• ...and so much more!
  • Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Riots + politics = ammo panic. Nationwide lockdown + supply chain disruptions (could) = food panic. I pray we don't find out how bad things could get.

I think we are starting to see both. Well, the ammo shortage has been going on for months. I think food is just beginning. Went to Costco the other night no paper towels, no TP, lots of empty spaces. The wife has been to Meijer a couple times this week, lots of empty shelves.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I think we are starting to see both. Well, the ammo shortage has been going on for months. I think food is just beginning. Went to Costco the other night no paper towels, no TP, lots of empty spaces. The wife has been to Meijer a couple times this week, lots of empty shelves.

I learned my lesson when I didn't buy enough back in feburary. I knew this was coming but I didn't expect it'd go on as long as it did.

This time I'm picking up extra every trip, every time I find it.

Ammo is a lost cause at this point. If you didn't get in when the getting was good last year, you're probably SOL for at least the next 2 years if not longer.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I learned my lesson when I didn't buy enough back in feburary. I knew this was coming but I didn't expect it'd go on as long as it did.

Ammo is a lost cause at this point. If you didn't get in when the getting was good last year, you're probably SOL for at least the next 2 years if not longer.

I started doing that a bit ago. My wife yelled at me that we don't need that much TP. I tried to remind her that it was completely gone back in March/April and we'll probably hit that again, if the numbers keeps increasing.

Well, I guess if all else fails, most people still have a shower.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    Seeing 30-30 ammo going for over 5 bucks a poke was my weekend wake up call as to how bad it is now on ammo. Seeing someone sell 30-30 boxes on gunbroker for over 100bucks with the visible $6.96 wal mart sticker on it is just mindblowing. My regret is not keeping a spreadsheet over 2020 with daily ammo averages by caliber. I sorted all of my ammo last weekend just to see if I have some to sell.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I just heard Cabelas in Portland Maine had their Herters 115 grn 9mm ammo on the shelves for sale at $13.99/box today.
    Road trip anyone? LOL !

TolusD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2020
    Dream World

^This

I bought many thousands of rounds in February myself and I'm SOOO glad that I did.

Kelvin995

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2020
    West Lafayette
    what is wrong with gunbroker????? I can't understand what happened with them, are they using bots to bid so they could rise their price? I saw a sam7sf was going to 2k when they are in stock everywhere for 1799

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    On the opposite end of the spectrum, how are big box stores still getting in normalish prices while everyone else is going through the roof? Cabela's, Academy, and Rural King are where it's at.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    what is wrong with gunbroker????? I can't understand what happened with them, are they using bots to bid so they could rise their price? I saw a sam7sf was going to 2k when they are in stock everywhere for 1799
    People going there are likely just ill informed on what pre panic prices were, and they have no other stores with which to shop. It's just the free market at work.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    On the opposite end of the spectrum, how are big box stores still getting in normalish prices while everyone else is going through the roof? Cabela's, Academy, and Rural King are where it's at.
    One LGS near me is selling everything at pre-pandemic prices. Of course, every time he announces an ammo dump it sells out in about an hour. Economics at work.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010

Big box stores deal directly with the manufacture and negotiate contracts based on millions of rounds at a time. Most contracts will specify cost plus any increase that may needed based on increase in manufacturing costs. Big box stores costs have remained relatively sane. Smaller store and your local LGS deal with distributors, don't have the buying power to deal directly with the manufacture nor do they have a contract specify the price until the end of the contract.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Seeing 30-30 ammo going for over 5 bucks a poke was my weekend wake up call as to how bad it is now on ammo. Seeing someone sell 30-30 boxes on gunbroker for over 100bucks with the visible $6.96 wal mart sticker on it is just mindblowing. My regret is not keeping a spreadsheet over 2020 with daily ammo averages by caliber. I sorted all of my ammo last weekend just to see if I have some to sell.

This is crazy! I have a new scope on my 30-30 and need to sight it in. Good thing I have a few boxes but now I really don't want to shoot it since I won't be able to replace them.

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    Big box stores deal directly with the manufacture and negotiate contracts based on millions of rounds at a time. Most contracts will specify cost plus any increase that may needed based on increase in manufacturing costs. Big box stores costs have remained relatively sane. Smaller store and your local LGS deal with distributors, don't have the buying power to deal directly with the manufacture nor do they have a contract specify the price until the end of the contract.

What seems crazier to me is federal selling direct on their website for more than the big box stores. The box stores are getting their mark up and selling for less, so is it safe to say federal is taking advantage of the situation? I think so. Don't get me wrong, free market, but it's funny to me to see them selling at a higher price than stores.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    What seems crazier to me is federal selling direct on their website for more than the big box stores. The box stores are getting their mark up and selling for less, so is it safe to say federal is taking advantage of the situation? I think so. Don't get me wrong, free market, but it's funny to me to see them selling at a higher price than stores.

In this industry even in pre-covid times that's a common practice to encourage purchase from retail sources in the supply chain. LEE Precision has done this for years. If the mfg undercuts the retailer with direct sales they'd likely lose the retailers.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    In this industry even in pre-covid times that's a common practice to encourage purchase from retail sources in the supply chain. LEE Precision has done this for years. If the mfg undercuts the retailer with direct sales they'd likely lose the retailers.

I agree, and it isn't just in this industry. I've seen this happen with electronic equipment and construction supplies also and I'm sure most other industries are the same. The manufacturers don't want to lose their retailers.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    You should be able to find some at regular prices at rural king or walmart.

Good luck. I tried multiple Walmarts and 3 Rural Kings for 2 weeks and only saw 30-30 ammo in one Walmart. I bought most of it.

Meanwhile...

3030.png

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/30-30-winchester

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    If you catch it at Dunhams, they still sell pre-pandemic pricing. 12.99 for Magtec, 14.99 for Blazer Brass.....3 box per caliber limit. They sell out in an afternoon usually if they get it in.

Top Bottom