• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KobeBeefKatana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    Westfield
    Just looking for some feedback from anyone who wears a back-up down by their hoof. I've been thinking about this lately for some reason and I would like to know what your opinions are on a wheel gun vs semi-auto, holsters, location on the leg, etc.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    If you are right handed, ankle holster should be carried on the inside of your left ankle. Opposite if a lefty.

As far as the gun of choice, pick your poison. I preferred a S&W 442 for many years, but there are a great many compact autos that currently would work well.

Holsters, Galco makes the best with Desantis Apache close behind.

KobeBeefKatana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    Westfield
    I appreciate the timely reply. I have been window shopping around and was checking out the LCRx in .38. I think that the .357 model is pointless since 1. It's Heavier and B. The external ballistics cannot be that much different out of a snub to that of a .38 +p. I will say that those 442's do seem hard to beat

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So the inside-weak leg carry is for better concealment?

So you can reach it easily with your right hand. Also so it isn't banging and catching on stuff.

S&W642 in a Galco ankle glove on the left ankle. I am right handed. But I don't often carry a BUG. I did carry the BUG on Sunday because I had family pictures and I figured it might be possible that I would have to remove my primary.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    OK fat people drive, an ankle set up is nice for long drives in the car, I sometimes carry a Glock-27 .40 cal in a De Santis Apache, and recently reclaimed a Glock-43 9mm from the wife, I may try with that set up too.
    Ankle carry has its pros and cons, one being you get shot in the top of your head by the bad guy as you go for your gun, (in that case you'll never know what hit you), but depending again on the situation, is very discrete.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    My problem is I'm fat and can't bend over in a timely manner lol

I have more than my fair share of excess belt real-estate, so my typical BUG location is my support side, behind my spare mag. I also have an ankle rig for the times belt carry isn't an option.
    If you post your location / County, someone may be able to help you out with trying one on to get a better feel for what our experiences have been.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My 642 is carried on my ankle as a BUG. I can't get to it fast and all tacticool like. My thoughts are it is for when my primary is disabled, I have sought cover and have time to get it. I carry a speed strip in left pocket for it as well.

KobeBeefKatana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    Westfield
    This is some great info guys, thanks for the feedback. I'd like to know how some of you present the firearm from the holster as well. Do you have a certain way you pull your pants leg or do you have something like a 4,5,6 step process that works on your fundamentals?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Definitely put the money into a good holster if you decide to ankle carry. I made the mistake of buying a no-name holster at the 1500 and it's near worthless. It was not cheap and is nicely made, but it ends up loose. I added a Galco calve strap to help support it, but it still does not work well. Go with what others have found works well, since all ankle holsters are not alike.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Drawing

1) while seated simply pull up pants with right hand and draw
    2) kneel on my right knee. Draw. This places me in a traditional kneeling stance
    3) step forward with my left leg and pull up the pants a bit with my left hand. Draw

of course this all works differently depending on the pants. Ankle carry is a compromise at best.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Remember as well it is a very dirty environment down there, clean often. A revolver has less chance of a dirt jam than a semi-auto, just something to consider. I carry a BUG in an ankle rig for many years but gave it up when I bought a Kramer Confident holster t-shirt. Now I have concealment Ts from several companies. They work great and a small semi like my KelTec PF9 disappears in them.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I appreciate the timely reply. I have been window shopping around and was checking out the LCRx in .38. I think that the .357 model is pointless since 1. It's Heavier and B. The external ballistics cannot be that much different out of a snub to that of a .38 +p. I will say that those 442's do seem hard to beat

The LCR/LCRx in 38+p is a great choice

mkin8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the reference to the Kramer Confident holster t-shirt. Haven't seen one but will be researching it asap. Sounds like it might work for me.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    As stated by 451 Detonics ankle carry will expose your gun to an awful lot of dust and grit (and maybe rain and snow) - which means you really need to inspect it frequently and keep it clean (compressed air is your friend). I worked on revolvers carried on the ankle of a number of detectives and they were all full of grit. If you were in the military and had to keep your dress shoes looking good you know what I'm talking about. If you never inspect or clean your carry piece ankle carry may not be your best option. Running with a gun strapped to your ankle is kind of a drag also. Just something to think about.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.

What has your eyes focused only on revolvers?

Top Bottom