• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • apache67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Tipton
    Anyone else encountered anger over the fact that you prep? I find it interesting. Whenever I speak of prepping, not even hardcore, SHTF prepping, just general prepping for blizzards, power outages, etc., I find people who do not prep get downright angry. They question my intelligence, sanity, and sometimes, my patriotism as if being prepared makes me some crazy anti-government Ted Kaczynski.:dunno: They say, "Oh, are you one of those crazy Doomsday Preppers?"
    Thank you very much, NatGeo:xmad:

I ask them why they wouldn't want to be prepared for 3 days without water after a water main freezes, or have a simple weeks' worth of food during an ice storm when you can't get out (besides, the stores are empty already)?? Their thought processes are just foreign to me.

Maybe they just don't want to face the fact that life isn't all puppies and rainbows. Let 'em suffer.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Yep. Someone who I thought was one of my good buddies. When he found out about firearms and about prepping he just thought it was hysterical, and when I stood up for it he just got angry. :dunno:

We don't hang out much anymore.

Joke is on him.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I read an article by an East Coast writer that said it was "unfair" for people to have a generator because then they could have electricity when others couldn't. Talked real trash about people who prepare.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I read an article by an East Coast writer that said it was "unfair" for people to have a generator because then they could have electricity when others couldn't. Talked real trash about people who prepare.

Of course, if we can't all have it, no one should. :rolleyes:

Indy 1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am not a prepper, but I typically have a weeks worth of food and of course a few guns. This is the problem with people. Why should anyone care what you do if it is not illegal and does not effect them?

apache67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Tipton
    The thing that really makes me shake my head is that some of these people have even gone through tough times, but didn't learn anything from it. My sister went without power for a week after a Michigan blizzard, had to cook everything on a gas grill, use heat from the fireplace, and she still won't store extra food/water. I just don't get it.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    What I find irritating is the snarky looks I get when they are saying , " Well then , if some thing really happens , we are going to your house ".

I see it as a ....... passive aggressive low level threat or a test of my response and I'm not really sure what to say .....

This is why I do not talk about preparing for the unknown any more ..

Cottong2001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Down the road a piece...
    I find it best not to discuss that matter with anyone outside of close friends (ie ones I could rely on in such a scenario). Just like telling someone you have a bunch of guns (all of mine went down when my boat sank along with the evil high capacity magazines) or announcing on Facebook that you're going on vacation.

Baloo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm not a prepper, thanks to NatGeo. I'm a planner, and organizer. NatGeo shows people whom I do not even want to be associated with, so I had no problem changing my personal category. I remember one of them saying he poisons his food storage in case people steal it, and that made me want to distance myself from that group. I have a group of fellow planners and organizers whom are friends. Most of my family always had to plan ahead for Winter, storms, ect because of where they live. I never really thought about doing it myself until a couple years ago, and it has in the long run saved me money by buying in bulk.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    What I find irritating is the snarky looks I get when they are saying , " Well then , if some thing really happens , we are going to your house ".

I see it as a ....... passive aggressive low level threat or a test of my response and I'm not really sure what to say .....

This is why I do not talk about preparing for the unknown any more ..

I just tell them you can come but there is no guarantee you will be let in.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Why prepare for the worst case scenario, the government will see to it that we are taken care of, right? That is what government is all about, taking care of the subjects.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Whenever the topic comes up, I just tell people I am preparing for zombies. They usually just laugh and move on to a different subject. I don't see the point in arguing with people who don't see the importance of being self sufficient.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    people at work know im the gun nut, low level prepper. they know i have a get home bag that includes water purification (uv and microfilter) among some general camping supplies and some canned food. they have jokingly given me **** about it until i explain it, then its not such a bad idea. i had a low level shtf event about 3 weeks ago. water line from well to house froze, had no water for about a week. luckily being on septic, i could still flush. we have a creek that runs through the property, so i went and filled totes up with water to run the toilets, and filtered a couple gallons for drinking, coffee, etc. stopped by my dads for showers, was not too bad, but i was glad i had the ability to make available water usable, as that could have been really bad. the people who made fun of me being slightly prepped were surpised when i told them i had no water, even more so when i said it was not that big of a deal and explained how i made my morning coffee with creek water. small amounts of s do typically htf quite often, just hope it is not your fan, and be ready to clean it up if it is.

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I think the major reason behind their anger is that they feel the Government should help them when SHTF scenarios come along, like Katrina, and Sandy. And if the government won't help, then we as "good neighbors" should help them out during that particular crisis. Kinda like the story of the cricket and the ant. These people who laugh and balk at you, especially the anti-gun nazi's, will be crying for our assistance if/when the SHTF.

ME.....I plan on standing in my well stocked, well defended home, and reap the benefits of both my preparedness, and my convictions.

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Whenever the topic comes up, I just tell people I am preparing for zombies. They usually just laugh and move on to a different subject. I don't see the point in arguing with people who don't see the importance of being self sufficient.

God bless zombies! They allow rational people to prepare. I wonder if the laughing people realize that they are the zombies?

Top Bottom