• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sardonius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Boone Cty.
    I've been thinking about storing some extra box(es) of ammo, for my EDC pistol, in the trunk of my car. Since we get a wide variety of temps and humidity in Indiana, I was wondering what steps I might be able to take to ensure decent storage conditions? Do you think using a vacuum sealer would be of any value? How often would you rotate?

Thanks Guys. Have a good one!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    GI ammo can is all we use.
    My brother has a few cans in his. He keeps a can of what he shoots the most in there,9mm, 45, 38, never know when a range trip will come up

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    As long as you actually intend to shoot this ammo, and the car trunk isn't your long term storage solution, then just throw in a bag of silica desiccant in the ammo can. You'll be GTG.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I keep a toolbox in my vehicle that has a box of ammo in it, I just recycle it every year.

rg1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    central
    The trunk of a car is supposed to stay cooler than the interior but I still wonder about the temperature swings from nighttime until hot afternoon sun and its effect on ammo long term. I was thinking ammo stored in a Styrofoam container would protect against the hot summer temps in a trunk? Boxes in a sealed plastic kitchen container and the ammo and container in a Styrofoam shipping container like this one:
    Insulated Foam Shipping Kit - 17 x 10 x 8 1/4" S-13393 - Uline
    However stored ammo in a car should be rotated I'd think just the same as the self-defense ammo in your carry gun. Shoot the stored ammo after some months and replace with new might be a good idea? My vehicle doesn't have a trunk and I haven't had any issues with a small quantity of ammo even after a couple years.

Last edited:

sardonius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Boone Cty.
    As long as you actually intend to shoot this ammo, and the car trunk isn't your long term storage solution, then just throw in a bag of silica desiccant in the ammo can. You'll be GTG.

Thanks TJ! Yeah, definitely not a long-term storage solution. Hadn't thought about adding silica though, great idea!

sardonius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Boone Cty.
    I swear by March Steward battle packs for car storage.... (Food Saver Bags)

Easier to store than an ammo can for just backup ammo.

Thanks Bob! I think we already have food saver bags, so I might try those tonight! Out of curiosity, what's a March Steward Battle Pack​? I tried Google, but it wasn't helpful...

sardonius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Boone Cty.
    The trunk of a car is supposed to stay cooler than the interior but I still wonder about the temperature swings from nighttime until hot afternoon sun and its effect on ammo long term. I was thinking ammo stored in a Styrofoam container would protect against the hot summer temps in a trunk? Boxes in a sealed plastic kitchen container and the ammo and container in a Styrofoam shipping container like this one:
    Insulated Foam Shipping Kit - 17 x 10 x 8 1/4" S-13393 - Uline
    However stored ammo in a car should be rotated I'd think just the same as the self-defense ammo in your carry gun. Shoot the stored ammo after some months and replace with new might be a good idea? My vehicle doesn't have a trunk and I haven't had any issues with a small quantity of ammo even after a couple years.

Thanks RG! I just came across a little styrofoam cooler that was used for shipping cold stuff - it would be perfect for holding 2 or 3 boxes of ammo.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    180   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    My "think so's" agree with the others here to rotate it every so often & shoot it.

Maybe someone here can provide some insight on how long military ammo is stored in non-conditioned space that experiences temperature volatility?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My "think so's" agree with the others here to rotate it every so often & shoot it.

Maybe someone here can provide some insight on how long military ammo is stored in non-conditioned space that experiences temperature volatility?

I've shot WWII 30-06 ammo in my M1 that I bet hasn't been stored under ideal conditions. Keep it dry and it should be fine.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I keep an "emergency range bag" in my trunk. It is a Craftsman tool bag, 10 Glock 19 mags, 10 30 rd Pmags 556, 6 .45acp 1911 mags, cleaning tools, ear plugs, etc. It's all packed in good Zip Lock baggies to keep the moisture out.
    It's ALWAYS in the trunk and first option for range use. I practice with the same ammo I'm depending on for protection. There's some areas I can cheap out on but defense and protection aren't areas I feel like trying to save $5 a month or so at WallyWorld.
    Long term storage is possible in a trunk but not my preference. Do it right or don't do it.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Thanks Bob! I think we already have food saver bags, so I might try those tonight! Out of curiosity, what's a March Steward Battle Pack​? I tried Google, but it wasn't helpful...

LOL.....sorry don't mean to laugh at your expense but a Martha Stewart battle packs are what I call ammo stored in Food Saver Bags.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I was able to get a couple free media coolers when my employer was throwing them out. I have mounted one in my truck to keep heat sensitive item in. My GPS, extra ammo and when I can't take it with me, my handgun. It works great. I used my infrared thermometer to check temps last summer and the dash was at 148 degrees and the cooler interior was at 78 degrees.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I vacuum pack all stored ammo. It water proofs it. Protects if from moister, dirt and most of the time from being scattered all over the trunk. If it is vacuum packed you can keep it in anything like a pack, range bag or what ever you want. To this date I have not had a round that wouldn't go bang do to the way it was stored.

Before I had the vacuum packer I would take nail polish and seal each round at the primer and around the neck of the bullet. I took one such round after the nail polish dried and put it in a glass of water for a week. Took it out of the glass and went on to the back porch and fired it. It went bang and I hit the box I was aiming at.

I have always tried to do something to keep ammo dry. I have been on to many trips that it has rained or the trunk has leaked and someone thought it would be funny to tip over the canoe. So most of my stuff gets vacuum packed that I put in my get home bag or my hiking pack.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I keep a .50 cal ammo can in my truck. I have it full of miscellaneous calibers. This way if I decide to go shooting chances are I have rounds on hand. If someone else wants to go I just might have a few rounds in the caliber they need.

Also works great if I have an impromptu gun buy. I don't have to go home to test the thing out.

Have never had issues with storing like this.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Consider that the U.S. Military has had ammo stashed all over the world in widely varying climates and some has been stashed for many years. These dumps are called "POMCUS stashes" (positioned outside of military custody of the U.S.) Special forces troops have lists of where these are. Some of these stashes are over 50 years old. It does not go bad from temperature variations. Ammo in Iraq or Korea never failed because it got too hot or too cold. Just make sure it stays dry.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom