• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Yes...it is time for a new AR build. My Zombie Squad group buy lower arrived today from APG Arms. (If you have a 10 round Saiga shotgun mag you know who these folks are) It looks very nice with a deep velvety black finish, the Zombie Squad logo engraved on the side, ZS serial number, and American flag on the front of the mag well. I have settled on the 6.5 MPC caliber for this build. Yes it is a wildcat without any available factory ammo but it is a simple case to make (or I can buy brass pre-formed). It will allow me to use any of the excellent 6.5mm low drag bullets available with a 95 gr reaching 2800. This will be a mid-range (out to 700 yards) rifle.

zs1.jpg

zs3copy.jpg

Now I will need to start gathering parts...

Upper will be a Blackheart International without forward assist BHI AR-15 Stripped Upper Receiver, No Forward Assist

Bolt will be a Young Manufacturing National Match with side charging handle AR-15 and M-16 Bolt Carriers by Young Manufacturing, Inc. Y/M Manufacturing

Trigger will be an American Trigger Corp AR Gold American Trigger Corporation

Buttstock will be the excellent Magpul PRS PRS™ - Precision Rifle/Sniper

Forend will be the Hogue over molded AR-15/M-16 Free Float Forend with OD Green Rubber Gripping area [15204] - $94.46 : Hogue Inc., The Best Value In Handgun Grips, Rifle Stocks and Accessories - Bar None!

Barrel....ah, that is the question I haven't resolved yet. I am looking at Hart in a 24 inch to make the most of slower burning powders.

This will be a long term project as I will need to spread the cost out over time...these are expensive components I plan on using. This is also likely my last AR build for awhile as I will have most of the AR bases covered, a lightweight, HBar, 300 Whisper, shorty...this will give me an Ar platform for just about any scenario I may run into for fun, competition, or hunting.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Mind if I ask why no forward assist? The only reason I ask is it looks like (prob. the way I'm reading it) you specifically wanted it to not have one. Are there actual advantages to NOT having one?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Exactly, with the side charging handle the forward assist is not needed and removing it simplifies both the looks of the upper as well as removing something that has the potential to break. Any time you can remove a redundant mechanical system from a machine you are improving reliability. I debated with myself about going with and upper without the FO and without the ejection port cover but I found if I wanted a billet upper I would have to have the ejection port cover...I can live with it.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Mind if I ask why no forward assist? The only reason I ask is it looks like (prob. the way I'm reading it) you specifically wanted it to not have one. Are there actual advantages to NOT having one?

You have to remeber that the original design of the AR never had an F/A. It wasnt till the Vietnam war that the F/A was added as a work around to the real issue that was later found to be the wrong powder mixed with the hard humid climate of teh jungle. Since then technology has come a long way and the need for a F/A is gone. Look at the design of the majority of teh AR based 308 guns, give you one guess what they DONT have. The F/A on modern AR's is just as much about not wanting to change the design as much as nostalga(sp?).
    It's a solution to a problem that doesnt exist but some would say it's better to have and not need then need and not have.

Just some food for tought.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    On the above comments from RolexRifleman...

This is all very true, I cannot recall ever using the FO on any of my ARs unless I rode the charging handle forward. I have seen guys who habitually load then hit the FO every time they do a mag change and one case where the FO failed and stay pushed in causing drag on the bolt and a malfunction. Of course if need be I could always tap the side charging handle.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    This reminds me of a comment I made to a buddy of mine once, " Your car has run flat tires, why the hell did a jack come with it?"

we get so used to things it amazes me how long we still keep then around even after the become obsolete.

Looking forward to seeing pics of the mill work on teh upper.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    You just made me think...my Mini Cooper not only has run flats but there is not a spare or a place to put a spare in the car and yes...it does have a jack in it!

The mill work will just be a straight slot start at the back edge of the ejection port going back about an inch and a quarter. I still am considering this Fulton Armory upper receiver but I really want billet for this.

SideCockCloseup-400.jpg

Top Bottom