• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Hey guys I have a variety of 55gr 5.56 ammo and I am wondering if anyone else is like me..

So far I have been keeping each brand separate from each other. For instance I have PMC 55gr, federal 55gr, and precision reload 55gr. All brass cased. All "ball rounds" All loaded in mags. Each brand is on a different shelf in the safe. AM I CRAZY? Or do any of you do this too? I am running out of room in my safe fast using this method.. :n00b: If I just put all of the mags on the same shelf I would obviously gain a lot more space but so far I just cannot make that move haha. AM I OCD?! ahhhh

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Just a little OCD. Unless of course you give your home invaders or your targets the option of which brand they want to be shot with.
    JMHO. But it as they say " whatever trips your trigger"

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Just a little OCD. Unless of course you give your home invaders or your targets the option of which brand they want to be shot with.
    JMHO. But it as they say " whatever trips your trigger"

If I make it to the location of this safe to get mags than my house must have been invaded by 150 ninjas and I am now out of firepower!! I don't live in the fairytale where you are somehow alerted that you and your family is in imminent danger and magically have time to make it to the safe, open it up, load the firearm, and defend yourself lol.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I am not sure that will work, they probably want to be separated.

kidding of course.

As your safe space dwindles, if you are like me you will have to re-prioritize to make sure things you want secure are all in there.

Order is good.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I am not sure that will work, they probably want to be separated.

kidding of course.

As your safe space dwindles, if you are like me you will have to re-prioritize to make sure things you want secure are all in there.

Order is good.

This problem will be somewhat alleviated this weekend. Currently I have a Winchester 24 gun safe. A good friend is moving out of state and wants to sell his safe rather than take it with him. It is a Cannon 36 gun safe. Seems like a decent safe and he is cutting me a heck of a deal on it. BUT I know this will only delay the same issue coming up in the future.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    When I have enough of a particular round to fill (I mean FILL) a 50cal or 40mm can, it get's safety wired shut. There's a brass tag attached that's stamped with a number, easy to decipher if you know what my codes mean.

You have any idea how much a 40mm can with 1800ish rounds of .223 weighs? Answer: LOTS.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    When I have enough of a particular round to fill (I mean FILL) a 50cal or 40mm can, it get's safety wired shut. There's a brass tag attached that's stamped with a number, easy to decipher if you know what my codes mean.

You have any idea how much a 40mm can with 1800ish rounds of .223 weighs? Answer: LOTS.

I use 50 cal ammo cans but don't fill them full. 50 lbs of .40 pistol ammo (1500 rounds) is a little heavy to lug around in a hurry.

My goal is to have 5000 rounds of every caliber gun or rifle I own packed up in ammo cans. I should have this completed by years end.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    It's EXTREMELY heavy. That's the point of the 40mm cans, they're too heavy to steal! I honestly try to put up enough ammo to outlast the life expectancy of my weapons. Call it 10k per AR, 20k per Tupperware, maybe 15k per 1911, 4-5k per stockfish bolt gun. Precision long range hardware doesn't get anything stock-piled.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville

This I have down. We use almost identical systems. My issue here is not storing my bulk packaged ammo in ammo cans. My issue is whether I am wastefully using up shelf space in my safe to seperate my loaded AR mags according to what ammo in in them

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    I have all of my 20 boxes separated nicely and it doesn't take up any space . my .22 shelf is bare so i know not where to look when i look inside it..

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I have all of my 20 boxes separated nicely and it doesn't take up any space . my .22 shelf is bare so i know not where to look when i look inside it..

My boxed ammo is the same way. Ammo in the factory box or in an ammo can is a no brainer. I have it all sorted and labeled nicely. What this thread is referring to is my 5.56 ammo that is loaded into magazines.

daemon2525

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Yup, I'm a freak. I put my .22 stash in a plastic ammo can and tried different combination of box sizes to fill every square inch.
    Did you know that rem22 cardboard boxes are slightly wider that they are tall? It makes a difference how many will fit!

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I bought a heavy duty rack system for storage. The rack system company makes 48" doors that lock. I keep my ammo and reloading components in there locked up as well. My gun safe is full of guns :):

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I use 50 cal ammo cans but don't fill them full. 50 lbs of .40 pistol ammo (1500 rounds) is a little heavy to lug around in a hurry.
    You just made me think about that: Sure, having 1K+ rounds of 5.56 in a .50 cal can is cool, it's all in one place, but if one has to "go", throw it in the trunk and get the heck out, that's not going to work...

Think I should go back to the original plan of putting 5-7 mags in the .30 cal cans, with enough ammo to fill them, desiccate pack and forget about them. .50 cal cans, think I might be able to get 7 mags, 200 rounds, desiccate and maybe a small cleaning kit/lube, separate and sealed to prevent contamination. Focus on making it "ready to go" rather than just how much one can store. :yesway:

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    You just made me think about that: Sure, having 1K+ rounds of 5.56 in a .50 cal can is cool, it's all in one place, but if one has to "go", throw it in the trunk and get the heck out, that's not going to work...

Think I should go back to the original plan of putting 5-7 mags in the .30 cal cans, with enough ammo to fill them, desiccate pack and forget about them. .50 cal cans, think I might be able to get 7 mags, 200 rounds, desiccate and maybe a small cleaning kit/lube, separate and sealed to prevent contamination. Focus on making it "ready to go" rather than just how much one can store. :yesway:

Your saying to have 5 - 7 mags loaded plus about 200 loose in the .30 cal can?

Top Bottom