• ...and so much more!
  • Lucar186

Threat to Democracy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2024
    Auburn
    What is it about 45 auto that has such a fire and ice grip on me? I'm a practical guy. I like Glocks and Hondas. I'd take a 308 over 6.5. I'd rather marry a woman who's better in the kitchen than the bed.

View attachment 330259

A Springfield 1911 45 was my first carry. And I hated it. Only carried on occasions because it was quite large and heavy. Rarely trained with it due to ammo cost. Only used it once to dispatch a coon on the deck. Swapped it for an XDM 9mm and I was happy.

View attachment 330262

The 45 auto cartridge to me on paper has nothing desirable. Its very inefficient both is construction and in ballistic performance. Its can be prone to bullet setback. Low capacity. Higher cost than it should be. Its absurdly heavy if you've ever moved a couple hundred rounds in a bag or something. Almost double the recoil of 9mm despite pushing about the same energy. Ive found many people carry it simply based on anecdotal and often overhyped information.

The idea of 45 auto in a Glock (or any polymer gun besides an HK) kinda disgusts me. But 1911s.... HAVE to be 45 in my mind. I can't tell you why, guess I'm not in control of my firearms fetish. But not only that, there's something special about having the two together. I can't describe to people just how much fun it is to shoot a nice 5 inch 1911 in "the lords caliber"

To me there's nothing practical about nor do I have a use for 45. Despite that I actually had to buy a Colt Govt Model in 45 auto just to satiate that unnatural itch... And I've never regretted it! I never spend money that fast. But when I saw this lookin back at me I chucked $850 at it like it was burning my pocket.

View attachment 330261

And here recently I'm looking into getting a chamber adapter for a shotgun. Going down through the list of all these wonderful and practical handgun chamberings ..... and the only thing that jumps out at me is the 45 auto. Got me again!

View attachment 330263

Why and how do I both love and hate it ?! Why have I had to fight the urge to rebarrel a mauser 98 in 45 auto? I shouldnt have to do that more than once. But here I am again for the third time talking myself out of that bad decision.

View attachment 330258

Ill get off this bipolar soap box now and go shoot some 45. But I'm curious if anyone else has fire and ice relationships with cartridges / firearms like I do.

:ingo:
    I’m not quite sure how I feel about the Mauser but it is a pretty 1911. If I had $850 to spare and saw that I could certainly convince myself to buy it.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Carried a Star PD .45 for almost 40 years in 4". Now that I'm older and have wrist issues I'm carrying a Browning .380. I like it but in the back of my mind its still a .380. Now I'm considering a Kimber or Springfield in 9mm 4". If it wasn't for my wrist I wouldn't be thinking about any of this.
    I've had two star PDs for years one in new condition and one in well used condition I also have a pristine Star BKM in 9 mm which is the light version of a 1911. I carry the PD in a Miami classic shoulder holster with the firearm on the left side and a two pouch magazine holder on the right side. It's okay in cold weather but in the summer it's impractical, but I still like them. But like most everyone else, I've got a ton of 9mm hand guns and PCC's.
    I've got serious problems with my hands, (IE) trigger finger and peripheral neuropathy so I do not practice shooting anymore because it's severely hurts my hands but since it's gotten so dangerous I now carry a Smith & Wesson 642 with Hornady critical defense ammo made for short barrel revolvers I don't shoot it either but if I have to in an emergency I'll just have to put up with the pain.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I bought a 99.99% as new P220 from another member a week or so ago.
    I installed a short reset last night and most likely shoot it this weekend.
    I've always been a Colt 70 Series & Canadian Para Ordnance guy, so we will see.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    You're gonna like that. Especially with an SRT kit installed, the P220 is just about the perfect single-stack .45.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You're gonna like that. Especially with an SRT kit installed, the P220 is just about the perfect single-stack .45.
    They are fine shooting pistols for sure.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My dad was a 1911 guy, but loved his sig 220.
    Had two, offered me one.
    Shot both of em fine but preferred the 1911 platform.
    Old man liked Pachmayrs on stuff, I like Hogue.

LOL

Had a Colt Commander that was exceptional, for years.
    My carry rig.
    Changed to 9mm higher cap stuff.

Only .45 acp Id be interested in would be a Sig Target 1911 in stainless.
    Have an arched Pachmayr MS housing waiting for when I score one :)

But if a new Delta Elite comes along, will go in that.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I & we, have a slew of P Series pistols, all have the short resets. Its one of the best things that Sigs engineers have come up with.
    This pistol was interesting with just putting the reset in with these kits for the P220 having an up graded de-cocker lever. Getting the new sear in was a bit of a pita compared to the double stack frames.

In all my years, this is the first one I have held in my hands.
    I really am curious to shoot it, sad to say that doesn't happen to me very often anymore.
    Thanks!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My dad was a 1911 guy, but loved his sig 220.
    Had two, offered me one.
    Shot both of em fine but preferred the 1911 platform.
    Old man liked Pachmayrs on stuff, I like Hogue.

LOL

Had a Colt Commander that was exceptional, for years.
    My carry rig.
    Changed to 9mm higher cap stuff.

Only .45 acp Id be interested in would be a Sig Target 1911 in stainless.
    Have an arched Pachmayr MS housing waiting for when I score one :)

But if a new Delta Elite comes along, will go in that.
    I miss your Pop's. We had some great conversations over those years.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well it seems we have a SIG party going here again.

I just want to point out there are other viable options in 45. One of which is the PX4..

The PX4 uses a pretty neat rotary barrel locking system, that came from the Cougar series. This rotary system has far less things that can break and its rated for a fairly insane round count.

1713459535298.jpeg

1713459563850.jpeg

Its offered in two versions (all with changeable backstraps)

px4stormspecialduty_zoom005.webp

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Everyone forgets the old Smith's. Seriously, 3rd gen smiths in .45 are really nice shooting guns. Not as nice as the 1911's but nice.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

I just want to point out there are other viable options in 45. One of which is the PX4..

The PX4 uses a pretty neat rotary barrel locking system, that came from the Cougar series. This rotary system has far less things that can break and its rated for a fairly insane round count.

View attachment 347567

View attachment 347570

Buddy has had a Cougar since the early 2000's in .45. Good shooting gun for sure.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Buddy has had a Cougar since the early 2000's in .45. Good shooting gun for sure.
    An 8045F Cougar is definitely on the get list for me.

You can find Cougar made by Stoeger too. There was still life in the tooling when Beretta needed to make space for PX4 production in Italy, so they sent the Cougar tooling to Stoeger in Turkey to set up and run.. they still make runs of them once in a while, but none have been imported in a bit. But there are a number here, some made with forearm rails.

1713463182276.jpeg

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

View attachment 347567

View attachment 347570

Good God Man, that things so ugly, it doesn't even have a shadow....

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Okay, so say you want a 45, but don't want a 1911?
    What are all the options..

Well to say the least, there are plenty.
    Beretta, FN, Glock, H&K, Hi-Point, Kahr, Ruger, Sig, S&W, Star, Taurus, and Wather just to name a few.
    Seems like a well supported cartridge to me.

Good God Man, that things so ugly, it doesn't even have a shadow....
    The cougar looks much better to me.. but hey at least its not a boring brick.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    God said to Adam "Don't eat the Apple."
    God said to Noah "Build the ark".
    God said to Moses "Free my people".
    God said to John Browning "Build me the most kickass handgun mankind will ever know. I mean one they will be talking about hundreds of years later. And make it a real thumper, so they will know it's the work of my hand. Myself (God) I am so tired of those pipsqueak euro calibers. Make me something that can truly be the Hammer of God."
    So it is written, so shall it be done.
    And on the seventh day, God rested, and cranked off 500 rounds at the range, and He knew it was good.

(But he checked with Col. Cooper anyways, just to be sure.)

Chapter 17-25, from the Book of What Is...Chuck Taylor edition.

Top Bottom