Amazon doing chargebacks on returned items through UPS Store?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At my Hermitage
    Ive had my fair share of "uh.... I already returned that. And I see it was dropped off on xx/xx/xxxx at your Girls School Rd warehouse." (10 minutes later) "Oh, yeah. Here it is. Disregard that email. You will not be charged."

They have ticked me off on two fronts.
    I buy a lot for work on a corporate card. I get the bill from my boss and I have to give her receipts coded so the proper business unit can be charged.

First they started doing weird :poop: with billing. They'd split bill after they said I was being charged for the whole thing. So instead of the $100 charge I see on the invoice before shipment, I'd find a $40 and a $60 charge. So I cant match my $100 receipt, and I cant find two other charges. So I had to stop printing as I purchased, because there was no telling how they'd charge the card until everything shipped. Even today I still find random transactions where they would split it but it still shows on my receipt they didnt.

Second they had a hidden merchant reporting feature. It was supposed to be only for business accounts, but it was security through obscurity. I stumbled onto it and it was awesome. Couldnt find a charge? Run a monthly purchase report. Oh, look There is one of those splits that isnt shown on the invoice. A couple months ago they fixed it so only business account holders can use it. So now when I cant find something it takes me 15 minutes sometimes instead of 2. :xmad:
    Are you using the 'Business Analytics' feature in order history? I'm the purchasing agent for our IT group and the ba feature is very helpful when reconciling to the bank statement.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I do not make many Amazon returns to UPS but when I make them scan it as I stand there and have confirmation on my phone as I walk out…

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    On youtube there are channels of these guys that run around salvaging scrap for side money. Sometimes they raid big store dumpsters. One showed the guy finding a Kohls dumpster full of Amazon stuff, most was still in Amazon wrappers. Kohls department store is where my wife returns the clothes she gets from Amazon. Maybe some of it is not worth the shipping back.

I once had Guitar Center send me a zip up guitar case and had the wrapper had the right number, but the case inside was short for a 3/4 size guitar. It was only a $30 case. The Guitar Center customer service guy said a return tag would cost them too much and since I lived too far from Indianapolis to return in person, he would send me the right case and I could just keep the small one. I gave it to a kid at church and all was well.

I think a lot of Amazon returns are like that. If it only costs $15 new, what is salvage price on a defective one, two bucks?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    On youtube there are channels of these guys that run around salvaging scrap for side money. Sometimes they raid big store dumpsters. One showed the guy finding a Kohls dumpster full of Amazon stuff, most was still in Amazon wrappers. Kohls department store is where my wife returns the clothes she gets from Amazon. Maybe some of it is not worth the shipping back.

I once had Guitar Center send me a zip up guitar case and had the wrapper had the right number, but the case inside was short for a 3/4 size guitar. It was only a $30 case. The Guitar Center customer service guy said a return tag would cost them too much and since I lived too far from Indianapolis to return in person, he would send me the right case and I could just keep the small one. I gave it to a kid at church and all was well.

I think a lot of Amazon returns are like that. If it only costs $15 new, what is salvage price on a defective one, two bucks?
    Food Products and foam beds.

Reactions: Leo

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

They do sell some returned stuff via Amazon Warehouse for less. I've ordered a few things there for some substantial savings and I wouldn't have been able to tell a difference in brand new. But yeah, I think some stuff it must just cost too much to ship back and process the return, etc.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    The last time I did a return to Amazon was a few months ago, no problems. In that instance, it was picked up at my door because it came direct from a supplier and not an Amazon warehouse.

Last Friday, I was running some errands and took several returns to the UPS store for @PhotoNinja. When I got there, the employee scanned the return paper, said "this needs to go to Kohls for return". Turns out, only one item(out of I think 5) was scheduled to go to UPS store. The employee said during the return process, Amazon wants to default to returning to Kohls because it costs less. That is why one was to go to UPS, and the rest to Kohls.

As somebody above said, sizing of clothing can be a crap-shoot on Amazon. Everything I returned for @PhotoNinja was clothing(or shoes). I avoid buying clothes online.

Reactions: Leo

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    Amazon has told me to keep several things I was refunded…
    I ordered a 200 plus new rollator for the wife because I saw one someone had. Found out another was an updated model. Ordered that one and figured I'd return the 1st one. Amazon didn't want the first one back, told me to keep it and refunded me. Still doesn't make any sense to me , but we have a backup if needed ? ?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I ordered a 200 plus new rollator for the wife because I saw one someone had. Found out another was an updated model. Ordered that one and figured I'd return the 1st one. Amazon didn't want the first one back, told me to keep it and refunded me. Still doesn't make any sense to me , but we have a backup if needed ? ?
    I'm gonna guess its over hygiene and or with return shipping its not worth it and then take it through the process of reselling it.
    Most likely the company selling it and not Amazon ate the cost of it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They do sell some returned stuff via Amazon Warehouse for less. I've ordered a few things there for some substantial savings and I wouldn't have been able to tell a difference in brand new. But yeah, I think some stuff it must just cost too much to ship back and process the return, etc.
    Yeah, check the offers for used versions of what you are looking at. I bought a set of $60 outdoor speakers for $20 because they were "Used, Good condition". It arrived not overpacked in just the factory box. box had some extra stickers and black marker scribbles on it.

Inside the speakers were unwrapped but in perfect condition. wires still wrapped, knobs still in the sealed bag. The only thing that was "good" was the box. And that very well could be attributed to somebody too lazy to overpack.

And it was still protected under the Prime guarantee so if they were too bad I could have returned them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Are you using the 'Business Analytics' feature in order history? I'm the purchasing agent for our IT group and the ba feature is very helpful when reconciling to the bank statement.
    No. Our company's processes are slow and annoying to setup a business account and have purchasing order what we need. So we each use our personal accounts and either expense the item or use a corporate card and provide them the receipts.

Because of that, those tools arent available to us. They were when the security was lax and they just hoped nobody else knew the URL. Last time I tried using my saved link it told me it wasnt available to me.

But you are correct. it was VERY helpful. Several times I had to provide a report to management to "prove" I didnt simply miss the charge and that it was somebody else using the card that made the purchase.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I've had a similar issue with UPS returns, but I didn't hear from Amazon. The tracking info showed it was delivered to Girls School Rd but nothing changed on the return status page, it just said they were still waiting for the item right up to the last day. I did the online chat thing and got it resolved. I've never had this issue returning stuff via Whole Foods.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It seems problems with Amazon are becoming more common. My wife returned a gift last year via an UPS store that Amazon claimed they never received. Since it was lost, Amazon would only refund the original purchaser and she didn't want the person that gifted the item to her to know about the return. Shortly there after, I purchased an $80 item that UPS claimed to have delivered but didn't. Neither the seller, UPS or Amazon would make it right so I had to resort to my CC company. Then last week I purchased some jerky seasoning along with a couple other items. The seasoning arrived with the package sliced nearly in half, clearly from a box cutter, and spilled all over the other items. I had to spend 30 minutes chatting with a customer service rep. before they grudgingly issued a "one time exception" and refunded my purchase.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    There was for a time a temporary sales outlet in Lebanon that was basically a zoo products not labeled piled on pallets if you were willing look there were some deals to be had. On time I found half a pallet of splatter Targets for $5.00 will be using them for quite some time to come.

Top Bottom