• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mojo2530

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Cedar Lake
    was wondering if anyone is into tracking their ancestory. i never have been , but my aunt has been for some time now and recently she said she is pretty shure that francis scott key( creator of thr "star spangled banner") is her 7th or 8th grandfather i cant remember which but if she is right he would be my 8th or 9th grandfather. i found that some what intresting. and was curious if anyone else did research their family history to find something intresting.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    It's fun, interesting, and you need to spend a few bucks. ancestry.com seems to have the market cornered. I found out my great great grandfather was a 1st/Sgt in the 7th Indiana Cav. Unfortunately he didn't survive the war.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    LOTS OF FUN I HAVE MY FATHERS FAMILY BACK INTO THE 1600'S IN GERMANY THEY CAME HERE FROM GERMANY IN 1762 TWO BROTHERS THEIR WIVES AND 15 CHILDREN ALL SURVIED NO ONE THROWN OVER BOARD I CAN NOT EVEN EMAGINE THAT HARD ENOUGH TO DRIVE 6 HOURS TO NASHVILLE WITH ALL THE KIDS

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I know about some of my ancestors back to the 15th century or something like that.
    Being from Europe and since my family almost never left the country it's easy to track down, plus my family name is quite rare so I was able to track down some ancestors who moved to north America to was is now Quebec.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Yes, I've tracked both sides of my family back 400 years. The tree gets spread pretty far at that point, but according to Ancestry.com there have been some pretty cool folks in my history.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Genealogy is an amazing thing...

You can learn all kinds of neat things about your Family to pass to the next Generation to instill Pride in their Heritage and Name.

We have part of my Family traced back to the 800's, yet we have other parts of the Tree that just stop cold in the Latter 1800's.

3 great Sources for Genealogical Information are;
    The Church of the Latter Day Saints...
    The Library of Congress...
    The Fort Wayne Public Library...

Most information can be found for free if you are willing to do the Leg Work to find and track the Data...
    It is actually Kinda fun...

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My dad's side can be traced back to the 1600's when they came from Buckinghamshire, England on a boat called the Amity. They settled as quakers in Bucks Co. Pennsylvania. Geneology is cool!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Genealogy is an amazing thing...

You can learn all kinds of neat things about your Family to pass to the next Generation to instill Pride in their Heritage and Name.

Until you find out you are related to Hitler or some other crazy man. :):
    You never know what kind of person you can find in your family. :n00b:

kobra

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    My Mom and her cousin have done a bunch of research. She found out that Benjamin Franklin is my 8th or 9th Great Grandfather on her side. We're also somehow related to President McKinley.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Until you find out you are related to Hitler or some other crazy man. :):
    You never know what kind of person you can find in your family. :n00b:

Who told you I was?

In all seriousness, I have tracked some of my family back, and Im related to Red Skelton (I know that one isnt too far back, but its cool). There were a few other interesting ones, but Im too lazy to go upstairs and grab that notebook its written down in. Im only 26, and I find it interesting. Kinda cool to know where I came from in that aspect.

-MColford

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My aunt and great uncle (before he passed) got me started. I have TONS of info on my family. Working on my mother's side more recently, and started on my wife's family.

I've got great documentation back to the 1600's, no gaps, here in the US for my family. I need to get some UK/France leads to go farther.

My mom's family is a black hole just a few generations back. Looks like that will take some real legwork.

My wife's family has been pretty easy. Her grandmother was the first child born in the US, and her folks are still in touch with family in Italy.

I really enjoy the research, and documenting all the old stories. I missed soooo much I could have gotten from my grandfather, so I spend a lot of time with my grandmother and her sisters and cousins, just listening and writing stuff down.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Most interesting things I know, "Gorgeous George" won his first title in the middle weight division of the Pacific somethingorother wrestling league in Eugene, OR in 1939 from my maternal grandfather, and supposedly my paternal grandfather dated Marjorie Main (Ma Kettle) when they were in high school. A tradition of losers! I continue it!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Hmm...seems as if there aren't more than 2 or 3 small branches going back to the 1600s. I'm not really sure what that means.

mojo2530

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Cedar Lake
    "A tradition of losers! I continue it!"

thats funny i told my wife being related to francis scott key really takes the pressure of me cuz every family tree needs someone who did something really memorable so no i can just sit back and relax

Top Bottom