Amazon Prime: Wise Decision, or the Beginning of the End?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    On a slight tangent..

Anyone else wonder why when you order something small like a phone case, they usually ship it in a box big enough for a laptop? :dunno:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, one thing I havent noticed mentioned. Be VERY aware of pricing. Wife has prime, and sometimes prime is more expensive than non prime plus shipping. For instance, I was shopping for an emergency shutoff tool to add to my CERT bag. $15.99 prime (free shipping). $12.50 shipped non-prime. Yes, I'll get the first one in two days. but its not actually "free" shipping. The charge is built into the price.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Oh, one thing I havent noticed mentioned. Be VERY aware of pricing. Wife has prime, and sometimes prime is more expensive than non prime plus shipping. For instance, I was shopping for an emergency shutoff tool to add to my CERT bag. $15.99 prime (free shipping). $12.50 shipped non-prime. Yes, I'll get the first one in two days. but its not actually "free" shipping. The charge is built into the price.

On top of the sales tax that is not levied on non-amazon products.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    On a slight tangent..

Anyone else wonder why when you order something small like a phone case, they usually ship it in a box big enough for a laptop? :dunno:

Cheaper for their shipping dept. to just have a limited variety of boxes. Rather than waste time trying to get the right size, and keeping them stocked.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Is that because you're selecting one of the alternate vendors, or is the price actually different directly from amazon for the same item based on whether or not you have Prime?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is that because you're selecting one of the alternate vendors, or is the price actually different directly from amazon for the same item based on whether or not you have Prime?

Various factors at play. But yes, only Amazon fulfilled products are covered by Prime. The takeaway is "free shipping isnt truly free." Now its not a bad deal, especially when you factor in the 3 day shipping. And that day also INCLUDES Sunday. :yesway: Their contract with the USPS is pretty cool in that if you order on a Thursday, your mailman will still deliver it on Sunday even though the mail doesnt run.

I like to point it out because I'm a firm believer in "There is no such thing as a free lunch." . We still pay the slightly higher price if we need it quick.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...especially when you factor in the 3 day shipping. And that day also INCLUDES Sunday. :yesway: Their contract with the USPS is pretty cool in that if you order on a Thursday, your mailman will still deliver it on Sunday even though the mail doesnt run...

Not when you get out away from the city. Down here a Thursday order comes next Tues at best. :xmad:

I also cannot help but notice that Amazon and their shippers seem to be sitting on more product in lieu of shipping ahead of schedule, even when circumstances would allow it. It used to be fairly common to get items ahead of schedule, it's very rare now days and you can even watch your items sitting still in the tracking information.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Various factors at play. But yes, only Amazon fulfilled products are covered by Prime. The takeaway is "free shipping isnt truly free." Now its not a bad deal, especially when you factor in the 3 day shipping. And that day also INCLUDES Sunday. :yesway: Their contract with the USPS is pretty cool in that if you order on a Thursday, your mailman will still deliver it on Sunday even though the mail doesnt run.

I like to point it out because I'm a firm believer in "There is no such thing as a free lunch." . We still pay the slightly higher price if we need it quick.
    That's not necessarily true. I have purchased several things that were from 3rd party sellers that were prime. I recently purchased a RO tank that was from some company in Commiefornia. It was Prime eligible. It was a little cheaper going with Prime through Amazon than buying it direct from the company and paying shipping. Wish I'd have bought it direct. Often when I go with Prime they send it UPS delivered by USPS. I hate that. It always takes longer.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Cheaper for their shipping dept. to just have a limited variety of boxes. Rather than waste time trying to get the right size, and keeping them stocked.

Ehhh, I believe they utilize software called Cubiscan, or something similar. The software knows the dimensions and weight of each item and then it cuts a box to size for the items. We are implementing the same software in out warehouse right now.

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    Just stopped in to mention a website called camelcamelcamel.com. It's an Amazon price tracking service (free) with alerts and price history for 3rd party as well. Of course it's kind of a curse as well. I hadn't planned on buying that thing on my wish list but it's the lowest price ever. Lol

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My first amazon prime package is sitting on my front porch according to the tracking information.

Someone told me that amazon.com sells knives. But it would be wrong to use my 27 remaining days of prime to take advantage of that.

Right?

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Someone told me that amazon.com sells knives. But it would be wrong to use my 27 remaining days of prime to take advantage of that.

Right?
    Based on the recent posts/meme, it would seem that first aid/medical supplies would be more in order for you.:stickpoke:

If you can forgive such impertinence, I do have a counter-mocking strategy to be employed along with you against His Englishness. While it is unlikely to penetrate the Chobham armour of the HMS Freeman, it may give us enough leverage to negotiate a moratorium on the punitive pecuniary provisions perpetrated against the Purple Pachyderm by His First Law.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My first amazon prime package is sitting on my front porch according to the tracking information.

Right?

I would think the remaining days of prime could be put to better use than purchasing *more* sharp objects.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Mmmm, they show decreases AND increases in price for everything that is in my saved-for-later list or in my cart.

I was talking specifically about the Wishlist. They highlight any price decreases with something like "(decreased 5% since you added to your list)". The price increases are reflected in the listed price, yes, but they don't go out of their way to highlight those changes like they do with the decreases.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I suggest...

ed21416786.gif

mash1.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Top Bottom