• ...and so much more!
  • FULLMAGAZINE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Didja ever think about this???
    AMAZING PARALLELS 
For all who have made disparaging remarks about President Obama - read the following. 
I'm sure most of us have read the comparisons between Lincoln and Kennedy, but did you ever consider the relationship between Obama and Lincoln? You might be surprised. 
Parallels of Abraham Lincoln and B. H. Obama: 
    1.* Lincoln placed his hand on the Bible for his inauguration. Obama used the same Bible. 
    2.* Lincoln came from Illinois . Obama comes from Illinois . 
    3.* Lincoln served in the Illinois Legislature. Obama served in the Illinois Legislature. 
    4.* Lincoln had very little experience before becoming President.* Obama had very little experience before becoming President. 
    5.* Lincoln rode the train from Philadelphia to Washington for his inauguration. Obama rode the train from Philadelphia to Washington for his inauguration. 
    6.* Lincoln was a skinny lawyer. Obama is a skinny lawyer... 
    7.* Lincoln was a Republican.* Obama is a skinny lawyer... 
    8.* Lincoln was in the United States military. Obama is a skinny lawyer... 
    9.* Lincoln believed that everyone should carry their own weight.* Obama is a
    skinny lawyer... 

10. Lincoln did not waste taxpayers' money on personal enjoyments.* Obama
    is a skinny lawyer... 

11. Lincoln was highly respected.* Obama is a skinny lawyer... 

12. Lincoln was born in the United States . Obama is a skinny lawyer... 

13. Lincoln was honest; so honest he was called Honest Abe.* Obama is a
    skinny lawyer... 

14. Lincoln saved the United States . Obama is a skinny lawyer.... 
    Don’t forget.* November 2 is “Take out the trash day” ! Full M.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    14. Lincoln threw out states rights and screwed over half the country. *Obama* is screwing over all the country by throwing out the constitution.

there, i had to fix that. I have no use for either of them

Where in the laws of this country do states have the right to opt-out?

I'm just curious since everybody seems to be hatin' on Lincoln for things I think he was obligated by the duties of his office to do.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

I'm just curious since everybody seems to be hatin' on Lincoln for things I think he was obligated by the duties of his office to do.

We are a union of sovereign states, not appendages of the federal government. If a state legislature can vote to accept their state status & the U.S. Constitution, certainly they should be able to opt out and reject it.

Certainly the Constitution does not support the physical annihilation of a state who peacefully wishes to leave the union. If the Federal Government turns tyrannical, we will be begging for a way out.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    1.* Lincoln placed his hand on the Bible for his inauguration. Obama used the same Bible. 
    Lincoln took his oath with his hand on that bible as a Christian, Obama used it as decoration.

2.* Lincoln came from Illinois . Obama comes from Illinois . 

Lincoln was born in Kentucky as a Natural US Citizen, Obama still has not proved that he was born a natural US citizen.

3.* Lincoln served in the Illinois Legislature. Obama served in the Illinois Legislature. 

Lincoln served and represented the people in his district, Obama simply voted present

4.* Lincoln had very little experience before becoming President.* Obama had very little experience before becoming President. 

Lincoln actually had 24 years of political experience before becoming president, Obama had ten years and a ton of "How'd that happen" questions as he got his political offices.

5.* Lincoln rode the train from Philadelphia to Washington for his inauguration. Obama rode the train from Philadelphia to Washington for his inauguration. 

Lincoln actually rode that train from Illinois to DC, Omaba rode it for hype.

6.* Lincoln was a skinny lawyer. Obama is a skinny lawyer... 

Lincoln was a real actual lawyer, Obama is a wannabe

See highlighted red comments.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

Before Lincoln was president, while running, he spoke quite eloquently about the rights of states to secede. It was a recognised fact and was routinely threatened by the states in the NE, for a variety of reasons.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    What caused him to change his mind, do you suppose?

Well, Lincoln probably changed his mind when he discovered that approximately 70% of all federal revenues would be gone with the secession of the seven states of the Deep South. The federal government made a lot of money off of King Cotton and the importation of goods into Southern ports.

Another one of the points about Lincoln isn't really correct either. It says he served in the U.S. military. I believe his only service was in the Illinois militia during the Blackhawk War. I think he was a militia captain.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I'm not being snarky, but can you show me anything from that time that forbid a state from leaving the union? What is not forbidden is allowed.

When the states seceded Buchanan said he didn't like it but there was nothing in the Constitution forbidding them or allowing him to stop it (paraphrased), Lincoln after he took office ran roughshod over the Constitution to stop it, he arrested newsmen and had their printing presses and offices burned for speaking against him, he had a congressman arrested on the floor and held without trial and deported to the south, had an arrest warrant sworn against the chief justice of the supreme court for telling him what he was doing was unconstitutional (it was never served though), suspended Habeus Corpus unconstitutionally as ruled by the Supreme Court, censorship of the news and telegraphs, split Virginia without the consent of the state and more.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    We are a union of sovereign states, not appendages of the federal government. If a state legislature can vote to accept their state status & the U.S. Constitution, certainly they should be able to opt out and reject it.

Before Lincoln was president, while running, he spoke quite eloquently about the rights of states to secede. It was a recognised fact and was routinely threatened by the states in the NE, for a variety of reasons.

I'm not being snarky, but can you show me anything from that time that forbid a state from leaving the union? What is not forbidden is allowed.

When the states seceded Buchanan said he didn't like it but there was nothing in the Constitution forbidding them or allowing him to stop it (paraphrased), Lincoln after he took office ran roughshod over the Constitution to stop it, he arrested newsmen and had their printing presses and offices burned for speaking against him, he had a congressman arrested on the floor and held without trial and deported to the south, had an arrest warrant sworn against the chief justice of the supreme court for telling him what he was doing was unconstitutional (it was never served though), suspended Habeus Corpus unconstitutionally as ruled by the Supreme Court, censorship of the news and telegraphs, split Virginia without the consent of the state and more.

I'm not arguing against those points, boys. I just think that there's some intellectual dishonesty (not necessary put forth by any of you) regarding the states' rights issues, legality of secession, nature of the relationship between the federal government and the states, and the role of the Executive in issues like this.

The specifics of the South Carolinian secession as well leave some question as to the validity of the states' actions. In that regard, I cannot say that Lincoln erred in the actions he took. Beyond that, there's room for debate, clearly.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

the states are sovereign. the federal govet has no more power over the states than what the constitution grants it to have. and that constitution was ratified by the states, so the federal govt derives ALL power from the states. so if a state or state wants out of that agreement, then that is the states right. I have no doubt that lincoln did what he thought was best, but he was just wrong in what he believed. thats my opinion. and if alive during the civil war, I would have proudly fought along side my ancestors for the Confederate States of America. (I had Yankees in the family too, but they were the stupid side of the family :):)

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    the states are sovereign. the federal govet has no more power over the states than what the constitution grants it to have. and that constitution was ratified by the states, so the federal govt derives ALL power from the states. so if a state or state wants out of that agreement, then that is the states right. I have no doubt that lincoln did what he thought was best, but he was just wrong in what he believed. thats my opinion. and if alive during the civil war, I would have proudly fought along side my ancestors for the Confederate States of America. (I had Yankees in the family too, but they were the stupid side of the family :):)

I'd have fought for liberty and freedom. Long live the South.

Our problems today began with Lincoln. He took away the rights of the states and thus those of the people.

JWB made a martyr out of a tyrannical and treasonous king.

Top Bottom