• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fire1035

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    So I sent Andre a letter in reference to his name not appearing with the other Dems on the letter about no new AWB. Shockingly enough he responded to me. Unshockingly this is the response I received. This is verbatim how it came to me. I have made NO typographical or grammatical errors in transposing it to here.

Thank you for contacting me to voice your concerns about the protection of the Second Amendment.

As a former law enforcement officer, I respect the constitutionally guaranteed right of all Americans to bear arms and believe that it should be protected. Most American gun owners register their weapons, follow all necessary safety precautions, and use them only as tools for protection or recreation. However, the United States has an unacceptably high level of gun crime. I believe that strong restrictions must enacted that protect the public and the Second Amendment right of all Americans.

I appreciate hearing yours thoughts and concerns about this important issue. Thank you for contacting me and please let me know if I can be of assistance to you on other matters.

Sincerely,

Andre Carson
    Member of Congress

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Andre Carson responds to 2A concerns

April 1, 2009

Several weeks ago, I sent an email to my congressman, Andre Carson stating my concern about attempts by this Congress to infringe my 2A rights. I received a response today. He wrote:

"Thank you for contacting me to voice your concerns about the protection of the Second Amendment.

As a former law enforcement officer, I respect the constitutionally guaranteed right of all Americans to bear arms and believe that it should be protected. Most American gun owners register their weapons, follow all necessary safety precautions, and use them only as tools for protection or recreation. However, the United States has an unacceptably high level of gun crime. I believe that strong restrictions must (sic) enacted that protect both the public and the Second Amendment rights of all Americans. (my emphasis)

I appreciate hearing your thoughts and concerns about this important issue. Thank you for contacting me and please let me know if I can be of assistance to you on other matters.

Sincerely,

Andre Carson
    Member of Congress

You may send your own message to Congressman Carson on his website:
    Congressman André Carson - Representing Indiana's Seventh Congressional District

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I got the same treatment from Sen. Bayh. Unfortunately, it is SOP on the hill to try to make your constituents believe that they actually read and or care about your communication. What really happens is that some low level staffer compiles the yeas and nays in case the pol wants some feed back on a particular issue. They write canned letters on every subject that are automatically sent out. So, contacting them (unless you are a wealthy contributor) is a total joke.

My next email message wasn't quite so polite.

fire1035

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    I got the same treatment from Sen. Bayh. Unfortunately, it is SOP on the hill to try to make your constituents believe that they actually read and or care about your communication. What really happens is that some low level staffer compiles the yeas and nays in case the pol wants some feed back on a particular issue. They write canned letters on every subject that are automatically sent out. So, contacting them (unless you are a wealthy contributor) is a total joke.

My next email message wasn't quite so polite.

Nor will be mine. My wife is supposed to be writing a persuasive paper for her English class tomorrow. It may end up being on why one should be against gun control.

T J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Castleton
    Why doesn't congress work hard on restricting the other basic rights and those amendments that have followed?

oh, wait a minute....

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I got the exact same letter, verbatim, in response to a letter of mine, some months ago. I responded with the following:

Thank you very much for your thoughts concerning gun control. I will keep your thoughts in mind when I vote in 2010.

You see, a person in your position cannot be ignorant of the facts unless he is willfully so.

A person in your position cannot help but know that there is a strong positive correlation between "gun control" in the US and violent crime--the more "gun control," the more violent crime.

A person in your position cannot help but know that the foreign examples of low crime or low gun crime had their low crime even before they enacted gun control legislation, and the trend has been for crime to increase after gun control is enacted.

A person in your position cannot help but know that India's severe gun control, amounting to an outright ban for all practical purposes, did not stop the terrorists from obtaining guns and killing large numbers of people with them. That "gun control" only ensured that the victims could not fight back.

A person in your position cannot help but know that every time easing the infringement on the right to keep and bear arms is proposed (as, for instance, when a State proposes "shall issue" on handgun licenses) the predictions of "blood in the streets" are made, but every time the easing actually happens, the predictions fail to come true.

A person in your position cannot help but know that, for stated purpose of reducing individual risk of violent crime, gun control does not work.

Since you cannot help but know these things, I have to presume that there are other reasons for your stated position in favor of "strong restrictions" on guns.

Top Bottom