• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Anyone on here with existing experience and/or connections with amateur radio that could give me direction for a place to jump into the hobby/trade?

(I have taken a class or two on RF communications as part of my ECET degree from Purdue, but am nonetheless considering myself a rank freshman of the trade)

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    There are many books, and websites that will help you to get started. You may also want to check with the local amateur radio club in your area. The ARRL website has tons of good info and links. A little electronic or electrical experience goes a long way toward passing the Technician class test.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Check out one of the local HAM groups (google), most offer classes.

it is like any hobby you can invest as much time and money I to it as you are willing to... You can get a basic VHF handled for not much and stick with it or you can invest thousands an make it rain Benjamin's.

google Indianapolis ham radio operators.

there is a ham class that pops up on here often, might find it in a search.

inav8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Pendleton
    I would suggest that you check out Indy Hams. It has lots of good information on local clubs and their websites as well as other useful information. I also suggest that you check out the American Radio Relay League website. You can find lots of good information on testing dates and locations, requirements, news, etc there.

73 and Good Luck!

Krogo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    FirebirdDS,

There are a couple way you can dive in.

First: Find a Ham in your area and have them "Elmer" you. This is of course the most "personal" approach and depending on your "Elmer" you may or may not learn a bloody thing. It will expose you to the "Hobby" and the equipment and you use this experience to determine if it's worth pursuing.

Personal note regarding the first approach: You may find many Hams reluctant to assist you in your goals. Not all hams are ridiculous socially awkward idiots, just a bunch of them. Somehow they (mostly the old school crowd) think that if they "Allow" more hams on the air it will disturb their way of life. Once again, not all hams are this way.

Second: Self study. There are Numerous resources available on the Web. Since you are new, you will want to look for study material for the "Technician" exam.
    Some examples:
    Study Material to Earn Technician Ham License, Amateur Radio License Study Material, Amateur Radio Technician Question Pool, Amateur Radio License Study Guide, Study Material to Learn Technician Amateur License, Ham Radio License Study Material, Ham
    https://hamstudy.org/
    HamTestOnline - Ham Radio Exam Courses and Practice Tests

The last site, while not free, is exceptional. Not only will it drill the questions on the exam into your head, but it will teach you the theory associated with it. I highly recommend Ham Test Online at HamTestOnline - Ham Radio Exam Courses and Practice Tests.

Once you have studied sufficiently, Test that you have retained the knowledge with some practice tests.
    AA9PW FCC Exam Practice » Amateur Radio Exam Practice
    eHam.net Ham Radio Practice Exams
    HamExam.org: Free Amateur Radio Practice Tests with Flash Cards
    HamTestOnline - Ham Radio Exam Courses and Practice Tests

When you are achieving at minimum 80% score on every practice test you take it time to schedule your actual exam.
    Once again, the last one (Ham Test Online) will give you practice tests, It will even tell you when you are ready for the test (nice of it, huh?)

On a side note, Don't assume that since you pass one or two practice tests you are ready. There are 396 questions in the question pool, there are 35 questions on the exam. Just take more practice tests.

Also the current Question pool expires on July 1, 2014 So if you start studying, take that test before July 1,2014. Some, not all, of the questions may change!

Schedule your exam session.
    Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area

Find a session near you and take that test!

Tests administered by ARRL will cost $15 even if you don't pass.
    Other VEC's do not charge (The Laurel).

I administer exams in Columbus under the authority of The Laurel. We never charge for an Exam, everything is free.
    Laurel VEC
    Find one of our scheduled testing sessions on ARRL or The Laurels site (preferably The Laurel) and come visit us!
    (edit) While taking a peek at the Laurel Session page there appears to be a group in Indianapolis now!!

Don't stop with a Technician License. The Ham world really opens up when you get your General. Operating privileges are quite limited at the Technician level. General is much more interesting and much more useful. If you choose to use Ham Test Online, get the package deal. Tech plus General. It's cheaper than two separate purchases.

Once you are all set, find the Ham clubs in your area. Get involved with ARES or RACES, Search and Rescue organizations etc....

PM me if you have any questions, I'm always here and I'm not and Old School Ham!

Krogo-K9KER

Last edited:

indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    OK, here goes, I've been on the forum on and off for years and have dabbled with HAM, that's to say, a couple of years ago, I studied online and took my technician test and passed, bought a Yaesu FT-60 and never moved on. I posted a few times and talked to a few people who said they could help me out and they were great guys but didn't get what I was looking for. Please don't say go to some club meetings, I've done that as well and met a couple great people but after chatting a little, I still left really no better off. Call me backwards, introverted or whatever but here is what I'm looking for. Would like to pay someone to spend and hour or two walking me through my radio and making and receiving transmissions. Preferably someone familiar with the Yaesu FT-60. I know once I get past this hump, I'll probably get more involved but I know the way I learn and do things and showing up to meetings is just not going to help me in the beginning. First, that's not my learning style, second. my schedule is a nightmare and the 1st Tuesday of the month or other varied meeting times just never work out.

I've had people offer and say don't worry about the money, but life usually takes over and they get busy or want to meet at a club meeting where it's not individualized and I'm still nowhere further. We could meet at a public place, that's not a problem at all. I'm a firefighter for Indianapolis and live in New Palestine. Happy to talk to you ahead of time so we are comfortable with each other. I would really like to move forward with this and potentially get a mobile rig to practice more.

Again, I've meet some great people who I know want to help but for whatever reason, things fall through. I want to treat this like a business transaction or a tutoring situation so please don't feel bad. I'm wanting to pay for one on one instruction just like music lessons. With that being said. I will offer 30 per hour for you to show me how to use and navigate through the channels and use the local repeaters. Im thinking an hour or two to start and that might be all I need to get me off and running. I'm also willing to pay someone 20.00 extra to program my radio with the basic stuff. I have the cables and can download the programs we need.

Again, please don't guide me to some websites or you-tube or local meetings. That has not worked for me. Call me stupid but it is what it is. I've had people tell me to swing by a store to have it programmed. I cannot find any such stores. Each lead I've been given has fallen through. I would rather pay someone for their time.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas and I hope I'm not coming off the wrong way but I really want to move to the next step and this is the only way I see myself moving to the next step. Hopefully someone out there can help me out. Thanks again.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Looks like you have gotten a great deal of good advice. Personally I would have never made it in the hobby without the support of a good local club. It's good to have folks around that are willing to teach you some things...but not everyone is capable of doing that. So you need to look.

There are three license classes, no Morse code requirements, and no requirement to draw a schematic. \

Buy this book from the ARRL.ORG website: Ham Radio License Manual Revised 2nd Edition - it's $30.00

1. Technician Class - this is the first level. 8 year old kids pass this test on a pretty regular basis by going to a one or two day class offered by a radio club and reading the question pools. AA9PW FCC Exam Practice has all the free practice exams you will ever want to take. You can buy that book, and start reading, while taking practice exams every day and in about 30 days you'll be ready to pass.

2. General Class - this is the middle level, gives you access to more of the HF bands, more phone, more data, more everything.

3. Amateur Extra - this is the highest level Amateur Radio license issued now. More more more.

There is a Yahoo Group called Indy Hams...if you are an Indy Ham it has TONS of useful info.

Good luck

Top Bottom