• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    I wish someone would create a spring-loaded biometric trigger lock. One where you activate the sensor with pinch pressure.

To unlock you pinch thumb and either middle or pointer finger together on either side of the device. The sensor activates and reads the print of either finger used. The locking bolt would disengage on print verification and a compressed spring around the bolt would cause the device to pop apart into two pieces dropping away from the trigger guard.

Ideally this device would allow you to keep a weapon anywhere you wished but prevent un-intended use. It would also come off fast enough as to put to rest accessibility concerns.

I have had this idea in my head for a long time now and reading a recent thread about securing your guns around kids prompted me to post my idea.

In my house, there is no safe yet. The majority of our guns are mainly kept in one room, but others are accessible in rooms we frequent in-case of robbery/invasion. All are concealed but exist fully loaded, with one in the pipe when possible; safeties on if they have one.

I was raised in a house full of readily accessible loaded guns. I follow the train of thought that high familiarity plus safety training is a good recipe for life with guns. I had the best training my father, a lifelong LEO and gun writer, could give. He lead me to the water.

But, I also subscribe to the idea that no matter your level of training or awareness, people (kids especially) occasionally screw up or get reckless. Hell, I have myself. I like to pretend it was a cursed gun since both accidents, separated by a gulf of years, were with the same gun. Once as a kid (reckless) and once as an adult (screw up). I sold that damned spanish pistol in case you were curious.

Having two sons (1yr and 4yrs old) I am very torn. Do I continue to stay at the bleeding edge of readiness or invest in some physical security measures? Anyway, you would think with today's technology this choice would not be necessary.

I really wish someone would run with my idea or similar and make it work. Do it for the love of gun ownership and the hate of compromise. Do it for all of us. Hell it might even trip up the gun-grabbers.

Last edited:

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    My biggest concern with such a device would be just as anything else, the more parts or the more complicated the device the greater the chance that it may fail to function properly. I would prefer myself, to keep things simple. I would not stake my life on such a device. An important factor for most gun owners when choosing a weapon is reliability.

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    My biggest concern with such a device would be just as anything else, the more parts or the more complicated the device the greater the chance that it may fail to function properly. I would prefer myself, to keep things simple. I would not stake my life on such a device. An important factor for most gun owners when choosing a weapon is reliability.

Yeah I thought about that too. Unfortunately I simply cant fathom anyway of doing it low-fi that doesn't make it just as slow as using a traditional safe or trigger lock. I don't want a key to make it work. I don't want to put in a combination. Going with "there's a trick to it" styles like medicine bottles would also be pointless considering how easy kids get into those. In the end I figure maybe if it was built with extreme emphasis on quality control and very rugged perhaps it would be more trustworthy.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Jordan, just a question, what is the difference, between your idea, and the so called "smart" technology, where you wear a "ring", and it lets the gun be used .....

This is post # 5000, for me .....

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I bought a biometric gunsafe recently, to use for my nightstand. It works about 30% of the time so it is USELESS in an emergency. I have relegated it to long term storage use in a location where I have time to fiddle with it to get it open. I will NEVER have a device like that on a weapon I might need in a hurry.

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    Jordan, just a question, what is the difference, between your idea, and the so called "smart" technology, where you wear a "ring", and it lets the gun be used .....

This is post # 5000, for me .....

You can loose a ring easier than you can loose a finger. Also some people have metal allergies. Also my idea would work with current firearms and not require a new specific gun to be bought. Additionally: multi-user cost. If several adults needed access to the smart gun they would all need rings -- where as with my idea a large number of authorized user prints could be stored to the embedded memory.

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    I've been pretty vocal, you gotta lock 'em up.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLLQWplcLgg

Didn't intend for the thread to turn into the debate, but to pitch an idea to eliminate it.

I agree in some cases it is the only way to totally prevent un-intentional use. But there would not be a debate around it if others did not see things differently and have accident free histories to bolster their view point.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    If you didn't want a debate, then why oh why did you include the paragraph that I quoted??? Sounds like you are quite literally asking for one does it not?

Oye.....

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    it would seem more simple to buy a safe and keep your EDC on you from the time you wake up until the time you go to bed, if any other adults in the house need access to a weapon then maybe they too should consider carrying at home or maybe obtaining an LTCH and carrying all the time. It would seem more simple. Plus you would be amazed at what a burglar can find.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I want no such thing on my firearms. Anything that I have to activate before I can shoot is just one more thing to go wrong, just one more thing to screw up when I absolutely need it the most.

No thanks. I've got too much experience with "technology."

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I want no such thing on my firearms. Anything that I have to activate before I can shoot is just one more thing to go wrong, just one more thing to screw up when I absolutely need it the most.

No thanks. I've got too much experience with "technology."

I'm sure something like that is technically feasible. But I agree with jbom...I work around electrical things all day long--the "best" stuff industrial plants can buy--and they inevitably fail. They fail unexpectedly and you're "dead in the water" until you can replace them.

Sorry, but I probably wouldn't be a customer.

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    I understand the distrust of technology and the inevitability of failure. Although about the battery issue... I was thinking perhaps using thermo-electrics.

There is a submission on the google science fair where a girl made a flashlight that works simply by holding it - it works on body heat transfer. Its based on material science/chemical reaction and doesn't require microchips or other tiny parts to work.

I am sure the tiny amount of energy needed to activate the sensor and allow for unlocking could also be handled in a similar way. The transfer from the squeezing and printing. Perhaps this could even be coupled with kinetic energy like in some watches. Who knows.

I am just one person. If anyone else can think of some ingenious mechanical way to achieve the same concept of an instant off locking device... lets play with the idea.

These are just ideas and ideas grow. It is very rare a concept goes to production without a slew of changes and new ideas. My hope is someone, someday figures it out. I am no engineer. Until then we have what we have.

Top Bottom