• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    How about...

"If you have probable cause you don't need my permission. If you don't have probable cause, you don't need to search."

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    not saying they lack integrity but in this day in age it seems every one is more worried about covering thier own ass whether what they done was right or wrong.

Still don't get what you are saying. Are you saying they would have searched anyway if you'd denied consent, because that seemed to be the implication. If not, what ass covering needs to take place?

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    what I meant was IF I denied consent he may come up with some reason on the spot for probable cause, and since I'm not up to date on what constitutes probable cause I wouldn't know the difference anyways. No offense intended to any officers on here but this guys lack of training was obvious.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Probable cause is an amorphous fiction that exists only in the mind of the presiding judge.

You think that's Liberty you're tasting?

The%20Matrix%20_DivX_%20280_0001.jpg

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Probable cause is an amorphous fiction that exists only in the mind of the presiding judge.

I had a nice long response ready to type about the fallacy of probable cause and the utter lack of an existing standard against which to judge the veracity of the claim of such-and-such being used as PC, but that does it so much better. :yesway:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Then again, I wonder if I'd even be asked to exit the vehicle or consent to the search. I think being female has its advantages at times.
    Back when my wife was just my girlfriend... She was driving my car - speeding [something like 25 over in a 40mph zone], with a tail light out, and expired plates, and couldn't find the registration [that was in my name, not hers]...

She got a warning...

I would have been thrown to the ground, cuffed, hauled off to jail, several tickets, and my car impounded...

So yes ...

[All of the issues with the car, she was unaware of but ignorance is no excuse as they say.]

She drives ... a little more sensibly now.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Most officers asking for consent to search are not doing so just for the heck of it. If they are half way proficient at their job than there is something more going on. As as matter of routine I do not go around asking to search peoples nasty cars and I don't know anyone that does. FWIW many times I have had PC for a vehicle search and I ask for permission just the same. That is of course documented in the case report and probable cause narrative. 99% of the time the person will consent even though they have contraband in the vehicle. It is easy for people to come on here and say they would refuse consent and some might. In reality very very few people actually refuse consent and I mean very few.

Curious as to other INGO officers refusal to consent ball park percentages. I am betting they are pretty low.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Most officers asking for consent to search are not doing so just for the heck of it. If they are half way proficient at their job than there is something more going on. As as matter of routine I do not go around asking to search peoples nasty cars and I don't know anyone that does. FWIW many times I have had PC for a vehicle search and I ask for permission just the same. That is of course documented in the case report and probable cause narrative. 99% of the time the person will consent even though they have contraband in the vehicle. It is easy for people to come on here and say they would refuse consent and some might. In reality very very few people actually refuse consent and I mean very few.

Curious as to other INGO officers refusal to consent ball park percentages. I am betting they are pretty low.
    I have no problem believing that statement at all.

Even folks I know that spilled their blood and guts in Nam think it just silly to refuse a search because they have nothing to hide.

Last edited:

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County

the fact he wanted to search my extremely clean car was annoying, considering it is spotless, which has nothing to do with it. I am more annoyed with his lack of training and the fact he oblivious to safety. Had I been an individual that wanted to do him and his ride along harm it would not have been difficult, this annoys me because we depend on individuals such as this to render aid in a dangerous situation among their other duties. But as others have stated it could be a training issue.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    In reality very very few people actually refuse consent and I mean very few.

I am one of the few who has refused consent for a search.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My guess is that those people who say they would refuse a search actually don't get put in those situations very often. Think about it. People who take an interest in the law tend to be those who follow the law.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My guess is that those people who say they would refuse a search actually don't get put in those situations very often. Think about it. People who take an interest in the law tend to be those who follow the law.

How often you you have to be put in that situation.
    Illinois trooper wanted to search my car for weapons.
    I refused.
    He warned he'd get a warrant.
    I waited.
    I was released.
    He was just fishing.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I've never had myself or my car searched, but if asked I would say no.

That said, hopefully I go my whole life without ever being asked that question... Now that I've said this - it'll happen to me the next time I drive.

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    Please forgive my ignorance, I'm not a LEO, but I have to ask, why would a cop want to take the time to search a vehicle he didn't have probable cause to search in the first place? Suspicion? Intuition? Fishing expedition? Impressing a councilman?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom