• Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You don't seem to be very happy. :):

??

I am annoyed that guys jump me for my statements, but I am WAY too secure than to take it personally. I am glad for whatever a guy shoots. It is comforting that a man that also shoots will probably not be voting for an anti gunner on election day. I have been around long enough to have lived through the Ford vs Chevy type stuff, even in that, I am not a brand supporter. I have owned both great and poor examples of both of them. No one can find any history of me slamming another man for his choice in what product he likes.

No part of my original post had any element attacking anyone. Re-read my original post, it was simply giving the .40 S&W a fair assessment as a decent cartridge. Even at that, if .40 had never been invented, I would not have cared. We have plenty of good choices for any need.

Last edited:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I never liked my compact .40 personally. Recoil was way too snappy and follow up shots were always a lot higher than I was used to with my .38's. The .45 has been my go to since and I'll not look back. Much like college, the .40 is just not for everyone. What makes it nice is there are plenty of viable options for people.

Also, glocks suck, JMB was a genius and 1911's fo lyfe!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I guess I am required to jump in and say that shooting the Sig P229 in .40 is very comfortable and enjoyable IMHO. The pistol was designed for it and not a 9mm pistol converted to .40.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I guess I am required to jump in and say that shooting the Sig P229 in .40 is very comfortable and enjoyable IMHO. The pistol was designed for it and not a 9mm pistol converted to .40.

You are the 3rd or forth man I have heard talking about the Sig in 40. The price is a keeps it out of the "I will just buy one and see if I like it" category. Does that model have a magazine safety interlock?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You are the 3rd or forth man I have heard talking about the Sig in 40. The price is a keeps it out of the "I will just buy one and see if I like it" category. Does that model have a magazine safety interlock?
    A magazine disconnect safety? No. I think I read somewhere that they make some for Kalifornia but I don't think I have a Sig with one.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Had a G23 and sold it within two weeks of buying it. Didn't like it at all. Thought I was done with .40's, until a deal I couldn't pass up on a 229 came along!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm not a huge Glock fan, but I still like my G23. Although, if the P10C in .40 is half as good as it is in 9mm, I could part ways with it down the road.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't believe there is anything wrong, insufficient or flawed with the .40S&W cartridge. It has performed well for many years now. It undoubtedly comes with increased recoil over the 9mm, whether that increased recoil creates an issue is dependent upon the shooter. The science of terminal ballistics are rife with myth and folklore and long held beliefs die extremely hard, even when proven flawed.

There is also nothing wrong, insufficient or flawed with the modern day 9mm cartridge. I do believe that most shooters would benefit from the reduced recoil but that does not eliminate the .40S&W from relevance. If you manage the .40 well then the time is now to take full advantage of the momentum swing back toward the 9mm. Buy pistols cheap and stock up on ammo while the gettin is good.

The reality is that there is a wide variety of handgun calibers/ammunition which are capable of performing as intended if the bullets are placed on the money. Penetration, expansion and weight retention are the only considerations worth fretting about. Muzzle velocity, kinetic energy and "knock down power" are bunk when handgun ammunition is the topic of discussion. Save those for discussions about rifle ammunition, where they matter. You can shoot a .45ACP+P+P+P+P+P+P Nitro Express Weatherby Short Action Magnum and if it doesn't maintain a velocity of at least 2200fps upon impact it isn't going to be any more capable than any other handgun round out there, you'll just enjoy the benefit of beating your gun to hell and the testosterone of bragging about how big and/or fast your bullets are.

Do your research. Find a caliber you shoot well from a reliable platform and select a capable bullet to feed it. God forbid the time should come when you need it, it'll do its part if you do yours.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I never liked my compact .40 personally. Recoil was way too snappy and follow up shots were always a lot higher than I was used to with my .38's. The .45 has been my go to since and I'll not look back. Much like college, the .40 is just not for everyone. What makes it nice is there are plenty of viable options for people.

Also, glocks suck, JMB was a genius and 1911's fo lyfe!
    I don't have a lot of experience with 40's, but I was in the "too snappy" camp until this past weekend. A buddy of mine has a G23 which I had shot, and didn't care for. However, Saturday I got to shoot his Shield. I knew he had gotten the Shield mainly for his wife, and I guess I had assumed it was a 9mm. I put a mag through it and liked it a lot. Didn't seem "snappy" at all. I didn't realize it was a 40 until I looked at it more closely. I don't know if it was just psychological (thinking it was a 9) or just the difference in ergonomics (Glocks, any caliber, just don't fit my hands comfortably), but if I felt like getting into yet another caliber, I wouldn't hesitate to get a Shield in 40. Maybe the full sized M&P 40 would be the same for me (maybe better with the additional weight). I'd really like to get a Shield in 45 acp though, mainly because I already reload for it, but also because I just like that round.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I don't have a lot of experience with 40's, but I was in the "too snappy" camp until this past weekend. A buddy of mine has a G23 which I had shot, and didn't care for. However, Saturday I got to shoot his Shield. I knew he had gotten the Shield mainly for his wife, and I guess I had assumed it was a 9mm. I put a mag through it and liked it a lot. Didn't seem "snappy" at all. I didn't realize it was a 40 until I looked at it more closely. I don't know if it was just psychological (thinking it was a 9) or just the difference in ergonomics (Glocks, any caliber, just don't fit my hands comfortably), but if I felt like getting into yet another caliber, I wouldn't hesitate to get a Shield in 40. Maybe the full sized M&P 40 would be the same for me (maybe better with the additional weight). I'd really like to get a Shield in 45 acp though, mainly because I already reload for it, but also because I just like that round.

I have an M&P .40 along with 9mm and .357 sig barrels for it. When shooting .40 it is definitely more snappy than 9mm but still manageable and less snappy than the .357 Sig. The only other .40 I've shot is XD and it seemed a bit less snappy than the M&P but that may have been due more to differences in ammo. Of course I've heard people complain about 10mm too and I haven't had an issue with full power loads in my G20 either. I just bought a Shield in .45 which I'm planning on shooting for the first time this weekend. I'm expecting it to be a bit of a handful due to the very thin grips.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't believe there is anything wrong, insufficient or flawed with the .40S&W cartridge. It has performed well for many years now. It undoubtedly comes with increased recoil over the 9mm, whether that increased recoil creates an issue is dependent upon the shooter. The science of terminal ballistics are rife with myth and folklore and long held beliefs die extremely hard, even when proven flawed.

There is also nothing wrong, insufficient or flawed with the modern day 9mm cartridge. I do believe that most shooters would benefit from the reduced recoil but that does not eliminate the .40S&W from relevance. If you manage the .40 well then the time is now to take full advantage of the momentum swing back toward the 9mm. Buy pistols cheap and stock up on ammo while the gettin is good.

The reality is that there is a wide variety of handgun calibers/ammunition which are capable of performing as intended if the bullets are placed on the money. Penetration, expansion and weight retention are the only considerations worth fretting about. Muzzle velocity, kinetic energy and "knock down power" are bunk when handgun ammunition is the topic of discussion. Save those for discussions about rifle ammunition, where they matter. You can shoot a .45ACP+P+P+P+P+P+P Nitro Express Weatherby Short Action Magnum and if it doesn't maintain a velocity of at least 2200fps upon impact it isn't going to be any more capable than any other handgun round out there, you'll just enjoy the benefit of beating your gun to hell and the testosterone of bragging about how big and/or fast your bullets are.

Do your research. Find a caliber you shoot well from a reliable platform and select a capable bullet to feed it. God forbid the time should come when you need it, it'll do its part if you do yours.

^^^This^^^

Top Bottom