• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Im thinking about buying one, and I wanted to see if anyone here has one, or what others thought about them.

Im looking at a new in the box one, that has a Hungarian receiver, and I think was completley made in Hungary, not a parts kit rifle.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have one and I like shooting it and so does every one else that has shot it. The wire stock on mine is solid and does not wobble. It is a fun gun to shoot. It is a handy little rifle to have around.

Dave

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I had one of these.

<FEG> is your best bet on the Hungarian AMD "the birthplace"

Also

A AMD side folder should absolutely never wobble,

Quite a few that came in from CENTURY ARMS International can be very very shady, of course look for severe canting in every place possible
    and 2 that I have shot from century 1 with green mountain barrel, Nodak receiver key holed:dunno:

Some complain too about the lack of a traditional AK style optics mount, there are many aftermarket mounts that can facilitate your needs.

Also some complain that the AMD's wire style stock affect the shooters ability to utilize a "cheek rest" The Hungarian army wraps the sling around the extended stock like this. solved!
    picture.php

The prices are a bit higher for FEG built AMD's than Century assembled ones.
    The prices I have seen range from 450-600

If your looking for a CQ's 10-85 yards AK, this is a good option, smaller, compact comes in the hard hitting 7.62x39, super strong NOdak receiver and FEG built receiver.
    If your looking for something more versatile with aftermarket parts etc,
    you might want to look for a SGL:D or find an AMP69!!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/160023-ak_47_amd_65_rifle_7_62x39.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/107409-hungarian_ak.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/129321-hungarian_amd_65_ak47.html

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I have a TGI/FEG AMD. Beating the dead horse, I know, but if the stock wobbles, something is very wrong.

Very light weight, handy and quick. Perfect in the trunk-gun role, as folks have used the term. I honestly like mine a lot. It inspires no love or passion but it is a darned fine tool.

AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Thanks everyone.

This one is a FEG build, and it is brand new in the box, and it has no stock wobble.
    A buddy of mine has it, and wants 430.00 dollars for it. I was going to trade him a Russian SKS, and a 100.00 dollars for it.
    Im a old guy, and cant see past 100 yards, so Im not looking for a long distance sniper rifle, just something light, dependable, and shoots half way decent. I do have a Romanian SAR1, and it is a great rifle.

What kind of sling do you have on your rifle, is it Hungarian, does it have two tabs, or one metal hook. I had wondered how you could hook up a sling on one of these rifles. Do you have a picture of the other side?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Manif it were me Id keep the Russky SKS! those things are hard to find now and its worth I think right around $550.

Atleast I would ask for a straight up trade. But thats just me. I love Russian SKSs

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Thanks everyone.

What kind of sling do you have on your rifle, is it Hungarian, does it have two tabs, or one metal hook. I had wondered how you could hook up a sling on one of these rifles. Do you have a picture of the other side?

Mine was pre installed, but here are some links to suit ya.

cdnninvestments.com
    has "rear" sling attachments

Rear sling swivel on AMD-65 - The AK Files Forums

rear sling attachment for AMD 65 - AR15.COM

AMD-65 rear sling mount question - The FAL Files

amd-65 sling question

I think its a good trade, IF its for sure an FEG built AMD

AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Thanks for all those links indyk.
    Yes it is a FEG new in the white box from tnguns, and says made in Hungary.
    I did make the trade, and the stock on this one is really tight, and the button is hard to push, Im going to lubricate it up.
    Anyone know what the extra hole next to the button is for?
    Also what is that tool that came with the gun for?

I see those prices for SKS rifles on Gunbroker, but nobody around here would give that much for one. I see the same old rifles at every gun show that never sell for 300.00 dollars.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Im looking at a new in the box one, that has a Hungarian receiver, and I think was completley made in Hungary, not a parts kit rifle.

You won't find one that is entirely Hungarian, AFAIK. We have the TGI (TN Guns Inc.) AMD-65 in which uses an FEG Hungarian receiver and barrel, with the requisite US-made 922(r) compliance parts inside.

AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Yes you are correct, I have already noticed The Tapco stamp on the trigger.
    I think that is the same trigger that is in my Romanian SAR 1, and I like it.
    I will have to shoot it soon, to see how it runs. Just looking at the rifle, it looks well made to me.
    So far I really like how it feels.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Just a wee bit of concussion. That brake does a nice job... as a brake. It also seems to make some phenomenal resonance that directs towards the shooter and bystanders. ;)

AMD-65w2-301-20.jpg

AMD-65.jpg

AMD-652.jpg

Not as much fun as the (trunk) monkey but it eats less.

AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Very nice Paddling Man.

One more question that I need to ask. Is the Tapco mag that came with the rifle help make up the parts that make this rifle compliant?

I put in several European 30 round mags, and also tried four Hungarian 20 round mags and they all fit loose in the back, where they catch in the mag latch. Is this normal?

Are these rifles only made to use the Tapco mag?

AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Is my rifle the only one that the mags fit loose in.
    I did find out that you need to use the tapco mags to be compliant.
    I would have rather had a wobbley stock, than a rifle I cant use my regular AK mags in. Im sure with a loaded mag the back end will drop down, and not feed right. I cant even believe a rifle with the dimples in the receiver would have this much side to side slop.
    Im going to get rid of it before I even shoot it.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Sorry to hear that - mine are rather tight. They did (TGI build) go the way of tapco mag for compliance parts. I changed to US grips and piston.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    Try a good steel mag for fit. Mine has a Nodak receiver. and a Tapco FCG which is 4 922R parts and you need 5 with this rifle. I just changed the gas piston with a USA made one, and use any mag I want. The plastic mag I got with mine didn't fit well either. The steel mags, both 20 round and 30 round fit fine, so does the 75 round drum.

Dave

Top Bottom