• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kunkel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Indiana
    I've recently decided to start prepping for a SHTF situation and thinking about stockpiling some ammo back. Does anyone have any tips that I should know? If this has been covered please redirect me

Kunkel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Indiana
    Where can I acquire these ammo cans? I was considering totes and a dehumidifier but didn't know if that would suffice.

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Ammo cans - Aim surplus, gun shows, or local army surplus stores
    Plastic ammo cans- GanderMtn, local gun shop, wal-mart. These have a rubber sealed hinge and work well.
    Desecant packs - I get these from opening electronics at work. toss a couple in per can

I've gone the route of keeping ammo in factory packages or loose packing them. Either way works but I generally keep them in the factory packages.

eagle5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    I recently purchased cans from armygear.net, and I was very happy with the quality I received. Only one lid had a small spot of rust on it, which should clean up easily. The rest of the cans were in great shape with no dents and great seals.

Price was equal to what I could find locally, and quality was probably better than I could hand pick.

Armygear.net -- Ammo Can: 50cal - GOOD CONDITION

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Ammo cans are nice, but not required. The basic thing is to keep your ammo dry. Moderate temperatures would be a good idea, though I've heard of people storing ammo in unheated garages for many years.

Ammo stored under decent conditions will last for a lifetime. People are still shooting surplus ammo from WW2.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I picked up ammo cans from Bradis II in Camby a while back. They were actually less than I'd found online + shipping. If you can find them local, you'll be glad you did. Shipping can be a killer.

Kunkel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Indiana
    Ok my plan was to store them in a room upstairs that is not heated/cooled and gets humid so I guess ammo cans will have to be the way I go and probably a dehumidifier for the guns

Top Bottom