be delivering a baby any day now, so its tough to commit to anything concrete at this moment, though I will certainly be looking for future events. Ive got a couple oddball guns that other members may like to try as well.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Robby, I totally get where you are coming from, but you can still bring a teachable attitude without coming in blind. The idea was more to get some camaraderie going and perhaps that will fuel a mild competitive spirit or at least a couple $1 bets just to keep us having fun. ...

Absolutely! I wouldn't discount that! I merely shared my experience. And if I was closer, I would join you!

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Amateur Appleseed you say?

Hmm...I may have participated in something along those lines. It was more of a "Cliff Notes" Appleseed, but I still had fun! ...and shot better than CM! :woot:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Robby, I totally get where you are coming from, but you can still bring a teachable attitude without coming in blind. The idea was more to get some camaraderie going and perhaps that will fuel a mild competitive spirit or at least a couple $1 bets just to keep us having fun. When I used to shoot a lot of NRA AP, if we got a few guys together, we would all put $1 in the hat and then pick your score. Whoever shot closest to their score, won the pot. Very seldom did anyone shoot less than the score they named.

Lonehoosier, I would love to attend and I certainly will in the future, but my wife should be delivering a baby any day now, so its tough to commit to anything concrete at this moment, though I will certainly be looking for future events. Ive got a couple oddball guns that other members may like to try as well.
    There's the list for up coming events. 2015 NWI Events

Top Bottom