• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I had planned to look seriously at purchasing an android tablet this holiday shopping season. By the time the shopping season came around, I was hoping pricing and usability would be where they should be.

A 10 inch touch screen device seems like a good fit to me. The plan is to size my next Maxpedition EDC bag to house this thing along with my other murse stuff.

The planning for my timing has seemingly been bumped up. I just found out the need to have a device in my hands has been moved up to early October.

Advice appreciated, TIA.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    for the money i like two brands. they are both 400 and 500 respectfully depending on drive space

the asus 16 or 32

or the toshiba 16 or 32. this one is the better one to me. reasons are. you can buy replacement batteries and have them charged up and ready to go. they are pricey but it can be done. secondly the toshiba takes the bigger memory car which is a little cheaper, thirdly the toshiba has a decent amount of connecting ports available.

these are the two that i am considering

good luck

jake

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and couldn't be happier with it. I'm typically an Apple kind of guy with portable electronics, but the Galaxy Tab puts the iPad to shame. I have an iPhone 4 and love it for simplicity and convenience in a phone, but the iPad 2 is just a bigger dumbed down version of it, not what I want in a PC. I guess I don't have to explain the merits of Android to you like I do my friends..but I'll just say this thing is super fast with 1GB of RAM...more than any tablet I'm aware of. The speakers are the best I've heard in a anything up through laptops. And the LED screen is glorious. Makes my iPhone 4 look dull and outdated. I'm really sad the iPad 2 is leading the way into electronic cockpit charts because if I ever have to use one, it will be a significant downgrade in hardware and capability.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and couldn't be happier with it.

I've heard a bit about the Galaxy. I'm playing catchup in my study and podcast watching though.

One quick question;
    If I'm gonna toss $500-600 at it, should I take this unit with full blown Windows 7 and some other hardware (better and worse) differences into consideration?
    51ig1xc4zDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-iD-4495FNT-Docking-Station/dp/B004XZMCAY/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1315360439&sr=8-20"]Amazon.com: Dell Inspiron DUO iD-4495FNT Laptop with Docking Station (Foggy Night): Computers & Accessories[/ame]

Last edited:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I goty iPad 1 with 64gb of memory for $400, just thought I throw that out there as an option

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    That's more like a netbook to me. I actually bought an Asus Eee PC not too long ago. Short of Alienware, they're my favorite PC maker. After playing with it, I didn't like the netbook idea in general. Poor ergonomics, performance, capabilities, etc. With a tablet, esp. the Galaxy Tab or iPad, you can have a top notch entertainment device that doubles as a PC. With a $50 blue tooth keyboard and $20 protective case that doubles a stand, you have a pc superior to about any netbook.

Not to mention keys to Microsoft office products are $15 on Android market and they expect you to pay the full $200 on the netbooks running Windows 7. That was actually the reason I decided to sell my Eee PC, which I haven't yet lol.., and get a tablet. Heck, if you want it $250 with a nice case.

Hookfish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have the acer a500 and I am HUGE fan of it. One really nice feature is that it has the option to expand the memory with up to a 32 gb memory card. The one con is it is slightly heavier than most tablets but it hasn't bothered me. It usually runs for $400 but I picked mine up when there were a few stores giving you a $100 gift card too. Not sure of that sale is out there. As far as performance, it is as good as any other Android tablet out there.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Check out the Asus EEE Pad Transformer.

It is an Android tablet that docks onto a keyboard to turn into a small droid based netbook. It's much easier for typing this way, and the keyboard has a 2nd battery in it that will extend the total battery life of the combo up to 16 hours.

IMHO, it's versatile, useful, and one of the best "bang for the buck" deals out there in tabs right now (all-around performance vs. price). The 16 GB will cost you $400 for the tab only and $500 for the tab/keyboard combo. It has a microSD card slot in the tab to expand the memory if you like (up to 32 GB extra IIRC) and a miniHDMI out. The dock has a regular SD card slot (up to 32 GB as well) and 2 USB 2.0 slots. Theoretically, you could add on a crapload of memory and still be able to hook it up to your external hard-drive for infinite more memory.

For the use you listed, this would be my choice because of the extra battery life and added versatility.

BTW, I have one and I LOVE it. I have a few very small "complaints" but I'm pretty picky, and they're really not a big deal.

eta for pic
    ASUS_EeePadTransformer_4.jpg

Last edited:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If Android isnt a "must" and value is a consideration, the HP Touchpad with WebOS is going for $99 due to HP dropping that OS..

That's a STEAL if you can get your hands on one..

Oh, if you are fairly tech savvy you CAN hack Android onto a Touchpad..

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If Android isnt a "must" and value is a consideration, the HP Touchpad with WebOS is going for $99 due to HP dropping that OS..

That's a STEAL if you can get your hands on one..

Oh, if you are fairly tech savvy you CAN hack Android onto a Touchpad..

Any further on where these can be had?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Why not get the new htc jetstream? It's only $850 and comes with the free $80 stylus pen this month. I know u want that sweet pen burl! Ha ha

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Why not get the new htc jetstream? It's only $850 and comes with the free $80 stylus pen this month. I know u want that sweet pen burl! Ha ha

I'm no techie, but isn't it supposed to be a touch screen? How many of those pens will spend the rest of their lives hidden in nooks and crannies with dried up McD's french fries?

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm no techie, but isn't it supposed to be a touch screen? How many of those pens will spend the rest of their lives hidden in nooks and crannies with dried up McD's french fries?

Yes...you can use a stylus with just about any touch screen if you rather that over your finger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011

Well Lexie is on probably her 8th stylus pen for her DS since she keeps losing them. Her grandma found one in her floor vent but no fries. Lol

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Top Bottom