• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I am trying to organize my gun room. As of right now I have my ammo in the factory boxes setting on shelves. My loose ammo is in ziploc storage bags. I have been looking at military type metal ammo cans. Where can the large packs of desiccant be purchased to keep the humidity from harming my ammo? Should The ammo be put in the cans loose or in the factory cardboard boxes? I would assume loose would be better for moisture control but I like the organization of being in the boxes.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Unless you are planning on storing your ammo for centuries, or you have an exceptionally damp environment, don't bother with desiccant.

Corrosion is the only moisture related effect that will affect your ammo, and it takes a LOT over a long time for that to be an issue.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You can store them either with or without the boxes in an ammo can. Without allows you to pack more, but it is your choice.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If the boxes are not absorbing moisture, that pretty much means you don't have a humidity problem. I have lots of ammo still in the original cartons from the 1920's. The packaging is still perfect and so is the ammo.

Why does everyone worry about humidity when heat is a far greater danger?

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    If you purchase ammo cans in good condition, the lids will have a seal and moisture should not be an issue, if stored at a relatively stable temperature.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I store my reloads in cardboard oatmeal tubes. I ran out of space, inclination and money to keep getting the big plastic ammo boxes from Cabela's.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I started using the Plano plastic ammo cans a few years ago. I buy them when they go on sale and have had good luck with them. Heat is more of a problem than moisture unless it is a really wet area. Sound like you already have a good program I started using zip lock bags for my reloads a few years back too quart bag will hold 100 round of most ammo so just tag the bag and put it in the can.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have tried several different types. I like the MTM plastic boxes the best. As I settle in to one powder/load rather than trying a ton of different things, I'm not sure where I'll head. The plastic boxes are cumbersome...but the .45 ACP boxes fit sideways in a 50 cal ammo can and pack pretty well. The .45 Colt(44 mag is same)boxes don't fit in anything well...so I bought some repack boxes...which proved to be an excercise in frustration. I am not sure what I'll do with that caliber. I'm leaning toward rubbermaid dishes like someone said.

I have dessicant in the ammo cans as they are stored in the garage. You can buy dessicant in many places. I bought some from Midway at one point...but many places sell some.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You can buy desiccant packs in various sizes from Amazon. I don't have a moisture issue and I keep my components in Folgers cans and loaded ammo in Rubbermaid containers. However, I throw some small packs into the Folgers cans anyway.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    My ammo is kept in a metal cabinet in a low humidity room so I'm not concerned with moisture there. Since my reloading room is in the basement, even though it is a relatively dry environment, I don't take any chances and everything down there (powder, bullets, primers, ammo, etc.) is stored in sealed ziplock bags.

Top Bottom