• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Is the red film on this barrel red Loctite and shouldn't I remove it and apply a fresh drop or two when I install it into the upper?

And how does one remove dried Loctite? Will acetone do it?
    M15Barrel_zps4f0rszjo.jpg

G3hkray

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    valparaiso
    I looks like loctite. There shouldn't be any there
    if anything it should be thin coat of anti seize.
    Yes acetone/ brake clean and a nylon brush will take it off

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Chamber end of a barrel? G3 is right. No locite used there. I am going to guess that it is dried grease or anti seize. Acetone or mineral spirits should remove it. You want a little anti seize or Moly grease on it when it goes back on.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Chamber end of a barrel? G3 is right. No locite used there. I am going to guess that it is dried grease or anti seize. Acetone or mineral spirits should remove it. You want a little anti seize or Moly grease on it when it goes back on.

^^ This, there are very few things (at least in my opinion) that require red loctite and on the chamber end of the barrel is not one of those places.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I have heard of people "bedding" the barrel with loctite, but always assumed blue was used. I would put some grease on there instead as well as the threads.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    This barrel came off of a Armalite factory rifle built around 2002. Based on your comments, I would call it anti-seize instead of Loctite. I don't remember the gunsmith heating the old upper (or beating on it) to remove it.

Good advice though, this will be the first upper I've built.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    No loctite....like all others have said, should use antiseize or grease in there. Bedding it is another can of worms but i've never heard of using loctite for that purpose.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I've used some other compounds to bed loose uppers to receiver extensions but its a PITA and a high quality barrel mated to a high quality upper can already be a huge PITA to mate (which is perfect in my opinion).

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Thanks for the input fellas.

I haven't done a test fit on the components yet. This is supposed to be a build done exclusively by my Jr. Shooter, I am supposed to only be an advisor, no hands on for me. We'll see how that goes. :rolleyes:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Thanks for the input fellas.

I haven't done a test fit on the components yet. This is supposed to be a build done exclusively by my Jr. Shooter, I am supposed to only be an advisor, no hands on for me. We'll see how that goes. :rolleyes:

I've done this with my boy a few times on a couple 80% builds. It's awesome time well spent. And he has a great memory of a gun build that he and his dad done together!

Top Bottom