Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have had good success with an Alien Gear cloak tuck 3.0 even when I need to have my shirt tucked in. A pastor friend of mine uses a Crossbreed IWB and is able to tuck in his polo style shirt with casual pants and when he wears dress pants with shirt/tie and no jacket. I tried ankle carry but found it too awkward for me but I am a big man and ankle carry presents too many problems in my line of work

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I also have a galco Lite ankle holster for a BUG ruger lc9.
    It's warm and fuzzy and comfortable. I wouldn't want to run a marathon with it on though.
    Actually, I wouldn't want to run a marathon any other time either. :D

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Another option would be a belly band. Atrocious name, but they seem like a good idea. Basically strap the thing around your hips, and then get dressed as normal. You would have to untuck your shirt to draw, but that would take about as long as ankle carry I would think.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Hol...1469796398&sr=1-4&keywords=belly+band+holster

I vote for this over ankle carry, especially for combat size guns vs. mouse/bug guns.

I have a Bianchi model (no longer made) that has served me well when no other carry method was practical. I was able to carry a double stack magazine Smith in it without difficulty, and they CAN be worn with the shirt tucked in. The draw is made through the shirt front and it can be positioned in a variety of ways.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Let us know what you get and how you like it in the long run. I have an ankle holster for my lcp that I have worn when it was necessary for it to not be seen, but I have almost totally stopped using it after putting some thought into how difficult it would be to access the firearm in a confrontation. It's not so much the speed of the draw from ankle that scares me off, but the difficulty of concealing my draw and my reluctance to lower my head down where it can get kicked or similarly abused, plus the loss of mobility and stability when drawing from the ankle.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Let us know what you get and how you like it in the long run. I have an ankle holster for my lcp that I have worn when it was necessary for it to not be seen, but I have almost totally stopped using it after putting some thought into how difficult it would be to access the firearm in a confrontation. It's not so much the speed of the draw from ankle that scares me off, but the difficulty of concealing my draw and my reluctance to lower my head down where it can get kicked or similarly abused, plus the loss of mobility and stability when drawing from the ankle.

I see your point as a solo carry option. As BBI once stated, ankle carry as a BUG is not just for backup, but also as a different draw option. We can't pick and choose when and how we might have to draw. While we'd like to think of that scenario as always being on our feet, hands at our waist? There are no guarantees in anything.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I see your point as a solo carry option. As BBI once stated, ankle carry as a BUG is not just for backup, but also as a different draw option. We can't pick and choose when and how we might have to draw. While we'd like to think of that scenario as always being on our feet, hands at our waist? There are no guarantees in anything.

I agree. The best fit for me with ankle carry as a BUG is sitting, especially in a vehicle.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    You guys are right on.
    I wouldn't use ankle carry as my primary, but as my BUG or my BUGs BUG. Definitely a nice draw option while driving.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I have carried my Beretta 92F in a Smart Carry awhile back. Prior to my dickydoo problem. Was a great option. Still have it as I am optimistic I will beat the dickey doo.

I have a Galco Ankle Glove, Smart Carry and Mika Pocket holster for my S&W642. These allow for a lot of options. The ankle holster is the least used of the 3 options and even then I only use it for BUG when I can carry a full size primary. The smart carry allows for the deepest concealment of the three options.

Top Bottom