• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I'm pretty spoiled. The company buys me a new vehicle every two years.

I haven't had a car or truck payment for myself in almost twenty years.

My wife was given a new company car six months ago when she started her new job. We sold her car so the only payment we have is her Harley.

The he thought of having to buy a vehicle in 10-12 years when I retired is freightning. I will probably just buy the last company vehicle that I have at the time. I can usually buy them for about $3,000-5,000 under wholesale. My company vehicle schedule is two years or 75,000 miles before getting another.

bkflyer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    05 Honda accord. 333,000 so far. And that's with being in storage for 2 years. I'm going to try to put 500,000 on it.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I know I read an article in the last 6 months that stated the average age was only 7ish years old. Anyway last year I got rid of my 05 F150, had it for 10 years and it wasn't a very good truck. Just last week I bought the wife a new Highlander. Her previous car, 06 Accord, has been an absolutely perfect car but with 2 small kids we just wanted to up grade to something a little larger. Our kids are 6 and 3 and the plan is to pass the current vehicles on to them. Shameless plug the Accord will soon hit the INGO classifieds :) Stay tuned

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I drive 2004 Silverado because I hate payments. They bite into my fun money. But it is a good truck and and still going strong.
    I guess I am average.....story of my life

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I just can't stand driving newer throttle-by-wire crap. I'm also one of those weirdos that likes driving stick-shift.

Wife has a '15 prius. we got it < a year old with 7k miles for quite a bit below the going rate. best guess is the PO bought it new for the mileage then decided he didn't like it, eating the majority of the initial depreciation. Thanks dude.
    I had a '13 Frontier but got rid of it partially due to payments, partially due to options, largely because throttle-by-wire and (while better than many) poor programming and engineering matching the engine characteristics to the transmission and general "new" features of the transmission. Namely the magical unicorn hoof octuple cone marshmellow synchros that reduce shift effort to near zero also reduce transmission feel to near zero and mean it takes about 5 minutes to engage a gear by which time the engine has dropped from whatever RPM it was at to idle in spite of the 60lb dual-mass flywheel/pplate that dampens clutch engagement to similar near-zero feel. Your arthritic granny could drive it and miss gears without mussing a hair but it drives a car-guy nuts. I'm being a bit hyperbolic but only a bit. It's also one of the better driving "modern" stick shifts and it's no wonder nobody wants them anymore.
    2003 subaru baja (NA because turbo=throttle by wire) replaced it.
    also have
    '94 Firebird
    '90 Toyota Cressida
    '70 Bug

average=22 years old and proud of it

dennymac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    La Grange, KY
    My main ride is a 1992 Dodge D350 with 414,000 miles, and a 1985 Jeep CJ7 that I rebuilt from a clean spot in the floor in 1995. My newest ride is a 2006 Kia Sorento. What kind of average is that? DennyMac

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    '00 F250 with 317k
    '07 Mountaineer 115k
    '10 Focus 93k
    My truck will be driven til it falls apart. It's a 7.3 diesel 6 speed manual so that day may be long ways off. Other 2 are fairly disposable, but have always kept up to date maintaince on them to get the longest life out of them

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Just gifted my 2005 civic (139k) to my S/O. She had a Yota Avalon with 200k miles on it and it was badly in need of repairs that were just not worth it for us so it's sitting in the wood shop until she figures out what she wants to do with it.

I got a 2013 Chevy Equinox LS with 30k miles on it. So far I like it a lot. Not too fancy; not too barebones. I'm still getting used to it.

Last edited:

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    04 Ford F150 with 108K
    07 Hyundai Santa Fe with 125K
    10 Pontiac Vibe GT with 80K (yah, I know, but it's my youngest son's first car)

I don't buy new and I don't do car payments. In my mind, it's just stupid. Bought the 04 Ford F150 in 2012 with 21K miles on it. Vehicles last and buying new every few years is not a wise financial decision to me. Sold a 2000 Chevy Silverado Z71 with 225K on it in 2012 to get the 04 Ford. The Silverado is still going strong. I see it in town often.

Dirty Steve

Top Bottom