• Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I am going to resurrect this thread.

Had a conversation with a few firefighters and got to thinking about stored ammo in a house fire. I watched the MythBusters YouTube and I'm not worried about ammo "blowing up". I was wondering about ammo stored in ammo cans, metal ammo cans. This is a very interesting article.

https://my.firefighternation.com/forum/topics/exploding-ammunition-is-this

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    I am going to resurrect this thread.

Had a conversation with a few firefighters and got to thinking about stored ammo in a house fire. I watched the MythBusters YouTube and I'm not worried about ammo "blowing up". I was wondering about ammo stored in ammo cans, metal ammo cans. This is a very interesting article.

https://my.firefighternation.com/forum/topics/exploding-ammunition-is-this

That was an interesting read. Read it twice to make sure I didn't miss anything, and I'm still a little confused by the physics of what's happening with a metal ammo can and how that makes ammo explode differently than if it was just stored in the factory cardboard boxes. :n00b:

Curious, does this info change anyone's thinking on how to store ammo?

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    So what I gleaned from the article was live round in gun shot fire truck....makes sense it did what is was supposed to do....travel down the barrel gaining speed. At which point and time the gun went full auto due to a super heated barrel.:dunno:

Second case fireman hit by something but it was not determined if it was a round or a piece of the propane tank?...:dunno:

This seems like a nothing burger intended to fire up the soccer moms all in the name of safety of our first responders.

I REALLY hope this doesn't gain traction...no telling where the left would take it. May have to take all your ammo to a "Special storage facility" "for the safety of our first reponders"

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    That was an interesting read. Read it twice to make sure I didn't miss anything, and I'm still a little confused by the physics of what's happening with a metal ammo can and how that makes ammo explode differently than if it was just stored in the factory cardboard boxes. :n00b:

Curious, does this info change anyone's thinking on how to store ammo?

Ammo cans will retain more pressure than you'd think. When they let go, usually the entire lid leaves the immediate vicinity at a high rate of speed. The individual cartridges inside the can rupture and the powder burns, causing pressure to build until the whole thing comes apart.

Top Bottom