• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have a Kenwood TM281 radio in my car at work. We can use these to communicate less formally than over the police channels. We do own (or lease, i dont know the specifics) the frequencies on which we operate so lets not go over that. I need to know where and how to go about getting the proper license so that I can legally use such radios. I know there are folks on here who are knowledgeable in such things so I thought I'd ask. Any help is appreciated. :ingo:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Not an expert on FCC rules and radio, but I think HAM or amateur operate only on "public frequencies". It sounds like you are talking about a private communication system here.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    First and foremost... The TM-281 does not transmit on a frequency that can be licensed to an organization. Any use, other than a bona-Fide emergency is limited to FCC licensed amateur radio operators. Fines can reach $10,000

Getting the license is pretty easy. The technician class license is a 35 question test on rules and basic electronics. I believe you can miss 9 questions. Many amateur radio clubs offer one day classes and then give the test at the end of the day.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    As far as I know the 281 is not type accepted for transmission outside of the ham bands and if it has been modified to do so that is a violation of FCC regulations. If being used within the ham bands by an unlicensed operator in nonemergency situations that too is illegal.

As far as the original question, go to arrl.org and find out everything you want to know about becoming licensed. It's easy and cheap.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Thanks guys. I know nothing about these things except that we are allowed to use them as long as we are licensed. I was told about "owning" certain channels but apparently I misunderstood. I will find a way to get the license one way or another. Is there a way to do it without attending an actual class? Like taking the test online or something?

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    All -- If you just want your Tech license, then studying/taking the on-line test(s) should be enough; for all 3 of my licenses I took the tests over and over until I was averaging about 90% (and I'll admit, I don't understand a lot of the electronics stuff). Most test sites charge $15 +/- to cover printing of material and mailing (but some do it free), and there is no FCC charge (license is free).

As I get notices of classes or testing, I try to post them (& yes, there is a test set for this Saturday on the west side of Indy). With the number of clubs in the central Indiana area, you should be able to find a set site each month. IF you are ready to take the test and are having trouble finding a test site, PM me & I have a couple of folks for you to try.

I see this is in the "Break Room", but I normal post ham related items over in the Survival & Prep area.

Hope this helps, Greg/Grizhicks, de K9TLA

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    It's not just a matter of being licensed, it's also the purpose for which you use the radio.

For example, even a licensed HAM cannot use amateur frequencies for commercial use without violating FCC regs.

And yeah, you can find out everything you want to know at the arrl.org site.

Would also suggest you contact one of the amateur radio clubs up there in Indy. They'll be the ones hosting testing sessions most likely.

It's been some years since I lived up that way, but Google delivers:
    http://www.indyradioclub.org/
    http://www.w9rca.org/
    http://www.w9ice.com/

Other Indiana clubs here:
    http://www.inarrl.org/clubs.html

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    HamExam.org: Free Amateur Radio Practice Tests with Flash Cards

Go here. Create an account. It will know what ones you miss and what one's you get right and present the ones you get wrong more and more often.

You can still use it if you don't want to create an account, but once you leave the site it won't remember which ones you missed.

For the Tech level, a book, some reading and that site will get you ready by Saturday IF you have a basic understanding of some electronics stuff. In fact you may not need the book.

It is by far the best site out there and its FREE.

kc9bpo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    I have my tech license and try to talk on the radio whenever I can. A good place for practice tests online is : eHam.net Ham Radio Practice Exams
    When you actually get to the point of taking you test, if you pass, they will offer you a chance to take the General test. Do it. It won't cost more. You pay per session, not per test. So you won't lose anything if you don't pass it. I did that, missed the General by 5 questions..and I didn't even study for it. Good Luck ! Post you call when you get it. :)

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Wow, the answers are all over the map on this topic. This 2 Meter (amateur radio) also has a built-in weather alert feature. You are required to pass a test for the FCC, and hold at least a no code Tech. license to operate this rig.

Here's an ARRL demo. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlEVQNFg4FU"]video[/ame]

ARRL is an organization for 'Amateur Radio' operators based in the U.S.

I've operated a 2M rig in my car in the past, and I'm currently an Amateur Extra ticket holder.

We've got a testing session in Evansville this Friday, and these type sessions are offered at various locations throughout Indiana by volunteer examiners such as myself. Feel free to PM with any questions about online study guides, or other particulars to get the test behind you.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom