• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    im looking to buy some ammo cans and would like to know which ones are the best ones. i have seen 30 cal and 50 cal ammo cans and metal and plastic. which ones are best? do they all have an o ring to seal out moisture?

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    All the mil-surp cans I've seen have the seal. would be a good idea to inspect each can before buying to make sure the o-ring is intact and the lid closes tight.

would take steel over plastic, but that's my preference.

micheljns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    THe steel is better and like Karl77 stated make sure rubber seal is in good order but you can always buy a new seal also

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Steel 50 cal cans with good gaskets are my preference. The 30s are ok but 50s hold more and stack well. :twocents:

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I find that having a couple of both works well. Different ammo goes best with different cans. Also nice to have a dedicated range can, that way you dont have to lug 4 cans to the range, just go shoppin in your ammo stash for what you need that day.

I prefer metal cans. I always buy em in the absolute newest condition I can find them in. Keep an eye out at gunshows, even the small shows. Seems like theres always someone selling a couple good quality cans. I buy em 1 or 2 at a time, uness I can get a real deal on em.

You can stack the medium ammocans on top the big ones, they center nicely, and give you a little space for getting them in and out.

Always check the gasket, there should be a nice steady line imprinted in that gasket, all the way around. If I don't like the look of the asket, I simply dont buy it. But I am both picky and patient.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I always buy metal. However, I prefer the 30 cal cans. I'm getting older and the 50 cal cans full of ammo are a bit much to lug around.

hillnc01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    FT. Wayne
    Where is a decent place online to pick some up? I saw that Palmetto State had them around black friday for around 14 bucks but shipping was almost $5 per can

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Best bet for mil-surplus is Indy 1500 and don't have to pay shipping.

I found that the MTM plastic ammo cans will PERFECTLY fit exactly 24 AR15 mags without rattling around. I like them for that, but otherwise still go with the 50 cal surplus

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I recently bought a case of these new, unissued 50cal cans from AIM Surplus.

New Mil. Spec. M2A1 .50cal Ammo Cans

They are clean, new, no rust, no markings. They appear to be the same as my surplus cans. The only problems I have seen with them are paint issues. Some runs, poor coverage, and some flecks/globs inside the can. Just generally a sloppy paint job. They are $184 ($15 each) shipped to Indy, for a case of 12. Its a little more than I would pay for surplus cans but they are clean, no rust and have good seals. So I think they are better for long term storage.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I have both, and like the plastic the best. Plano are very strong with good latches and handle. They stack very nice. I put some 22's in a metel can and they got very sticky haven't had that problem with plastic cans. they do have gaskets and got some on sell for 4$ each. When there not they are only 6$ per can.

bmyers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    I have both, and like the plastic the best. Plano are very strong with good latches and handle. They stack very nice. I put some 22's in a metel can and they got very sticky haven't had that problem with plastic cans. they do have gaskets and got some on sell for 4$ each. When there not they are only 6$ per can.

Where do you get these? I've seen the cabelas plastic ones for close to $20. They look to be made by Plano. I also like the plastic ones but would like to know where to get them cheap.

Thanks!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom